PDA

View Full Version : metronidazole for internal parasites questions

tchi
07/11/2014, 12:27 PM
I have a pair of clowns that I purchased a few weeks ago that looked fine externally when I got them, but I noticed after a few days that both had white stringy poop. The female was not eating and the male only ate small amounts occasionally.

Because of this, I moved them into a QT about two weeks ago and started prazipro treatments. They've just finished two rounds of prazipro and seem to be doing better. Both are very voracious eaters now appear much healthier than before. However, I notice that the male still has white stringy poop sometimes.

I'm going to begin metronidazole treatment specifically for internal parasites using Hikari Metro+ with the water bath method. The instructions says to treat every 24 hours for 5-7 days (50% water change before each new treatment) and discontinue if you don't see improvement in 3 days. Since metronidazole is used for all sorts of other things, I wanted to check for instructions specifically for internal parasites. Do you really need to treat daily for 5-7 days for internal parasites? Seems a little excessive...since that would be almost the entire bottle for one round of treatment.

Randyp79
07/29/2014, 05:10 PM
I had the exact same experience with a pair of picasso clowns that I just brought home a week ago. One of them had white stringy poop, but by the time I noticed and started Prazipro I think it was too late because he passed the next day. I also notice white stringy poop on the other clown, who seems to be getting better with prazipro and metronidazole bath. I am certainly going to treat for the entire length suggested on the bottle. I don't want whatever this is in any of my other fish in my DT. It killed quick, both were eating and doing well and then two days of not eating and he was dead.

Just curious how things turned out for you???

mayhem3d
07/30/2014, 12:22 PM
Metronidazole is a graet antibiotic against flagellates.

Ime using metro to treat gastrointestinal parasites is far more efficient when administered oraly.

I suggest using pure metro powder mixed with the food (frozen or pellets) daily for 7 days.

Seachem sells metro in the pure powder form.

Randyp79
07/31/2014, 05:48 PM
Update: The surviving clown didn't eat for a couple of days, but I am happy to report that he has responded well to the metronidazole and prazipro. His color is back and he is eating today. I have also started with live brine gut loaded with metronidazole and Prazipro as well. Might be overkill, but so far so good.