PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater

skins86
07/11/2014, 02:45 PM
Hey guys! Im a new member here and I am also new to saltwater fish (1 week). I got a 15g nano tank with 2 fishes a yellow damsel,a yellow tail damsel and a grass coral with some LR and LS. have been researching a lot about saltwater and I would really appreciate if you guys can shed some more light about saltwater since im only a beginner. Thank you guys. Im a bit cautious about the ich thing. What are the dos and donts

Im from the Philippines :beer:

skins86
07/11/2014, 02:48 PM
What is the best feed for my fish with right amount of garlic so I can avoid the ich thing? Thank you for those who'll help.

This hobby is addicting and makes my wallet thinner. lol

skins86
07/11/2014, 02:50 PM
What are the very important things that I need to squeeze inside my brain... lol being a saltwater beginner makes my head explode because of information overload...

Zer0.
07/11/2014, 02:54 PM
hope by 1 week you mean that your tank has been done cycling for 1 week and not that you put 2 fish straight in a brand new 15 gallon tank 1 week ago:twitch:

Zer0.
07/11/2014, 02:59 PM
How are your water parameters? Tempeture, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph? Usually the more info you can provide about your setup the better advise you will get. Also the best way to prevent Ich is by quarenting fish and using the tank transfer method or by observing for 4-6 weeks and treating with some form of copper based medication if it does show up. Good luck, 15 gallon tank is a hard size to start out with new to the hobby.

shesacharmer
07/11/2014, 03:28 PM
We really hope you didn't bring your fish and your tank home the same day...shame on the store that would let you do that.

whosurcaddie
07/11/2014, 04:46 PM
We really hope you didn't bring your fish and your tank home the same day...shame on the store that would let you do that.

You would think they would understand being honest with people would create repeat customers.

Kyle918
07/11/2014, 09:04 PM
Hey guys! Im a new member here and I am also new to saltwater fish (1 week). I got a 15g nano tank with 2 fishes a yellow damsel,a yellow tail damsel and a grass coral with some LR and LS. have been researching a lot about saltwater and I would really appreciate if you guys can shed some more light about saltwater since im only a beginner. Thank you guys. Im a bit cautious about the ich thing. What are the dos and donts

Im from the Philippines :beer:

First off, welcome to Reef Cemtral!

Congrats on your new tank. A few questions though. Exactly how long has the tank been running and when were the two fish added? Do you know how many lbs of live rock you have in there?

If you have good live rock and sand than you may not witness much of a cycle if any at all. I would keep feeding to a minimum and check for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If you register any ammonia, you will need to take action to reduce the levels. A sizable water change will help. I would test for ammonia daily or twice daily until it and nitrite are consistently zero.

What is the best feed for my fish with right amount of garlic so I can avoid the ich thing? Thank you for those who'll help.

This hobby is addicting and makes my wallet thinner. lol

I wouldn't focus too heavily on garlic. Several pellet foods contain it anyway and the amount isn't of much concern, IMO. Garlic also won't eradicate ich. Fish would have to be quarantined in a standalone tank for several weeks, around 8, and go through various eradication methods and treatments to properly and more reliably treat and prevent ich.

What are the very important things that I need to squeeze inside my brain... lol being a saltwater beginner makes my head explode because of information overload...

I would recommend doing some research on the Nitrogen cycle and purchase a saltwater test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will also need to know the temperature and salinity of the water. I would recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer, especially for your size tank. Generally with less water volume comes less wiggle room before water parameters fluctuate. It would be beneficial to have the accuracy of a refractometer for water changes.

Lastly, I wouldn't add anything else to the tank for a little bit. Every tank needs time to mature and usually go through some degree of cycling during its initial stages. These initial stages could take months to come and go.