PDA

View Full Version : New Sump, new problems

reef_aholic
07/13/2014, 11:10 AM
I recently replaced my sump. I have put a 30 g with baffles for bubble trap, and fuge. I used Silicone I, a silicone through research, is aquarium safe. I am having problems now, with some of my corals. My red Moniticap, lost a fair amount of its skin, kind of looks like it is holding in there for now. My pink goniopora, has been pulled in now for 4 days. I have tested water params, and everything seems in check. I have carbon running, and have Phosban in a reactor that is currently offline.

Cal-435
Mag-1410
Alk-9.9
Amm-.1
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- next to 0
Phos- undetectable
Salinity- 1.025
Temp-78

I have one frogspawn that is looking alright, and another that is terribly spindly, and not extended at all. The tentacles are skinny and long, not plump and extended as previous. I have a few Acans, they all seem to be doing fine. I have some Zoas, they seem fine. Fish seem unaffected. The tank is a 90 gal, with 2 AI hydra, lighting hasn't changed in a few weeks. It all came down hill since the sump change. I rinsed the sump with hose in back yard a few times, and tried to make it as clean as possible. I have done ALOT of water changes in the days since, trying to clean up the system if there was anything in that tank. I am kinda giving up, and losing hope for most of my corals! Any help would greatly be appreciated. I will try and post pics.

JRR1285
07/13/2014, 11:25 AM
How long did you let the silicone cure before bringing the sump online?

Did the old sump have a DSB that you relocated to the new sump? If so, maybe it could have released something toxic during the transfer?

reef_aholic
07/13/2014, 11:29 AM

reef_aholic
07/13/2014, 11:31 AM
The old sump did not have a sand bed. I let silicone set over night. Probably about 14 hours.

Ma_reefer
07/13/2014, 11:34 AM
The old sump did not have a sand bed. I let silicone set over night. Probably about 14 hours.

I recently built a DIY sump and used ge silicone 1 and I believe it takes 24 hours for a 3/16 bead to cure "depending on environmental factors" I believe is there wording on the tube

reef_aholic
07/13/2014, 11:38 AM
Ok, I am thinking the only thing that it can be is the silicone. I would suspect if the silicone wasnt fully cured, that it would affect the whole tank. Do you know why only a few of the corals are being affected? And will they come back?

myram
07/13/2014, 11:42 AM
I only use Aquarium Safe silicone, and I let it set for 5-7 days with a fan blowing on it to fully cure it. Then I rinse everything down, let it dry, then put it into service.

Ma_reefer
07/13/2014, 11:43 AM
To be honest I lost a few corals (small frags) after adding my sump I waited over 24 hours I don't know if it was the silicone or because I took sand from my old tank to put in the Refugium but it's been about a week and things seem to be coming back around in a good way I did a few water changes tested which didn't show anything. Calking bottle says 3 hours tack time 12 hour water contact and 24 hr full cure (3/16 bead) I just checked the tube to make sure I was giving you the right information

reef_aholic
07/13/2014, 12:07 PM
Ok thanks alot. By the looks of things, it does seem that they are trying to come around. Maybe more time is needed before it is all back to normal. My pink birdsnest I am sure is done. It looks like it has lost too much flesh to come back. OOOO well.

Ma_reefer
07/13/2014, 12:22 PM
Good luck I hope your corals spring back

apstreck
07/13/2014, 12:27 PM
When I built my sump, I read that silicone takes about 24 hours to set, and 7+ days to fully cure depending on what you use

reef_aholic
07/13/2014, 12:36 PM
When I built my sump, I read that silicone takes about 24 hours to set, and 7+ days to fully cure depending on what you use

Thanks!, I guess I will have to replace what is lost, (hopefully nothing)!

P3t3r
07/15/2014, 08:10 AM
Yeah the silicon will leach chemicals if not fully cured, not dry but CURED and yes depending on different products = different times
The corals that you will lose are mostly Lps and anything that is damaged by ph swings. I know ph swings is not what your dealing with but they will suffer the same.

So keep adding carbon and doing water changes and at this point that's all you can do. Hope everything turns out ok

reef_aholic
07/15/2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the encouraging news. Things havent started looking better, but a tiny peice of my red monti cap, that was torn during a rock slide ;) is growing back! The frog spawn and goniopora, arent making progress, but havent declined either.

blackcell
07/16/2014, 10:41 AM
What is your KH and PH levels ? If its a new sump and your bacterial media are replace, it's almost like you are cycling the tank again.. I suggest moving the affected corals nearer to the better ones, sometimes it's could be water flow or lightings. It happens to mature tanks too.. I really doubt it's the silicone as its chemicals does spread or dissolve into the water. Wish you luck..

GroktheCube
07/16/2014, 11:18 AM
Glad things are making a comeback! Even for acetoxy cure silicone, it's a good idea to give it a week. I've heard tank builders suggest 3 weeks is even better for optimal strength, but for baffles that's a non issue.

reef_aholic
07/17/2014, 02:20 AM
My kh is 9, before all this. It was a stable 8-8.3.

Fallling
07/17/2014, 01:23 PM
I know some silicone will have anti-mold chemicals added to it. I remember reading another thread not too long ago where someone was having issues with their coral. Turned out, they had used the silicone with anti-mold stuff in it. If your corals are starting to look better, probably not the issue, but may be a good idea to double check if you don't know for sure.

reef_aholic
07/17/2014, 03:22 PM
Yes, i used the silicone I, it is pure 100% silicone. If I were to use silicone II, that contains the anti mold-mildew chemicals in it. I am thinking it was an alk swing, and some handled it better then others.