PDA

View Full Version : cooling down tank question

Kona26
07/13/2014, 11:24 AM
the last couple of days it has been getting hot. So I have some plastic jugs I filled with water and put in the freezer..but the glue where the label was will not come off...dose anyone have a trick to get it off..(or will it even hurt the fish..?) just afraid of any chemicals leaching out into the water. thanks for the info

billdogg
07/13/2014, 01:19 PM
Elbow grease. Acetone (nail polish remover) denatured alcohol. mineral spirits.

It will be very difficult to regulate the cooling of the tank that way. Have you tried a fan or two blowing across the top of the tank and/or sump? Evaporative cooling is a very easy way to manage the problem, especially if short term.

Kona26
07/13/2014, 01:25 PM
yeah I have a fan over the tank and one on the sump....it is just the flux of temp that I am trying to keep in check. the last couple of days the temp swing has been about 3 deg. It is going to get near 100 in a few days and want to have a back up plan....I am struggling to keep my house cool..I only have a window a/c. I think I will add another fan. thanks

skippy2
07/13/2014, 01:26 PM
Aim the fan under the tank with the stand doors open. You can also get clip on fans for the side of your tank aiming at the water. baggies full of RO ice cubes in the tank work too. You could also leave the lights off on hot days. Won't hurt the corals at all.

Jpugh73
07/13/2014, 02:10 PM
I don't think a swing of 3 degrees though out the day is all that bad.

When I used mh lighting a few years back I would also use a fan and it worked pretty good to keep the temp in appropriate range

fijisrfr
07/13/2014, 02:22 PM
3 degrees is nothing to worry about but then again, posting the high & low temp would help in determining if you have a real problem.

Kona26
07/13/2014, 03:10 PM
78-81 normally --- 82-83 in the last couple of days....(only mid day) temps lowers at night and in the am

Kona26
07/13/2014, 03:11 PM
The temps really don't concern me ..... it how fast it changes that I am interested about. I have read a lot about temp...but not a lot on the time frame....in the am 78-80 then in the mid day 3-4pm its sits about 80-83 depending on how hot.

fijisrfr
07/13/2014, 03:19 PM
The reason the temp should be a concern is because going from 83 to 86 would be a problem but if your topping out at 83 a three degree change shouldn't be a problem.

firemountain
07/13/2014, 05:04 PM
The reason the temp should be a concern is because going from 83 to 86 would be a problem but if your topping out at 83 a three degree change shouldn't be a problem.

How much of an impact does the temp. have on a tank that is currently cycling? My temps are climbing slowly, and I am at about 80 deg. right now. I am concerned that the tank will finish its cycle right before I go away on vacation for a week. While I won't hurt any livestock....what does that do to the bacteria and algae growth.