PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on water parameters

Tuffloud1
07/13/2014, 03:29 PM
Hello friends -

My tank has been up and running for 4 months

90 gallon reef tank, 120 total water volume

Sps, with some softies and lps. All corals are doing well, specifically the sps.

I do 15 gallon weekly and sometimes bi-weekly water changes.

I've been using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt from the beginning

I make my own RO/DI water with a BRS five stage from the very beginning.

I've been running GFO and Carbon reactors, also have chaeto in the fugue

My current water parameters are:

PH 8.1 night - 8.3 day
Nitrate 2.5 ppm
Phospate 0 ppm
Alkalinity 6.27 dKH, 2.24 meq/L
Magnesium 1140 ppm
Calcium 350 ppm

I realize my calcium, mag and alk are a little low.

What do you experienced reefers recommend? Calcium reactor? Kalkwasser? Dosing?

The dosing thing is new to me so I would appreciate any direction, recommendations?

gone fishin
07/13/2014, 03:37 PM
BRS has a pretty good video on dosing http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/how-to-dose-2-part-video/

Lord Treas
07/13/2014, 05:10 PM
I would start with kalk, it's a safe, cheap, and effective way to dose Ca and increase you bicarbonate levels in equal and commentary ratios

thegrun
07/13/2014, 05:15 PM
I would start with kalk, it's a safe, cheap, and effective way to dose Ca and increase you bicarbonate levels in equal and commentary ratios

+1, it's an easy way to start. You will still want to use calcium and alkalinity additives to raise your levels, then use kalk to maintain those levels. Eventually is you have a lot of hard corals growing kalk alone will not be enough to maintain your calcium and alkalinity levels and you will need to go to either a calcium reactor of dosing two part. Personally I prefer dosing two part over a calcium reactor for tanks under 150 gallons.

Tuffloud1
07/13/2014, 05:32 PM
+1, it's an easy way to start. You will still want to use calcium and alkalinity additives to raise your levels, then use kalk to maintain those levels. Eventually is you have a lot of hard corals growing kalk alone will not be enough to maintain your calcium and alkalinity levels and you will need to go to either a calcium reactor of dosing two part. Personally I prefer dosing two part over a calcium reactor for tanks under 150 gallons.

Thanks for the help guys.

So with all 3 of my params slightly low, will I use Kalk in addition to dosing magnesium? I realize kalk takes care of calcium/alkalinity, but what about magnesium?

acabgd
07/13/2014, 07:43 PM
Actually, Mg is the one element binding the other two. You Mg level is low, but not tragically low. However, I would still start with Mg to create a balance.

imkelz
07/13/2014, 09:50 PM
just wondering what is your salinity at? If its lower then 1.026 I would try slowly boosting it to that level first

Tuffloud1
07/13/2014, 10:29 PM
just wondering what is your salinity at? If its lower then 1.026 I would try slowly boosting it to that level first

I'm at 1.026

Tuffloud1
07/13/2014, 10:47 PM
What is the most precise method of maintaining the 3 parameters? Dosing 2 part plus magnesium or kalk with magnesium?

I have a Tunze ATO already, however I hate the idea of dumping powder in that reservoir and compensating for evaporation rates throughout the year.

Is it just personal preference or is dosing 2 part more so for tanks with a huge demand. Or does it matter?

Also, how long does a purchase of 2 part powders last compared to a similar purchase of kalkwasser last?

gone fishin
07/14/2014, 12:35 AM
I just went ahead with 2 part dosing from the beginning knowing I was going to continue to add SPS corals and have not used kalkwasser. Over time I have increased the amount dosed with the addition of more corals. It is a fairly simple matter to figure how much of what to dose. I have my pumps on a timer to turn on for ever how many minutes I need to achieve the dosing. As far as how long they last it depends on the dosing amount. I would say conservatively you would need to stock up every few months to much longer depending on dosing.

BRS has a good dosing calculator that may give you a good ballpark on how much you may go through.

Tuffloud1
07/14/2014, 01:03 AM
I just went ahead with 2 part dosing from the beginning knowing I was going to continue to add SPS corals and have not used kalkwasser. Over time I have increased the amount dosed with the addition of more corals. It is a fairly simple matter to figure how much of what to dose. I have my pumps on a timer to turn on for ever how many minutes I need to achieve the dosing. As far as how long they last it depends on the dosing amount. I would say conservatively you would need to stock up every few months to much longer depending on dosing.

BRS has a good dosing calculator that may give you a good ballpark on how much you may go through.

Do you dose magnesium or do you just add manually when necessary? From what I understand, automating magnesium isn't really worth it, since it won't require the amount of volume/frequency that calcium and alkalinity require. Do I have this correct?

Also, I already have an Apex. Should I get dosing pumps and connect to Apex program or get a stand alone programmable dosing pump and use the Apex as a PH failsafe. The same failsafe can be put in place when using the plain pumps, so I really don't see the advantage to a programmable doser except only using 1 outlet on the EB8.

Any opinions on which dosing pumps would be appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate the help!

gone fishin
07/14/2014, 01:37 AM
you must be a shift worker like me LOL.

Your correct for the Mag ,I check it maybe once a month or if my calcium is looking a little screwy. Check out bulk reef supply the total dosing package is what I purchased http://cdn.bulkreefsupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/8d6b0a60664e5dd18dd7b1f5e3e04dbc/6/-/6-18-8216.jpg.
The pumps that came with that kit are great. They pump 1.1 ml/min which makes it easy to figure how long to rung the pumps. I do not use an Apex, so sorry I can't be of much use to you there.

Tuffloud1
07/14/2014, 10:47 AM
you must be a shift worker like me LOL.

Your correct for the Mag ,I check it maybe once a month or if my calcium is looking a little screwy. Check out bulk reef supply the total dosing package is what I purchased http://cdn.bulkreefsupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/8d6b0a60664e5dd18dd7b1f5e3e04dbc/6/-/6-18-8216.jpg.
The pumps that came with that kit are great. They pump 1.1 ml/min which makes it easy to figure how long to rung the pumps. I do not use an Apex, so sorry I can't be of much use to you there.

Do you think the Dru's doser is worth the extra 20 bucks per pump?

gone fishin
07/14/2014, 03:01 PM
Do you think the Dru's doser is worth the extra 20 bucks per pump?

I think the only difference is the pumping rate 1.1 Vs. 1.6 ml.min, for me it is not worth the extra money.

Tuffloud1
07/14/2014, 08:49 PM
I think the only difference is the pumping rate 1.1 Vs. 1.6 ml.min, for me it is not worth the extra money.

Thanks for all your help, I went ahead ordered the 1 Gallon - BRS 2 Part Total Package with Dosers

gone fishin
07/14/2014, 11:53 PM
I think you will be pretty happy. good luck

Tuffloud1
07/15/2014, 12:17 AM
I think you will be pretty happy. good luck

More questions! :hmm5:

Do you use the BRS mixing containers that came with the kit to dose directly from or do you have other containers that are sealed at the lid where the tubing enters?

Is there an order in which I want to raise specific levels up to my target?

For instance if all 3 levels need to come up, should I bring up mag first, then calc and alk or does it matter?

gone fishin
07/15/2014, 12:29 AM
More questions! :hmm5:

Do you use the BRS mixing containers that came with the kit to dose directly from or do you have other containers that are sealed at the lid where the tubing enters?

Is there an order in which I want to raise specific levels up to my target?

For instance if all 3 levels need to come up, should I bring up mag first, then calc and alk or does it matter?

I picked up a couple 1 gallon buckets to mix things up in then pour into the jugs from the kit. I drilled a hole in the top of the cap and poked the rigid tubing from the kit into it and attached to the inlet side of the pump. Also picked a set of plastic measuring cups for mixing from Wal-Mart.

Start with Mag it is the one that binds the others . I then tested for Calc and alk and used the calculator from BRS to figure how to add to my desired levels. I tested a week later subtracted that number from my starting number and that was how much I used that week,divided by seven to get per day, divided by 1.1 ml/min to get how long to set the dosing pump to run. FWIW I dose into my sumps return section.

Tuffloud1
07/15/2014, 03:36 PM
I picked up a couple 1 gallon buckets to mix things up in then pour into the jugs from the kit. I drilled a hole in the top of the cap and poked the rigid tubing from the kit into it and attached to the inlet side of the pump. Also picked a set of plastic measuring cups for mixing from Wal-Mart.

Start with Mag it is the one that binds the others . I then tested for Calc and alk and used the calculator from BRS to figure how to add to my desired levels. I tested a week later subtracted that number from my starting number and that was how much I used that week,divided by seven to get per day, divided by 1.1 ml/min to get how long to set the dosing pump to run. FWIW I dose into my sumps return section.

This is probably a dumb question, but does calcium or gfo take out or diminish calcium, magnesium or the alkalinity solution that would be dosed?

I have my gfo and carbon reactors running off my return line, so I was just concerned that dosing directly into the return section, the potent solutions would be sucked into the reactors and might diminish the potency.

Feel free to laugh at me. :)

gone fishin
07/15/2014, 03:40 PM
To be honest I never really thought about it. You may try posting the question over in the chemistry forum. A lot of the guys over there are actual chemists. I would be curious as well.

Tuffloud1
07/15/2014, 09:14 PM
The last parameters I listed when I started this thread were tested 1 day after a 12% water change (Sunday).

Alkalinity 6.27 dKH, 2.24 meq/L
Magnesium 1140 ppm
Calcium 350 ppm

I tested again today and strangely, my calcium and magnesium went up. I tested 3 times on each parameter to make sure.

Here are the results:

Alkalinity 6.16 dKH, 2.2 meq/L
Magnesium 1420 ppm
Calcium 430 ppm

It seems that my alkalinity is the only one that remains under. Why would my calcium and magnesium increase without dosing? I am certain that I am accurate in my testing.

With that said, what should my next plan of action be to get the alkalinity up?

Can I dose only for alkalinity?

gone fishin
07/15/2014, 09:45 PM
You can slowly dose for alk to get to your desired setpoint. As for your test results I got nothing for you other than chemistry magic.

Tuffloud1
07/15/2014, 10:03 PM
You can slowly dose for alk to get to your desired setpoint. As for your test results I got nothing for you other than chemistry magic.

You mean my tank is magical! Sweet!

I am thinking for the alkalinity, maybe my constant use of GFO is causing the decline.

gone fishin
07/15/2014, 10:21 PM
Could be possible. I do not run GFO or Carbon a constant basis. Have you noticed any precipitation?

Tuffloud1
07/15/2014, 10:38 PM
Could be possible. I do not run GFO or Carbon a constant basis. Have you noticed any precipitation?

I notice a little. My water tends to be slightly cloudy when I first complete a water change, that is even when allowing the newly added saltwater to mix overnight. There isnt powder or anything on the bottom of anything, just a little cloudy, then clears up after a few hours.

acabgd
07/16/2014, 05:50 AM
You Alk is low but be careful when dosing, go slowly.

Tuffloud1
07/20/2014, 12:31 PM
Okay, so I received the BRS 2 part system.

I am a little confused and I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers.

My alkalinity is at 6.1 dKH, the only parameter that is off.

When I type in my water volume - 105 gallons, current alk - 6.1, desired level - 9, this is what it gives me: 217.5 ml
7.3 fl oz
43.5 tsp

Okay so how do I apply this to my tank? They instruct not to dose until I am at my desired level. So how do I go about raising my level to 9?

On their instructions, they are telling me to mix 2 cups of Soda Ash into 4/5 full gallon container. How does this apply to what I am trying to achieve.

Sorry, I am very confused, please help!

pete33
07/20/2014, 01:06 PM
Use the calculator to raise it by 1 dkh per 24 hours. I would split it up to 2 doses. Day 1 from 6 to 7, etc. When at 9, wait 5 days and test. The difference is what your tank used in that week. Now you have a starting number. Get it back up to 9 and run your doser to keep it at that level.