PDA

View Full Version : stupid worms

smoothie7
07/14/2014, 03:19 PM
I purchased a couple of new frags on Friday night from a dealer. Brought them home and did a 8 minute Coral RX dip and put them in my tank. Sunday afternoon, I noticed there are a couple of stupid worms that are maybe 1mm wide by 3 mm long. Maybe called flatworms?? There is nothing in the tank right now besides corals. Had an episode with velvet that I lost to a couple weeks ago. Any idea on how to get them out of the tank? I wasn't planning on putting fish in the tank for a couple more weeks just to let whatever parasite that was in there to die off.

jr999
07/14/2014, 05:43 PM
You could start a siphon and suck them out. If you have a sump, put the end of the hose into a filter sock or mesh bag after starting the siphon and the little buggers will be collected in the sock or bag for disposal. This way your water stays in your system.

No sump. Use airline tubing into a sock or mesh bag into a known tank safe container so you can dump the water back into your system.

If it's water change time, wave goodbye to them as they go down the drain.

smoothie7
07/18/2014, 12:08 PM
I have a sump but my tank is I believe 19" tall. Its not a frag tank so using small hosing is to suck out individually is impossible as I cannot see them. Is there something I should be treating the tank with. Currently is only has corals and a few snails. No fish at the moment. Or is it something I just shouldn't worry about?

smoothie7
07/18/2014, 06:37 PM
I just want to describe the little worms to make sure they are flatworms and not something else. They appear to be white/clear in color. They are about 5mm in length at most and about 1mm in width. They are only on the rock and none on the glass and there are not many of them. I just want to take care of them before there is a problem on my hands. If those are flatworms, would flatworm exit be the best stuff to use?