PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding next tank...

HumbleFish
07/14/2014, 06:22 PM
After recently losing my Moorish Idol to a homicidal Blue Angel (trying to get him out), I want to design my next tank around another MI. I also really like butterflyfish, and I figure those should make excellent tank mates for the Idol. I also figure little fish such as chromis, blennies, gobies, mandarins, basslets, cardinals, firefish would pose no threat. But nothing too aggressive - no tangs, wrasses, anthias, large angels in this tank. The "grey area" seems to be whether or not I could add one or two dwarf angels to this tank, and also a Singapore Angel (a favorite fish of mine). Thoughts on this?

From what I've been seeing, a 120 or 125 gal is the smallest tank I should consider for this. Thoughts?

As far as corals go, I would only attempt softies such as xenia, anthelia, GSP, mushrooms or blue cloves for this tank. If they get eaten, so be it. ;)

Any thoughts/suggestions/critiques would be greatly appreciated, before I move forward with this tank.

AuburnTiger1
07/14/2014, 07:23 PM
Butterfly's seem to do great with MI from what I've read. A 125 would probably be the smallest I would attempt which is why I am planning a 240 butterfly or reef tank still deciding. Gobies blennies mandarins etc. would be great additions as we'll since they are pretty peaceful and not overly aggressive. As for the dwarf angels from what I have understood flames do the best around them and I have kept a coral beauty with an Auriga with no problems so I would think you could do it.

HumbleFish
07/15/2014, 07:10 AM
Flame Angel would be nice. Something bright & red/orange, mixed in with all that yellow. My last MI was housed with 5 dwarf angels, and I didn't see any aggression towards him. I just don't want to take any chances this time around, ya know? I'm also thinking blue cloves on the rocks would help accent all the yellow from the MI & butterflys.

Dmorty217
07/15/2014, 09:34 AM
I think your fish list built around the MI looks good. As to the dwarf angels or not if you added the MI first and a few months later added a dwarf or two I think you would be ok. I'm assuming your angel that killed the MI went rogue on you? Don't think I saw that thread if you started one about it.

HumbleFish
07/15/2014, 10:47 AM
I think your fish list built around the MI looks good. As to the dwarf angels or not if you added the MI first and a few months later added a dwarf or two I think you would be ok. I'm assuming your angel that killed the MI went rogue on you? Don't think I saw that thread if you started one about it.

The Blue Angel started chasing/intimidating the MI about 6 months ago. I ignored the early warning signs. :( The aggression seemed to get my PBT all fired up, and she started chasing both the Blue Angel & MI. The MI started hiding in a corner, refusing to eat... but the next day he would be fine. I should have taken swift action to pull the Blue Angel at this point, but it is my wife's favorite fish (and I had no where else to really put him except a 29 gal HT).

It's only been in the last week or two that the BA has really gone berserk. He took out the MI by biting a huge chunk out of him, and is now at war with my foxface. I'm thinking it might be a hormonal thing, as he almost has his adult coloration but not 100%.

I feel terrible about this; really beating myself up over it as I've kept plenty of large angels in the past, and I know good & well how they can really dominate a tank. The only thing I can do is make sure to protect my next MI by building a tank around him.

The thread about the BA is here FYI: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2425263

HumbleFish
07/15/2014, 07:28 PM
Was thinking a large fuge down in the sump would be a good idea to breed pods for finicky eaters, such as CBB.

Also, what options for CUC? I'm pretty sure the butterflyfish would take out most snails, and I really hate hermits.

Noah 123
07/16/2014, 11:29 AM
The Blue Angel started chasing/intimidating the MI about 6 months ago. I ignored the early warning signs. :( The aggression seemed to get my PBT all fired up, and she started chasing both the Blue Angel & MI. The MI started hiding in a corner, refusing to eat... but the next day he would be fine. I should have taken swift action to pull the Blue Angel at this point, but it is my wife's favorite fish (and I had no where else to really put him except a 29 gal HT).

It's only been in the last week or two that the BA has really gone berserk. He took out the MI by biting a huge chunk out of him, and is now at war with my foxface. I'm thinking it might be a hormonal thing, as he almost has his adult coloration but not 100%.

I feel terrible about this; really beating myself up over it as I've kept plenty of large angels in the past, and I know good & well how they can really dominate a tank. The only thing I can do is make sure to protect my next MI by building a tank around him.

The thread about the BA is here FYI: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2425263

I saw your other thread already... :(
That's really sad because moorish idols are expensive, hard to care for, and an amazing fish...