PDA

View Full Version : vitamin supplements

Nina51
07/14/2014, 06:29 PM
it really never occurred to me that my fish would need supplements. i know i do, my dogs do, i even give gummy bear vitamins to my pot bellied pigs. but my fish? hmmmm.....

my new kole tang developed lympho while in qt. i was afraid it was ich but steve (snorvich) and a few other rc'ers thought it was probably lympho. steve told me to start soaking his food in selcon and vita-chem so that's what i did. the lympho cleared up amazingly quickly and the tang is happily roaming around my 75g dt.

we all look at our tanks before we even think about that first cup of coffee, right? so, i look into my tank yesterday morning and i see my tang has a slit in his tail fin. i don't know who the culprit was or if it happened when he was zipping through the rocks. this morning, i could barely see it and today when i got home from work, it was completely 100% healed.

if you don't use these supplements, you should be!! now i use one or the other every day and i add a dose of vita-chem to my tank weekly. i am a believer!! :bounce1:

ca1ore
07/14/2014, 08:16 PM
steve told me to start soaking his food in selcon and vita-chem so that's what i did.

What, he can't do it for himself?

Nina51
07/14/2014, 09:05 PM
i promised him i wouldn't tell so i'mma gonna have to take the fifth here. ;)

Dmorty217
07/15/2014, 07:53 AM
I'm a strong believer in vitamins or "enrichment". Vitachem, are the two main ones I use but I also use a few others

ca1ore
07/15/2014, 08:07 AM
I slavishly add vitamins to my food (fish food, that is) but would love to see any research validating use. Part of me wonders whether it is similar to the practice, now largely debunked, of adding trace elements to the tank because 'they MUST get depleted'. Trouble with using vitamins and seeing recovery from some ailment is that the fish may well have recovered equally well without. Not saying one shouldn't use them, just wondering out loud. Plus, not supposed to add anything to the tank that isn't tested for :lol: