PDA

View Full Version : "Purple Shag" Gorg ID

Fallling
07/15/2014, 02:30 PM
Does anybody know the specific ID for the "purple shag gorgonian" sold by Vivid Aquariums? I've emailed them but never did get a response.

I've had one for about 3 - 4 months that gets fed a cocktail of frozen cylop-eeze, phytoplankton, and marin fauna dry products 1x - 2x a day. So far so good... he has very good polyp extension, is open most of the time, and has shown growth. I've done a ton of researching on various forums and the internet in general, but I just haven't been able to determine exactly what species it is.

Maybe someone here has an idea?

http://www.vividaquariums.com/p-10012-purple-shag-gorgonian.aspx

Thanks.

Nemato
07/15/2014, 02:52 PM
Would say a purple Menella.

Fallling
07/15/2014, 03:15 PM
That's what I was thinking... just wasn't real sure. Thanks.

lostintheocean
07/21/2014, 12:59 PM
from the link provided....The Purple Shag Gorgonian Fan grows in beautiful fan-like formations. Its branches are rusty colored and covered with beautiful yellow polyps. This is one of the easiest gorgonians to keep......

does it look like the picture or the description? the picture looks pretty awesome

Fallling
07/21/2014, 03:41 PM
It looks just like the picture. However, a yellow polyp one is also available on their site. Menellas do come in both yellow and purple variations. The idea of it being "one of the easiest gorgonians to keep" is kind of absurd seeing as to how it's nps. I bought it locally in their store thinking it was one the many photosynthetic purple gorgs that are available.

After some research, I quickly figured out that it was nps and feed it at least 1x a day (sometimes 2x or 3x if I'm futzing around the house) with a cocktail of stuff. I was thinking it was Menella but then saw Menella on Live Aquaria DD that looked quite different, so I started to doubt myself (that's why I decided to post here :)). I recently found a thread on another forum (think it's UK based forum) about Menallas... lots of great information and pictures. I'm pretty confident in the ID now. Don't know how I missed it in the hours of research I've done on nps gorgs

It's grown at least an inch since I got it about 3 months. Definitely is one of my favorites.