PDA

View Full Version : 50g cube stocked from Tampa Bay Saltwater

flipstyle72
07/16/2014, 01:11 PM
my update thus far...

I know there is much debate on how quickly a tank can cycle, but using TBS lr and sand, I can say 7-10 days cycle is possible. Although I'm not planning on stocking any fish for at least two more months due to travel and my want for letting the tank mature and work out any kinks, I would feel the tank could sufficiently sustain a fish very happily!

I have to say, Richard knows his products and timing down near perfect. I must have emailed him a dozen times asking questions about the ammonia and each time he would tell me what to expect on which day. from ammonia spike to the decline to when he will ship part 2 of the package.

So this past Sunday he sent me part 2. My remaining LR and CUC...as well as a host of extra goodies he offers as lagniappe. (that means extra freebies for the rest of you)

I was a little concerned about the tank not being ready to house some of it, but Richard reassured me and that he's shipped and seen much success. Specifically 3 anemone concerned me, as i've read a tank should be established for at least a year before introducing.

I drip acclimated everything over 6 hours to be safe, I introduced everything and all seemed fine. The anemone were last, but they took hold quickly and I let them be. After two days they seems a little "unhappy" and deflated, but slowly 1 by one they began to come around. 1 decided to move from his initial spot and find a comfortable spot hanging off a ledge.

Two of them appear to be rock flower and the biggest, i'm not sure. I need to get an up close picture tonight.

Anyways, going on 3 weeks now. 1.5 at which steady 0 ammonia. Actually, i fed one of the anemone a shrimp which he regurgitated, I left the bit of food in the tank, saw a spike of ammonia to .25 that night then the next morning it was back down. Fed all 3 a piece of silverslide and all ate with no complaints.

Oh...my nitrates had gone up after my cycle was complete, i did a 20% water change and hadn't retested yet.

I have some cheato on the way and will be building a diy egg crate box to put it in in my sump. About fresh rodi water in my ato reservoir, Approx. 30g of saltwater on standby... just waiting and watching now. I'll be leaving for europe on the 23rd and returning on the 3rd of Aug. Hopefully the house sitter won't have to perform any major tank duties, but i'll prepare them for the worse.

I just need to figure out what kind of fish will be my first to qt when i get back!!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284537&stc=1&d=1405537295

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284538&stc=1&d=1405537295

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284539&stc=1&d=1405537295

after much reading, i think the main reason for such success so far is TBS's super fresh products. The day before I received my orders, Richard said he was diving to retrieve it from the Gulf...from an established marine ecosystem. From the sea to your living room in less than 24 hours... I have noticed two bad hitchhikers though, 1 mantis shrimp which i'm in the process of catching. (you can see my trap in photos) and a few spots of aiptasia i've noticed. Ordered some aiptasia-x. Any good of a product? or did i waste my money?

liverock
07/16/2014, 01:26 PM
my update thus far...

I know there is much debate on how quickly a tank can cycle, but using TBS lr and sand, I can say 7-10 days cycle is possible. Although I'm not planning on stocking any fish for at least two more months due to travel and my want for letting the tank mature and work out any kinks, I would feel the tank could sufficiently sustain a fish very happily!

I have to say, Richard knows his products and timing down near perfect. I must have emailed him a dozen times asking questions about the ammonia and each time he would tell me what to expect on which day. from ammonia spike to the decline to when he will ship part 2 of the package.

So this past Sunday he sent me part 2. My remaining LR and CUC...as well as a host of extra goodies he offers as lagniappe. (that means extra freebies for the rest of you)

I was a little concerned about the tank not being ready to house some of it, but Richard reassured me and that he's shipped and seen much success. Specifically 3 anemone concerned me, as i've read a tank should be established for at least a year before introducing.

I drip acclimated everything over 6 hours to be safe, I introduced everything and all seemed fine. The anemone were last, but they took hold quickly and I let them be. After two days they seems a little "unhappy" and deflated, but slowly 1 by one they began to come around. 1 decided to move from his initial spot and find a comfortable spot hanging off a ledge.

Two of them appear to be rock flower and the biggest, i'm not sure. I need to get an up close picture tonight.

Anyways, going on 3 weeks now. 1.5 at which steady 0 ammonia. Actually, i fed one of the anemone a shrimp which he regurgitated, I left the bit of food in the tank, saw a spike of ammonia to .25 that night then the next morning it was back down. Fed all 3 a piece of silverslide and all ate with no complaints.

Oh...my nitrates had gone up after my cycle was complete, i did a 20% water change and hadn't retested yet.

I have some cheato on the way and will be building a diy egg crate box to put it in in my sump. About fresh rodi water in my ato reservoir, Approx. 30g of saltwater on standby... just waiting and watching now. I'll be leaving for europe on the 23rd and returning on the 3rd of Aug. Hopefully the house sitter won't have to perform any major tank duties, but i'll prepare them for the worse.

I just need to figure out what kind of fish will be my first to qt when i get back!!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284537&stc=1&d=1405537295

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284538&stc=1&d=1405537295

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284539&stc=1&d=1405537295

after much reading, i think the main reason for such success so far is TBS's super fresh products. The day before I received my orders, Richard said he was diving to retrieve it from the Gulf...from an established marine ecosystem. From the sea to your living room in less than 24 hours... I have noticed two bad hitchhikers though, 1 mantis shrimp which i'm in the process of catching. (you can see my trap in photos) and a few spots of aiptasia i've noticed. Ordered some aiptasia-x. Any good of a product? or did i waste my money?

Looking good there!

Great job on the aquascaping...

and now worries about the 'aptasia'...they are not the invasive type of 'aptasia', but rather a gulf look alike anemone that is harmless, and will not reproduce. Same with the bulb anemone you have, folks mistake it for a Majano, but neither of those anemones are in the Gulf, they are indo pacific species....so....you are good to go....

Keep the aptasiax...as you may get them on your corals when you start adding them, as most folks get them that way...

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :bounce1::bounce1::bounce1:

flipstyle72
07/16/2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks Richard! Good to know! I have about 20lbs of rock I can't fit, what's the best way I can store it for later use or for trade with someone? Buckets of saltwater and circulate?

liverock
07/16/2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks Richard! Good to know! I have about 20lbs of rock I can't fit, what's the best way I can store it for later use or for trade with someone? Buckets of saltwater and circulate?

Would be best to re home the rock....as it will not make it unless it is in a cycled tank.....put the word out...and somebody in MSY...will come a running LOL

also...the anemones are flower anemones I collect from the keys...pretty bullet prof creature...

sea ya
Richard TBS www.tbsaltwater.com :spin1::spin1::spin1: