PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Alert

mbauma
07/16/2014, 05:59 PM
So I put a seachem ammonia alert in my QT day one when I set it up 10 days ago. I removed the film and it has not registered anything as far as I can tell.

I checked with my red sea kit and it's about .3. Did I do something wrong with the ammonia alert, or what's the deal? How can I tell if it's working?

mbauma
07/17/2014, 06:21 AM
someone has to know what these look like when they work?

thegrun
07/17/2014, 07:18 AM
Perhaps it was old and isn't working properly or the Red Sea test kit is bad, but I would be inclined to think the ammonia alert card is bad.

thegrun
07/17/2014, 07:19 AM
You can test the ammonia alert by spraying Windex on a paer towel and hold the towel up to the alert badge, it should change color.

mbauma
07/17/2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks.

mbauma
07/17/2014, 08:26 AM
You can test the ammonia alert by spraying Windex on a paer towel and hold the towel up to the alert badge, it should change color.

So, I just wipe of the sensor and put the wet towel against it?

oakengineer
07/17/2014, 08:32 AM
You just want to hold it next/under the badge, not wipe it.

I've got a similar situation going on with my API kit and my ammonia alert badge. The alert badge says 0.05 ppm, and API says .25 ppm.

thegrun
07/17/2014, 11:44 AM
You just want to hold it next/under the badge, not wipe it.

I've got a similar situation going on with my API kit and my ammonia alert badge. The alert badge says 0.05 ppm, and API says .25 ppm.

+1, I don't think it would harm anything is you did make direct contact, but it would take a long tie for the ammonia to disapate and show zero again.

mbauma
07/17/2014, 01:18 PM
Ammonia is no longer in window products, at least what I have :)

I just changed 5 gallons of water and I'm showing around .8 ppm ammonia in my QT. I just have 3 lyretails in there and they seem fine. I have been feeding 1/2 cube mysis per day. Is that too much. They seem healthy and look good.

It was around .4 ppm yesterday, what the heck?

Should I add some prime?

liverock
07/17/2014, 01:30 PM
Ammonia is no longer in window products, at least what I have :)

I just changed 5 gallons of water and I'm showing around .8 ppm ammonia in my QT. I just have 3 lyretails in there and they seem fine. I have been feeding 1/2 cube mysis per day. Is that too much. They seem healthy and look good.

It was around .4 ppm yesterday, what the heck?

Should I add some prime?

no prime...go get some new basic test kits......el-cheepo ones....and see what results you get......

mbauma
07/17/2014, 01:54 PM
I just tested the DT with the same kit and ammonia is zero, so I think the red sea kit is fine.

mbauma
07/18/2014, 03:27 PM
I bought an API kit and it was showing the same, so I added some prime and it's now about .2.

What else can I do to lower ammonia? Another water change? Just curious on why it would be high in the first place?