PDA

View Full Version : ATO using apex.

apstreck
07/16/2014, 09:31 PM
I'm new to reefing, and my basic tank requirements are met as far as lighting, skimming, filtration, water movement, etc. So I was looking now at ATO units since I'm already sick of topping off twice a day. I'm also looking at an Apex unit, and was thinking about how to turn the unit into an ATO.

Here's my idea: Instead of measuring water level, add on a conductivity/salinity probe. Whenever the salinity raises above X, a small pump kicks on in a reservoir of RODI water. Kicks back off when salinity is correct. This may not be a new idea, but will it work? Anyone do it this way?

apstreck
07/16/2014, 09:37 PM
I'm already seeing the flaw here... Salinity won't be instantly balanced within the water column with the addition of the FW. So how do you Apex users manage top offs?

wheelman76
07/17/2014, 01:30 AM
You buy a breakout box for the apex for $40 or make your own for less than half of that , and then you just need to buy a float switch, and a small pump like an aqua lifter. When the water level drops the float switch activates the aqua lifter and pulls water from a reservoir until the float switch comes back up and closes the switch.

Indymann99
07/17/2014, 07:42 PM
+1 on above

ca1ore
07/17/2014, 08:51 PM
I have the salinity probe on my tank and it is completely ill suited to trigger an ATO. It is quite useful, and I do have my ATO setup to turn off in event there is a dramatic decline in salinity, but it reacts quite slowly to salinity changes and can drift a bit. Far better to use a pair of redundant float switches.

slief
07/17/2014, 10:19 PM
I have the salinity probe on my tank and it is completely ill suited to trigger an ATO. It is quite useful, and I do have my ATO setup to turn off in event there is a dramatic decline in salinity, but it reacts quite slowly to salinity changes and can drift a bit. Far better to use a pair of redundant float switches.

+1

You don't want to use the conductivity probe to control an ATO. Use it as a failsafe but don't over think the ATO.. The Apex works great for ATO but keep it simple using a proven method. Breakout box and float switches work wonderfully. If you want redundancy, use multiple float switches and your Condx probe for a failsafe. Been doing it this way for years now and it works like charm and it keeps the sump level absolutely perfect and stable all the time!

slief
07/17/2014, 10:24 PM
Oops. Duplicate.