PDA

View Full Version : DIY Jebao Battery Backup - Which Way is Best?

CuzzA
07/17/2014, 10:27 AM
As the title says. Which way is best for a Jebao battery backup? Of course, I guess using a relay would limit me to only 24v DC appliances.

devildog12210
07/17/2014, 01:12 PM
I'm confused but how are you going to get 24v from a 12v battery?

If you decide to do either do not charge the batteries indoors. I too use multiple batteries to power my tank during an outage but never charge them inside to to the gases that they put off while being charged.

I don't have mine on a transfer switch. I just set it up on an as needed basis.

CuzzA
07/17/2014, 10:40 PM
I'm confused but how are you going to get 24v from a 12v battery?

If you decide to do either do not charge the batteries indoors. I too use multiple batteries to power my tank during an outage but never charge them inside to to the gases that they put off while being charged.

I don't have mine on a transfer switch. I just set it up on an as needed basis.

The inverter converts 12vdc to ac and then the Jebao power supply converts ac to 24vdc. Basically the inverter is the key.

Yes, absolutely putting the battery outdoors, enclosed in a battery box, wired through the exterior block wall.

I guess my question really was what's better, the relay or transfer switch, but after some thought I went the transfer switch route for the added benefit of powering different equipment if necessary.

I thought about leaving it not hooked up, but living in Florida with weekly thunderstorms and lots of power outages, I want the power to be there if I'm not. Hell just this week I lost power briefly and a few homes burnt down in the Tampa Bay area from lightning. I have a generator too (hurricane preps), but the thought of leaving for work, a typical thunderstorm knocking out power early and coming home to a graveyard would be devastating.

I already had an extra marine battery from being a boat owner, a Wagan 400 watt pure sine wave inverter and Battery Tender Jr. So the only addition I picked up today was a Kisae 15 amp Transfer Switch for $50 (typically used for boats to switch from shore power to battery or generator and back). I wired everything up and it worked like a charm, automatically switching from utility to battery power and back. (Note: My illustration was wrong. The transfer switch plugs into the inverter and the powerhead plugs into the transfer switch.)

I can post pictures on request.