PDA

View Full Version : Getting glass cut Cypress, TX?

Gorgok
07/17/2014, 04:27 PM
I am looking for 3/8" thick glass for my project but it seems the local shops either charge silly amounts ($55 per piece... yeah right) or can't do it, or just never respond. Anyone in the area have had glass cut and know of a place? I am almost to the point where i'd go pick up a 50 tall tank from petsmart and cut it to pieces myself, it would only cost $100 and im sure i could get all my pieces from it even after having to learn how to do it.

The pieces don't seem too unusual to me, but a couple are long and skinny so maybe that is why they are not replying...

Heres the list:
4-1/2" x 42"
2" x 4-1/2" (2 pieces)
2" x 41-1/8"
7" x 32"
7" x 7" (2 pieces)
7" x 31-1/8"

uncleof6
07/17/2014, 06:50 PM
Well to be honest, let your fingers do the walking through the Yellow Pages. Glass shops may not be the answer, but Glass Fabrication Shops (folks that actually make something out of glass) are a better bet.

It costs what it costs, and without the proper equipment, you won't be cutting glass in your home that is over 6mm thick (1/4" nominal.) The fab shops bought the equipment, carry the insurance, pay the rent on the facility, etc, and guess what? We have to pay for it. Just the way it is. :)

If you decide to chop up a manufactured tank, make sure none of the panels are tempered or you will have glass shards everywhere and no tank at all.