PDA

View Full Version : Cycling question

hertz4319
07/18/2014, 07:00 AM
Hi All,

My DT is 215g. To start the cycle we put in 10 tbls of ammonia. It took 6 days to get to 0 on the tests. We then put in three tbls of ammonia and it took 3 days to go to zero. We kept the ammonia at three and eventually it was all gone in 24 hours. The last test we did we put in 9 tbls of ammonia and it was gone in 24 hrs.

During the time of the ammonia testing we did nitrite testing and when the ammonia was showing up so were the nitrites. With the last test the ammonia was never present but the nitrite was off the scale for 48 hours and then was 20. I think today will be 0. When the nitrite is 0 nitrate is between 10 and 20.

My question is how do I get the nitrite to go to 0 in 24 hours. More ammonia? Ghost feeding? Or?

As always thank you for all your help. Stewart

thegrun
07/18/2014, 07:07 AM
Quit adding ammonia. Your cycle was complete once the nitrite droped to zero the first time, you don't need to keep adding ammonia, the cycle is done. All you are doing is producing more nitrates (the end peoduct of the cycle).

hertz4319
07/18/2014, 07:23 AM
So it does not matter that it takes more then 24 hours to go to 0 nitrites? Thanks Stewart

thegrun
07/18/2014, 07:27 AM
No, the fact that your nitrites drop over time shows you have the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrates. Cycle complete.

Redtack
07/18/2014, 10:36 AM
Thegrun,

You say to quit adding ammonia. How long can you maintain the bacteria without ammonia or fish?

Actual question, please don't take as doubting you.

Redtack

chiefifd
07/23/2014, 06:03 PM
Hi Redtack.:

Thats the same question I have, (How long can you maintain the bacteria without ammonia or fish)? Thought I'd reply and get your question back to the top again.

I want to keep my cycle going in my DT while I quarantine my first fish.

Ed

jrozzi
07/23/2014, 06:13 PM
I don't know how long ammonia survives with out food I've read that it take a long time to starve it out and kill it and I've also seen ppl say it dies real fast however this really doesn't matter if you want to insure your bacteria has something to eat just add a pinch of food every once in awhile that will give them something to eat. That being said I believe your bacteria colony adjusts accordingly to what you have in your tank so if your adding a small amount of food a day that is going to reduce the bacteria colony so when it comes time to adding all your fish I would add your live stock slowly over a week or two giving your bacteria time to adjust to the raised waste levels.

diegoluv
07/23/2014, 06:41 PM
I your tank has cycled 4 times now. I would do at least a 25% water change and test parameters. If they are good, start adding livestock.

chiefifd
07/23/2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys, everyone around here has been so helpful.
Ed

jrozzi
07/23/2014, 07:14 PM
Just wait till you do something wrong or isn't the norm. Most ppl will crucify you on here.

JoelA7
07/23/2014, 11:33 PM
Once tank has cycled maintain bacteria and initial CUC by ghost feeding a little every day.

chiefifd
07/24/2014, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the warning.