PDA

View Full Version : Burned Tip Pictures?

overexposed
07/18/2014, 09:38 AM
Does anyone have good pictures that demonstrate what burned tips look like? I started dosing vinegar a three weeks ago and I think I am seeing some burned tips on 2 of my pieces (ORA pearlberry and monti verrucosa). Basically looks like a touch of STN but just at the tips of a couple corralites.

Most of the photos I've found via searching are too blurry for me to really understand what I'm supposed to be seeing.

Felixc395
07/18/2014, 04:08 PM
Would also like to see. I'm having a very slight STN problem in two corals that's just at the tip.

triggreef
07/18/2014, 08:27 PM
Alk spike can cause that. Also with dosing I believe you generally want to keep alk under 9dkh. Every time mine approaches 9 my acros get po'd... slime at the tips, which would be followed by stn at the tips (Burnt tips) your describing.

tripdad
07/19/2014, 11:37 AM
One other thing to watch out for is that when starting carbon dosing it can really "clear" up your water, meaning more light gets thru. just a thought as sometimes you can light burn a tip or two when starting out.

BrentH
07/19/2014, 07:10 PM
alk needs to be around 8 if your going for ulns......if theres some nutrients then higher alk wont burn tips ...ive learned keep alk from bounceing around ..and for me to much gfo alk swing have caused this as well