PDA

View Full Version : Blue Star polyps

Osama
07/20/2014, 06:37 AM
Blue star Polyps are getting blown all over my tank. Wife loves them. We both are OK with them on a contained rock. My question: How best to get rid of zillion of them spreading like a wild fire in a 500g tank?? Can anything be bought that will eat them and not damage anything else like tube worms , inverts or corals etc? Appreciate your input and thanks

Sugar Magnolia
07/20/2014, 06:49 AM
I think you mean blue clove polyps. Unfortunately they spawn quite well in our tanks which spreads them everywhere. They have the potential to cover just about every rock surface if left unchecked. There's a thread in the Reef Discussion forum on how to eradicate them.

Osama
07/20/2014, 07:58 AM
Thanks Adrienne. I searched for " blue clove polyps" and got like a thousand hits on RC. Any way you can post for me the location please? Thanks

tmz
07/20/2014, 09:00 AM
I use a toothbrush to control them to areas where I wan't them. Sometimes I scrape them off .They can be invasive to zoanthid colonies and choke them out but don't seem to bother other corals. They have been in my system for many years. I think they are very pretty but can be a pain to keep

Crooked Reef
07/20/2014, 09:08 AM
Google Japanese blue clove polyps and see if that's them.

Osama
07/20/2014, 09:25 AM
CR: They are " Japanese blue clove polyps" and
Tom: I like them as well and wife loves them but they have spread in seven months beyond belief so need to eradicate a large portion of them without damaging other things. Need to somehow be able to siphon them out while brushing them off. May be I'll will need to scrape them off when doing a water change and siphon as many as I could Not sure if I'll have the energy to do it ...

tmz
07/20/2014, 09:43 AM
The brushing kills them in place and slows them down. At least the blue is pretty; the brown types that come in as hitchikers from time to time are ugly. Not aware of an in tank safe treatment but I'll look around.

Are these the type you have? If so it's sansibia and searching that might help.Similar to anthellia in classification.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/fishandfootball58/reef%202011/IMG_0245.jpg (http://s229.photobucket.com/user/fishandfootball58/media/reef%202011/IMG_0245.jpg.html)

Osama
07/20/2014, 10:01 AM
Yes they are Tom Exactly

Reef Frog
07/20/2014, 10:44 AM
I agree periodic scrubbing keeps them in check but they slowly return. They spread faster in nutrient rich water IME. Coral growth of brains, encrusting montis, chalices etc will displace them over time. Other corals like plating monti caps will shade some rocks and keep them in check. My situation has improved markedly over time.

I can't believe I was stupid enough to buy a rock of them as a newbie in my 1st hear of SW keepimg. The LFS owner didn't warn me. He was astonished when I told them they are a pest species years later. I was jonesimg for something blue at the time...

There is a thread on RC about "fluke tabs" used I think in pond keeping that worked well for several people. I'd be very cautious using such a procedure however.

Osama
07/20/2014, 12:06 PM
I let them in the tank as wife loved them same with green star polyps (not sure of name) looks like grass carpet Growing like crazy but at least they do not fly and land everywhere
Thanks

billdogg
07/20/2014, 12:34 PM
I have blue sansibia throughout my 120DT. If you pull a rock out, you can usually peel them off like a sheet. Glue pieces to frag plugs and trade them back to your LFS for credit. You may only get a couple dollars/plug, but I think, if I set my mind to it, I could make a couple hundred frags.

They really don't seem to bother anything else, and in fact I have a number of stony corals that have grown right past/over them.

Osama
07/20/2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks Bill I have them all over too Hard to get at most of them in a 500g... Will see how it goes. Will try to remove what I can over time Thanks to ALL. Was hoping something can be bought that would eat them and not damage other corals or other inverts

tmz
07/20/2014, 02:24 PM
Well, you can't get fluke tabs anymore. If you could the active ingredient bensimmidazole used as an animal dewormer is harmful to lots of different animals particularly xenia, athellia among others ;so I wouldn't personally use it in a reef tank. It doesn't breakdown well either and will stick around for a long time on surface areas .

I use fenbendazole another type of dewormer in seahorse fry tanks to control hydroids harmful to the fry. Again though, the febendazole kills lots of things and hangs around but it doesn't bother the fry and they are in a separate system. I don't move any rock etc. from that system into the reef system. Never tried it on sansiba but it might work if you are not concerned about the side effects.

As coral cover increases the need to control sansiba lessens. I probably take a brush to it here and there once every couple of months or so. Overall, I like having it but may not have introduced it if I knew then what I know now. . Other corals seem capable of winning territroial battles with sansiba.

Osama
07/20/2014, 02:32 PM
Knowing that it is not harmful I will relax and clean it as I go and as I need to .. Thanks to all for the info Greatly appreciate all the input.

Crooked Reef
07/20/2014, 08:19 PM
My lfs still has actual fluke tabs, but like tmz said they will harm some other corals and may make it impossible to ever keep them in the same system again.

Osama
07/20/2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks crooked reef... I greatly appreciate the info... I am not going to try fluke tabs as I am concerned for the overall stability of my tank 500g doing well otherwise with lots of tube worms snails hermits shrimp etc . die offs will be a major unbalance in my system

ca1ore
07/20/2014, 08:59 PM
FWIW, Pyramid Butteflyfish ate all the Xenia in my tank and then ate all the clove polyps. Not sure if this normal behavior from them, or I just got an odd bunch, but worth a try perhaps.

xdestry
07/20/2014, 09:34 PM
I have an outbreak of blue anthelia I am trying to get rid of too... about to just toss all the rocks with them

tmz
07/20/2014, 11:30 PM
FWIW, Pyramid Butteflyfish ate all the Xenia in my tank and then ate all the clove polyps. Not sure if this normal behavior from them, or I just got an odd bunch, but worth a try perhaps.

Interesting observation. I have 7 tanks running on the same system . All but one have at a least a few sansiba;that one has a pryamid blutterfly fish (Hemitalurichthys polyepsis ) in it. It does nip the nepthea in there a bit but not enough to harm it and leaves the other corals alone .It's been in that tank for 7 years or so and no sansiba evethough I have moved frags from other tanks in there. I'll put a rockfull n there and see.

Osama
07/21/2014, 04:35 AM
Tom & cai thanks Pyramid butterfly is worth a try. Tom pls keep us advised of how it shakes out Many thanks to ALL. I have Xenai that I would need to salvage !!

Osama
10/20/2014, 10:25 AM
Anyone knows if killing BSP using a toothbrush or a metal brush in a 500g tank can pose any serious danger to the water column / tank inhabitants??

davocean
10/20/2014, 10:37 AM
Anyone knows if killing BSP using a toothbrush or a metal brush in a 500g tank can pose any serious danger to the water column / tank inhabitants??

I was going to give a fair warning about this.
I too scrubbed them once, a large area, and yes they do come off fairly easy but I have never seen my euphyllia and other corals react so negatively, frog and hammer completely retracted after a scrubbing, so I'm sure they release toxins when aggravated.
Maybe in a large tank not such a big deal, and I would definitely use carbon.
Fluke tabs do wipe them out if you can find them, yes they are hard to come by, but I think they can still be found.
I think it was prazipro that also has the same basic chems that could treat, but that I'm not positive.

Osama
10/20/2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks davocean.. in my case " ... Tank owning me" just ask the fish, the corals even the rocks make claim on me!! Go Figure.!! I am afraid of fluke tabs in a reef . Will everything else be OK... that is if I find them?/

davocean
10/20/2014, 01:09 PM
I think fluke tabs are perfectly safe from all of my reading, in fact the main thread about them just resurfaced.
That was going to be my solution, that or I actually had found a bottle of prazipro I had stored which I'm pretty certain will do the same.
In my case a recent move and needed downsize made me sell everything and I'm just starting over w/ new rock.
Blue cloves IMO are probably the number one worst thing you can place in your tank.
I was warned they may become invasive, those words have haunted me, as I took it like invasive like zenia or GSP or something that could be pulled or culled back.
At the time I had no idea the polyps float and travel so far and easy.
You have no idea what I went through to remove them, pulled all rock, devised scrubbing tools on drill motors, torched what I could not reach, completely stripped all rock short of doing the acid wash, which was next on my list after THEY HAD COME BACK AFTER ALL MY SCRUBBING AND TORCHING!!
Ugh, talk about feeling owned...:rolleyes:

davocean
10/20/2014, 01:11 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2153276

davocean
10/20/2014, 01:20 PM
Oh and a sidenote I feel I need to state that while I admit hitting some rock w/ a torch, I don't advise or recommend anyone doing this, it can be harmful to breathe steam or fumes.
I had a respirator on, set up w/ wind blowing away, glasses on, and I'm aware that did not eliminate all risk, especially after reading more on others that have suffered seriously by breathing vapors.
It's not worth it and I'd never do it agian.

Osama
10/20/2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks davacon: Found this on internet Fluke Tabs for Pond usage. are they what U are talking about. They seem plentiful?? www.gotkoi.com/koi_medication/fluke.html

davocean
10/20/2014, 05:49 PM
Yes, but w/out looking I'm pretty sure that is a link that will say not in stock at this time or something like that.
Not easy to find
Good luck eh...