PDA

View Full Version : Live rock hitchhikers safe for seahorses?

Stacye
07/21/2014, 09:34 AM
I am in the process of starting a seahorse tank. I came across some live rock that had been in an active tank (in the sump, not display) for about four years and it was reasonably priced so I bought it. I put it in the tank I plan on using for seahorses and it has several zoanthids and some red worms that resemble millipedes. It has a few strands of chaeto left on it. There are a few little tiny "bugs" that resemble roly-polies. I have not put any sand in yet, the rock was just hopefully a lucky find. I would like to know if this will be safe for the seahorses? I have scoured and searched and have not found the answer to this particular question so I hoped for some advice here. Thank you in advance.

rayjay
07/21/2014, 04:50 PM
Most zoas are OK, and all pod life should be good for them. Occasionally there have been problems with the bristle worms getting snicked up and causing problems from their sting.
I prefer to sterilize everything that goes into my seahorse tanks, but most others do not

Stacye
07/22/2014, 07:52 AM
My husband suggested seahorses for this tank simply because it is a nice tall 30 gallon tank. I have bought into the idea and have been doing the research but there are SO many conflicting opinions out there, not to mention conflicting results on actual scientific studies because the variables are not all the same. I am a "measure twice cut once" kind of person and try to be meticulous but the whole seahorse thing just seems like I will be flying by the seat of my pants in some aspects. But so was starting my first saltwater tank. I am excited about the adventure and I hope it works out. Thank you for your input. I love to absorb what others who keep seahorses and have more experience have to say.

rayjay
07/22/2014, 07:59 AM
Well a 30g tank is suitable for a pair of standard sized seahorses but best if you have extreme filtration and extreme protein skimming.
You can read a lot about seahorse keeping by experienced keepers by checking out the links at the bottom of "My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)".

Stacye
07/22/2014, 07:26 PM
I have read just about everything on there more than once. I am sure I have missed something but it is an awesome resource. I was planning on one pair of standard size.

kudagirl
07/23/2014, 12:52 PM
For someone just starting out in keeping seahorses I think you may be better off with erectus,this is what I started out with,they are one of the hardest for beginners.

lutz123
07/23/2014, 02:54 PM
Don't worry about being too sterile. Clean is good, but mine appreciated hunting in a wad of chaeto or toadstool algae I would throw in (neither took over), and loved hunting in the live rock. Unless you are overloaded with hydroids or aiptasia, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 34 gallon Solana and primarily use water changes. The clean up crew keeps things from getting ugly, and the gorgonians appreciate less "clean". I don't have any algae problem. Honestly, if you add even a single coral frag or bit of macroalgae, you would potentially be introducing pests anyhow. Those are likely bristleworms, which are fine if they aren't giant, and it likely isn't chaeto if it is attached, maybe hair algae?

Most importantly, get your seahorses from a very reputable source (I used Southwatch Seahorse and was very happy).

Stacye
07/24/2014, 07:00 AM
For someone just starting out in keeping seahorses I think you may be better off with erectus,this is what I started out with,they are one of the hardest for beginners.

Erectus is the hardest or beginners? Or seahorses in general? I don't want to start with the hardest to keep and I was actually thinking about a pair of erectus.

rayjay
07/24/2014, 08:40 AM
I suspect she meant to say "hardiest" rather than hardest.
Erectus are as easy as any to keep, and have fry that are easier than many others to raise.

Stacye
07/26/2014, 08:15 AM
Ahhh! That makes much more sense. Thanks

kudagirl
07/31/2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks Ray yes what I should of said was hardiest,sorry for useing the wrong word.

I have erectus myself and have had some young,but was unable to keep them after six or seven days,just waiting for some more to come along.

Wishing you the best of luck when you get them.