PDA

View Full Version : How Many LED Fixtures Have Arm/Gooseneck Mounts?

Fade2White12
07/21/2014, 10:08 AM
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of having a 36"x24" rimless tank built. Although I love the look of rimless aquariums, I'm having a very hard time finding a mounting option that I like that will carry over the nice aesthetic to the entire setup.

Kits with suspended lights via hanging kits have power cords and whatnot dangling in plain sight, and I don't overly want to drill into the ceiling/wall or my stand to hang lights. Legs look ok, but it really take away from the look of a rimless (might as well get a rimmed).

So really, the only look I seem to really like are those with gooseneck/hanging arms that clamp to the rim of the aquarium. Cords can be hidden, no drilling required, and has a much less drastic effect on the aesthetic.

I'm already aware of Kessil's gooseneck mounts, as well as the new RMS for the Radions, but are there any others that I'm missing? And, would any of the options cover my tank with a single fixture?

Thanks!

Fade2White12
07/21/2014, 02:47 PM
After some searching, it looks like there a few "aftermarket" hanging options. Most seem ridiculously priced for what they are, but I suppose they need to be as they're small-batch items.

I'm kinda leaning towards a single Radion XR30w (or Pro) with the wide-angle lens upgrade and hanging it with the R.M.S. when it is released. According to Ecotech, the upgraded lenses should prove to cover a 36" tank just fine.

The only other option I see is 2x Kessils, but since I want to be able to easily control them, it means I have to get the 360s, spending at least $1k.

Any other ideas?

EcoTech Marine
07/21/2014, 03:10 PM
I think a single XR30w Pro with wide angle lenses will be a great light for this size aquarium. Two XR15w Pro's instead would cost a bit more but would provide more even light distribution over the tank.

The RMS kit is coming very soon and will be an excellent addition to your aquarium. It's designed to be extremely adjustable and has built in cord routing as well. You won't be able to see the cords at all with this kit.

Right now we're also running a promo that you can get a Reeflink for $99 with the purchase of any other EcoTech Marine light or pump. While the Reeflink is not necessary to control our Radion light, it is a very nice and stable addition to the product line allowing for the ultimate in remote control and monitoring of your tank. It would then also let you add in a VorTech. A single MP40w on that size tank would work very well as would two MP10w's.

All this being said, the ultimate setup would be 2x MP10w's, 2x XR15w Pro's, and a Reeflink. Then you'd have state-of-the-art equipment that is built to last a lifetime, includes a great warranty, and represents the ultimate in control and flexibility. You can even throw in a Dropcam web cam into EcoSmart Live and view your tank from your phone at any location.

T

jrozzi
07/21/2014, 03:43 PM
I think a single XR30w Pro with wide angle lenses will be a great light for this size aquarium. Two XR15w Pro's instead would cost a bit more but would provide more even light distribution over the tank.

The RMS kit is coming very soon and will be an excellent addition to your aquarium. It's designed to be extremely adjustable and has built in cord routing as well. You won't be able to see the cords at all with this kit.

Right now we're also running a promo that you can get a Reeflink for $99 with the purchase of any other EcoTech Marine light or pump. While the Reeflink is not necessary to control our Radion light, it is a very nice and stable addition to the product line allowing for the ultimate in remote control and monitoring of your tank. It would then also let you add in a VorTech. A single MP40w on that size tank would work very well as would two MP10w's.

All this being said, the ultimate setup would be 2x MP10w's, 2x XR15w Pro's, and a Reeflink. Then you'd have state-of-the-art equipment that is built to last a lifetime, includes a great warranty, and represents the ultimate in control and flexibility. You can even throw in a Dropcam web cam into EcoSmart Live and view your tank from your phone at any location.

T

A dropcam web cam I have never heard of this where do I get one?

EcoTech Marine
07/21/2014, 04:27 PM
A dropcam web cam I have never heard of this where do I get one?

https://www.dropcam.com/

These are third part web cams which sync seamlessly with EcoSmart Live. Add one to your aquarium and watch the tank from anywhere using your ESL app on your mobile device. If you want to adjust the color of your tank or even the wave modes you can do so from your phone with a video of the tank in the background so that you can see the effect of the change if you're not at home.

Here's a video on how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd0tAEWmqAA

T

Fade2White12
07/22/2014, 08:41 AM

T

Thanks so much for that detailed response! I already plan on going with Vortechs due to the clean look and keeping cords out of my display. As you can tell, aesthetics are extremely important to me!

Regarding the Radions, two XR15w will be just too much strain on the pocket book, so I'd prefer to go with the single XR30w or Pro model. With that being said, how significant would the performance between the basic and Pro with the wide-angle lenses be with my tank footprint? The tank will primarily be softie/LPS dominated with a few SPS towards the top.

If I go the Radion route, is the Pro that much of a better choice?

Thanks!

EcoTech Marine
07/22/2014, 09:25 AM
The spread between the Pro model and the base model XR30w will be the same, you just won't get as much PAR throughout the tank with the base model. This means that you could raise the Pro higher to get more light at the edges while still getting the same PAR as a base model lower.

Given that you're on a budget and are planning on keeping SPS primarily at the top, I'd go with an XR30w base model, wide angle lens kit, RMS kit (which will be available within the next few weeks), one MP40w or two MP10w's (recommended because two pumps are always better than one), and a Reeflink. With this setup you will have more than adequate flow and lighting to house nearly anything so long as it's positioned correctly.

The Reeflink will give wireless access to ESL for your Radions and allow you to control the VorTech's from the same user interface on your computer or mobile device. The Reeflink is a considerably cheaper option than buying a third party controller plus eliminates the need to program one (not an easy task if you're like me and NOT a computer engineer). Future EcoTech products will all be controllable via ESL through the Reeflink. Since you're going to be buying this equipment new you'll qualify for the 50% off on the Reeflink which is a really great deal.

Going with EcoTech Marine means you'll have the full software and physical product support from our award winning staff as well as one of the best re-sale values of any salwater aquarium equipment brands, meaning should you leave the hobby for some reason you will recover a large part of your investment back.

T