PDA

View Full Version : Catalina gobies are not what you think!

Noah 123
07/21/2014, 04:28 PM
I've read many stories about people putting catalina gobies in reef tanks, and then they die. I'm making this thread so people know they are NOT reef fish, and will DIE :deadhorse1: in a reef environment.

Catalina gobies are interesting, and have striking colouration on their small, slender bodies. This is what drives many people to add one to a reef tank. But here is what many local fish stores (lfs) don't tell you. CATALINA GOBIES ARE A COLD WATER SPECIES THAT WILL NOT SURVIVE IN A WARM REEF TANK!!!!!!!

Not only this, but they are also hard to feed and very expensive. Think before you buy this fish!

http://i58.*******.com/106li5k.jpg

degibson84
07/21/2014, 05:28 PM
The reason I have never bought one as much as I want one

Noah 123
07/21/2014, 05:34 PM
How does this become a sticky thread?

Betta132
07/22/2014, 01:01 PM
The Austin Aquarium has about five of these cuties in their cold-water section, doing great.
They're adorable, but they're doomed in reef tanks unless it's a coldwater reef.

ca1ore
07/22/2014, 05:29 PM
How does this become a sticky thread?

Presumably if a mod believes it is of singular and ongoing interest to a majority of posters. Does this meet that 'requirement'? It's good information, but hardly breaking news to those of use who have been keeping these tanks for years. BTW, not just true for these gobies, but for many of the deeper water anthias species .... and maybe angels.

humaguy
07/22/2014, 07:10 PM
Presumably if a mod believes it is of singular and ongoing interest to a majority of posters. Does this meet that 'requirement'? It's good information, but hardly breaking news to those of use who have been keeping these tanks for years. BTW, not just true for these gobies, but for many of the deeper water anthias species .... and maybe angels.

agree...and it is always best to read and research livestock on your own...
def the case with some angels even some trigs, like xhatch..

ace_92101
07/22/2014, 07:20 PM
Sorry for your loss. That said, I havent heard people mention that they're an option for a reef tank. It sounds like there're some poor LFS's in your area. Diving a lot in Southern California, I'm happy when the shallow water temperature is in the high 50's/low 60's!

snorvich
07/22/2014, 08:13 PM
Sorry for your loss. That said, I havent heard people mention that they're an option for a reef tank. It sounds like there're some poor LFS's in your area. Diving a lot in Southern California, I'm happy when the shallow water temperature is in the high 50's/low 60's!

That is cold. WW wimp here. :eek:

jaws021
07/23/2014, 09:57 AM
Wow, never knew that. I had 2 die on me already.

Deinonych
07/23/2014, 02:26 PM
That is cold. WW wimp here. :eek:

Agreed. Hawai'i water is about as cold as I like - with a 5mm exposure suit to boot. :)

ace_92101
07/23/2014, 02:44 PM
Agreed. Hawai'i water is about as cold as I like - with a 5mm exposure suit to boot. :)

+1. Bellow mid 70's is too cold. I always marvel when looking at a packed Southern California beach in summer. You can count the swimmers on 1 or 2 hands! I dive with a 7 mm wetsuit with a built in hood and still wish I had a dry suit. Catalina Gobies would be nice in a small temperate tank.

snorvich
07/23/2014, 02:47 PM
+1. Bellow mid 70's is too cold. I always marvel when looking at a packed Southern California beach in summer. You can count the swimmers on 1 or 2 hands! I dive with a 7 mm wetsuit with a built in hood and still wish I had a dry suit. Catalina Gobies would be nice in a small temperate tank.

Even with a dry suit, you need good underwear as the cold just takes away your body heat. And of course, unless you have made provision for it, there is that "other" problem.

Noah 123
07/23/2014, 02:51 PM
I made this thread because in another thread I saw a couple of days ago someone recommended a catalina goby to someone else.

ace_92101
07/23/2014, 02:59 PM
Even with a dry suit, you need good underwear as the cold just takes away your body heat. And of course, unless you have made provision for it, there is that "other" problem.

Agreed. I don't think I'll ever make the switch, even though I dive a lot. I'll probably dive La Jolla next weekend. On a side note, for those not from Southern California, Catalina has some world class cold water diving.

snorvich
07/23/2014, 04:18 PM
I made this thread because in another thread I saw a couple of days ago someone recommended a catalina goby to someone else.

When we see that we always indicate that it is unsuitable. Thanks for your concern.

snorvich
07/23/2014, 04:20 PM
On a side note, for those not from Southern California, Catalina has some world class cold water diving.

Some of the best diving ever. In some ways comparable to the southern coast of Kangaroo Island just off Australia.

ace_92101
07/23/2014, 04:25 PM
Some of the best diving ever. In some ways comparable to the southern coast of Kangaroo Island just off Australia.

Agreed. I went to Kangaroo Island many years ago. No penguins in California though!

Deinonych
07/23/2014, 04:28 PM
Back on topic - looks like DD has some tank-bred Catalina Gobies up for sale. Says they were spawned and reared at temps of 72-76°F. Still too cool for a reef tank, but I wonder if that is still too warm for long-term success (not that I plan to get any)?

Lauracooks
07/24/2014, 03:55 PM
has anyone attempted to keep these in a species tank with a chiller? would be cool

locuus
07/24/2014, 07:53 PM
Even those from the 'warmer' Queensland waters here in Oz only live for about a year in a regular tank. The increased metabolism ensures a quick death.

Betta132
07/25/2014, 12:15 AM
I think the problem here is the fact that they're gobies.
Most gobies have very similar care requirements. I suppose people just don't realize that it's something unusual.