PDA

View Full Version : How high is your intensity?

fishguy597
07/21/2014, 07:18 PM
I'm trying to see how high I can go. I have been raising my intensity 5% a month. I'm currently at 70% and I have been running my gen 2's for 16 months. How high are you ? Lol

Eastamherstbias
07/21/2014, 10:58 PM
Well with great power comes responsibility. With proper acclimation you can get the intensity up there. I have had radions since day 1. My corals look the best when they are not being blasted with intense light. I keep the lights between 50-70% Max and 9.5-10 hours of light.

mfinn
07/22/2014, 08:17 AM
Here is a little info on different peoples intensity.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2346704

fishguy597
07/22/2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the link I did remember the beginning of that a while ago and forgot about it. I seen a post in the Sps forum where someone claimed that they were running100% and had great colors. It got me thinking but not on how to use the search lol.

aleithol
07/22/2014, 07:58 PM
Agree with Eastamherstbias. There are many variables here, and no single answer. How many Radions; how close together; over what length-width-depth of tank; where you want to place what sort of inhabitants; how your aquascape impacts lighting below it; what spectrums, for what intensity, and what duration; if you have a newer or mature tank having to deal with GHA and other new tank syndrome challenges; and with Radions, if you have standard or Pro models, then standard or wide angle lenses that provide a dramatic difference on depth and fringes PAR.

I may be a relative newbie at this LED lighting thing compared to many, but I already sort of cringe at the generic questions with the little I know and have figured out trying to study and use other peoples specs as starting points with my setup, even owning my own PAR meter... It's great to get starting examples, but IMHO try to find ones similar to your tank setup if you can, then think through other variables -- e.g. UV is many times not specified in what people provide and if you allow it to default to 100% as some profiles and acclimation profiles do like I unfortunately allowed mine to, you may end up frying some of your corals even if relatively low light intensity is used. IMHO, today's (almost overly) powerful LED lighting has some hard lessons at least a few of us end up learning the hard way, in a complex subject where one size does not fit all.

My best suggestion, start slow with whatever you do, and dial up over time -- not hour-by-hour or even day-by-day.