PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe fish

smoothie7
07/22/2014, 01:21 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank that crashed about a month ago and lost all the fish however all of the coral is doing great. In a couple more weeks I am going to start to add fish again and have a couple questions just to make sure everything is compatible.

As far as cleanup crew goes I have an electric blue crab, Halloween crab, 1 emerald crab and 5 snails. Thinking about getting 2-3 more emerald crabs and a couple fire shrimp. Thoughts? What about peppermint shrimp to battle aptasia? Are they aggressive? I was thinking of getting 3-4?

As far as fish goes, I would love to have a harlequin tusk, yellow tang, 2 purple firefish, and maybe a 6 line wrasse just to keep any worm population down. Is the 6 line going to be too aggressive? Will the tusk bother any of the other fish or coral? Any specific order I should put the fish in at?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Dmorty217
07/22/2014, 01:50 PM
Hermits will kill one another and snails to steal shells. The tusk will eventually outgrow a 90g and rarely come in small (3" or smaller) and they aren't usually great tank mates with shrimp. Yellow tang, same thing with the tank size. The sixline will get aggressive to new tank mates after it's established. If you get a sixline, cover the top with netting.

dmh41532
07/22/2014, 01:52 PM
from what I understand, the six line will be an issue, I am told they're pretty aggressive even in a larger tank. The two firefish may or may not fight, as for the tusk...they generally will not bother corals, but hermits and snails will likely be on the menu.

dmh41532
07/22/2014, 01:54 PM
also, with the hermits, be sure to provide plenty of extra shells for them to change into, or they will kill the snails, you may or may not need to feed them, if they are hungry, they will take any opportunity for a meal.

Noah 123
07/22/2014, 03:03 PM
Harlequin tusk will outgrow that tank if it doesn't eat all of the clean up crew first (needs 150 gallon tank).

Yellow tang should be OK, but they usually need at least a 115 gallon.

The firefish will be fine, but a tank cover is needed as they will likely jump out of the tank.

The sixline wrasse will probably be OK :uhoh3:, but it should be added last if at all. They're small but can be very aggressive.

I'd also add a yellow watchman goby + pistol shrimp pair and a pair of ocellaris clowns.

eatbreakfast
07/22/2014, 05:45 PM
Instead of a sixline, Halichoeres wrasses are good at pest control and not nearly as aggressive as sixlines.

A yellow tang should be ok, but that is about the minimum tank size.

Firefish will be more timid with larger active fish in the tank.

Unfortunately, the tusk is too large, which is a shame as they have great personality. Small ones are seasonal and available infrequently, but are in season currently.

smoothie7
07/23/2014, 08:04 AM
If I get a halichoeres wrasse (hoeven) will it be compaitable with the harlequin tusk?

screamingibis
07/23/2014, 09:52 AM
If I get a halichoeres wrasse (hoeven) will it be compaitable with the harlequin tusk?

I had a hoeven that tore up my entire clean-up crew; snails, hermits, shrimp and all. They're a cool fish but can be a hit and miss as far as aggression. Had to pull out all rock and coral to get him out. PIA. I went with the possum wrasses and a pink streak. They're way less aggressive.

alten78
07/23/2014, 01:30 PM
The harlequin tusk will eat your snails and crabs and will get too big for your 90. I must be in the minority here, but ive had a few 6 lines over the years and have never had any aggression from them. I really like firefish, but as others have said, they will jump (like many goby's) and i have found far too many that i would like to admit on the floor. Instead of a yellow tang, have a look at a kole tang or my favorite the tomini tang. they do well in smaller tanks and graze all day long.