PDA

View Full Version : I ordered some empty hermit crab shells, but...

kelp47
07/22/2014, 03:16 PM
They all seems too big! I ordered a dozen medium hermit crab shells, thinking my hermit crabs were probably small, but the shells that arrived will not work. I might put a couple of the smaller ones in there, but the rest are clearly way too large. I guess my hermits are extra, extra small.

I ordered mine from thatpetplace.com. Where do you order yours?

TruReef
07/22/2014, 03:21 PM
many local fish stores will give you empty shells for hermits, just ask......

planedoc
07/22/2014, 03:29 PM
My LFS has a large tote you can hand pic from, they have a price of 10 for a dollar but usually just give them for free with any purchase.
I just checked the Web site .09 cents each. If you asked for 100 assorted ( small to medium) shells I'm sure you would be very happy for $9 plus shipping. I have a big jar full and most refers should. I always let my friends kids pick one to take home as a souvenir after they see my tanks. Maybe just ask your local store or check local forums or even post a wanted ad on Craigslist.
http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=L-SHELL&Category_Code=

kelp47
07/22/2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks, guys. My lfs store is fairly new and didn't have any last time I asked, but there are a couple others in town I will try.

"I always let my friends kids pick one to take home as a souvenir after they see my tanks." Ha ha... that's a fun idea. I plan on having a tank debut party soon, and will invite all those who have listened to my endless babbling about my reef plans. Maybe I should do this, too!

Savant
07/23/2014, 07:01 AM
They all seems too big!
LOL yea thats what I thought as well, but I put some in the tank anyway thinking that maybe if the crabs had bigger shells to choose from they would stop mugging my snails. For the most part it seemed to work as I would see the hermits struggling to drag their obviously, too large, brand new "Mansions" around as well as a reduction in the number of 'home swapping' incidents with the snails. It was pretty comical to watch a small hermit try and take possession of a shell that was obviously too large for it, with the crab pulling his current mobile home next to the upgrade and then proceeding to switch back and forth multiple times till he finally realized his "upgrade" was above his pay grade and he went back to his old shanty. :bum:
Eventually though they grew to the size of the bigger shells and seem to be very happy as well and now leave the snails alone.

kelp47
07/23/2014, 07:37 AM
Ha ha... Sounds entertaining! Nevertheless, I did order some others last night-- much cheaper than my too-large ones, too!

atrox
07/23/2014, 10:53 AM
Go to a sea shell website, hobby lobby, michaels or any other craft store.

Reeferz412
07/23/2014, 10:54 AM
reefcleaners.org. John will give you more than you ever need.

kelp47
07/23/2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I actually ordered from reefcleaners last night. The minimum order is $5.00, so I just ordered enough spare hermit shells to reach this amount. So I have 63 empty shells on the way! :)

Reeferz412
07/24/2014, 03:50 PM
So I have 200 empty shells on the way! :)

ftfy. ^ thats more like it lol

I think he gets the bag and just dumps whatever he feels is adequate. Which is always quite a bit more than you ask for.