PDA

View Full Version : Another Venustus Thread

caribfan
07/23/2014, 09:38 AM
I think we all know the saying, "third times a charm". So it goes for me and my attempts at keeping Venustus.

This is my third attempt, my first two being miserable failures.

1st Attempt: Two years ago, single fish brought in by my local contact. Advertised prior to ordering as being in great condition and eating. Upon arrival, it had a red sore near it's anus, which ended up rupturing and caused the fish to die within 48 hours or arriving. No feeding response, very disappointed, :(.

2nd Attempt: This past Christmas, single very small fish (cool size) ordered from a popular online retailer. I tried just about every food possible, including building Paul B's little brine shrimp hatcher thing. Long, ugly, story short, fish didn't make it. Kind of was turned off of Venustus from that point on.

Last week, I learned of some venustus that were again, advertised as eating well and in great condition. After much deliberation and rearranging of quarantine tanks, I decided to pull the trigger.

I wanted a pair and with the experiences I had in the past, decided to order three in the very likely case that I would lose one in shipping or immediately thereafter.

I am very happy to report that all three fish are doing exceptionally well!:bounce1:

They pretty much all took to LRS food immediately, the biggest and smallest of the three trying it in the bucket.

Initially I was concerned that I might lose the medium sized one of the three, however in the last two days, he too has seemed to turn around.

These fish eat NLS Pellets, ON Prime Reef Flake, LRS Herb Mix, and PE mysis.

I'd love some input on whether this is a species that can be kept as a trio. It wasn't my initial intention, but being that I have three healthy fish at the moment, I think that's what I may end up with.

Here is a short video of relatively poor quality. If I get a chance later this week, I'll try to get some good pictures.

Long term these fish were destined for my 240 FOWLR, but depending on what transpires, I may try my hand at breeding these little guys. I fall into the category of total novice when it comes to breeding and hearing larvae, so we'll see where that goes.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trimE39E83A6-7105-4C3B-98DC-C0B72D56E12D_zpsc1a53bb3.mp4 (http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/trimE39E83A6-7105-4C3B-98DC-C0B72D56E12D_zpsc1a53bb3.mp4)

HPark
07/23/2014, 10:27 AM
Nice work and good luck! Not to turn this into a thread regarding vendors but where did you get the recent three?

Hope it turns out well.

caribfan
07/23/2014, 10:54 AM
Hey Hpark, I wish you were closer. You were the first person I thought of when I saw I was going to have three.

These fish were purchased from a local guy that does a very small amount of specialty ordering for his clients. Unfortunately, he does not ship.

Ambition
07/23/2014, 10:58 AM
Very nice trio you have. I think my multibars would eat LRS, but I can't get it easily since I'm in the three day zone and I can only mail order through an LFS (it thaws by time I get it).

The hard part of breeding is reading the larvae, and as is the case with most angelfish, longer larval phases mean increased difficulty. If you do some day want to breed them is suggest getting your feet wet, so to speak, with things like clownfish and working your way to the angels.

humaguy
07/23/2014, 11:26 AM
Matt,

Excellent news, very happy for you!!

TK

ca1ore
07/23/2014, 12:27 PM
Very nice! I'm toying with trying one myself. Stunning fish.

caribfan
07/23/2014, 01:21 PM
Very nice trio you have. I think my multibars would eat LRS, but I can't get it easily since I'm in the three day zone and I can only mail order through an LFS (it thaws by time I get it).

The hard part of breeding is reading the larvae, and as is the case with most angelfish, longer larval phases mean increased difficulty. If you do some day want to breed them is suggest getting your feet wet, so to speak, with things like clownfish and working your way to the angels.

The same person that got the Venustus texted me this week about Multibars. Said he had a good number that were eating and in good health. Tempting, I just don't have the room at the moment, hate to pass on the opportunity.

From a spawning perspective, should I keep them separate long term or house them in my display. Any idea on how to tell a male from a female? Are these fish that typically exist in trios or pairs in the wild.

Maybe Karen can chime in with some of her wisdom since she's done it before.

I have read a little on marine breeding, but am far off from it at the moment. I'm not even sure these fish are sexually mature. Of course, i'm not really sure how to tell either.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm pretty excited about these guys.

caribfan
07/23/2014, 01:22 PM
Matt,

Excellent news, very happy for you!!

TK

Thanks Ted, I'm pretty thrilled.

On a sad note, I'm down to my last pack of LRS food that I bought back in March. I may try ordering directly from him as I don't think either of the two stores that stock his stuff locally have any.

caribfan
07/23/2014, 01:24 PM
Very nice! I'm toying with trying one myself. Stunning fish.

Thanks. I wish I could give you pointers on what to do if you try them, but my success rate is 3 for 6 at the moment and I didn't do anything differently with the first three that I did with these three.

I think the specimens from DD are probably the best way to go if you don't have a good local contact for these guys.

I need to take some good pictures, the biggest of the three has amazing colors on it's anal fin.

ca1ore
07/23/2014, 01:57 PM

On a sad note, I'm down to my last pack of LRS food that I bought back in March. I may try ordering directly from him as I don't think either of the two stores that stock his stuff locally have any.

FWIW, I ordered mine directly from Larry, and while the minimum order gets you a year or two supply - that's what a freezer is for :lol:

ca1ore
07/23/2014, 02:01 PM
Thanks. I wish I could give you pointers on what to do if you try them, but my success rate is 3 for 6 at the moment and I didn't do anything differently with the first three that I did with these three.

I think the specimens from DD are probably the best way to go if you don't have a good local contact for these guys.

I need to take some good pictures, the biggest of the three has amazing colors on it's anal fin.

I hear ya! While I think there are lots of things we can control when getting and acclimating a fish, the most important thing we cannot control: getting a healthy specimen!

Unfortunately I don't have a particularly good success rate in getting fish off DD. I see the sneak peek, think 'self, must buy this fish', then forget to check back at 6 pm .....

BTW, did they come from BZoo?

alton
07/23/2014, 02:40 PM
Another vote for LRS, I have a blueface in QT. When I first got him he hid all the time, now he darts up to meet the white plastic spoon full of LRS food

humaguy
07/23/2014, 03:48 PM

yeah, call him...he will send...

caribfan
07/23/2014, 06:10 PM
I hear ya! While I think there are lots of things we can control when getting and acclimating a fish, the most important thing we cannot control: getting a healthy specimen!

Unfortunately I don't have a particularly good success rate in getting fish off DD. I see the sneak peek, think 'self, must buy this fish', then forget to check back at 6 pm .....

BTW, did they come from BZoo?

Not from BZoo. Local guy.

o2manyfish
07/24/2014, 01:14 AM
Great news that your trio is doing so well. I have a pair of medium sized that are doing well after about a month. I have the opportunity to pick up a juvenile thats eating well and thinking about adding it to the mix. They are such pretty fish, and I am a sucker for tiny angels.

Congrats on your success !

Dave B

caribfan
07/24/2014, 06:55 AM
Great news that your trio is doing so well. I have a pair of medium sized that are doing well after about a month. I have the opportunity to pick up a juvenile thats eating well and thinking about adding it to the mix. They are such pretty fish, and I am a sucker for tiny angels.

Congrats on your success !

Dave B

Thanks Dave, I'm pretty excited about them. I'm going to do my best to keep their progress updated on this thread. I want to get them all eating really well before starting any preventative treatments.

o2manyfish
07/24/2014, 11:46 AM
Matt,

I think your plan for them sounds great. My pair went weeks only hunting to feed themselves and then in hiding most of the time. Then with a period of 48 hours they went from hiding, to 1 coming out for pellet food, then both coming out to eat for flake food, to now there is almost 1 always visible in the tank. So I am confident now that they are happy and feeding well.

My experience with these in the past is the first hurdle is getting them nutrition, anything else you might have to treat is irrelevant if the fish isn't eating.

I look forward to lots more updates and photos.

Dave B

ca1ore
07/24/2014, 11:58 AM
Awesome, chaps! So given the feeding challenges, I assume that a PVC-equipped, standard QT is not going to cut it with these fish? What is the best approach?

caribfan
07/24/2014, 01:23 PM
Awesome, chaps! So given the feeding challenges, I assume that a PVC-equipped, standard QT is not going to cut it with these fish? What is the best approach?

I have zero liverock and only PVC in my quarantine tank. It's pretty established though (more than 2 years) and has a fair amount of algae growing in it.

griseum
07/25/2014, 08:22 AM
I cut short the QT period and chose to ParaGuard bathe mine several times and return it to its own small QT for the last 4 days of QT, with freshly made SW. I had prazi treated and FW dipped first in my 125g established Quarantine tank. I was able to get it eating pellets off the bottom and start to eat them, and spirulina brine out of the water column before moving to the very sterile 10g after the ParaGuard baths. Then acclimated to the display.
Just my 2 cents regarding the QT of this species. Since purchasing it has put on weight, healed up slightly split fins in small areas and has become bold and less shy in higher lighting.

caribfan
07/25/2014, 12:28 PM
Can anyone comment on how to tell a male from a female? Are these a fish that have the ability to change back and forth or is it a case of once a male or female always a male or female.

HPark
07/25/2014, 03:45 PM
tbh, when I tried mine, it developed ich after the second or third day in a 20g tank with tons of live rock. In hindsight, I would have placed it in a more bare QT because it was a pain to capture. If I tried again, I'd probably treat it like any other fish and start TTM after purchase.

Hey Hpark, I wish you were closer. You were the first person I thought of when I saw I was going to have three.

These fish were purchased from a local guy that does a very small amount of specialty ordering for his clients. Unfortunately, he does not ship.

Me too! I may try to look locally or just wait for DD. Though I am tempted to just wait for the next round of Joc's so who knows.

caribfan
07/26/2014, 02:30 PM
Quick Update:

I noticed the little one of the three hasn't been eating so well and seems to be going after only the tiniest of food pieces, so I picked up some cyclopeeze this afternoon. Multiple feedings later and he seems to really prefer the small particle size.

The other two have great appetites and none of the fish show any signs of distress or parasite infections. I plan to keep feedings heavy and frequent. I'm also sticking to a pretty strict water change schedule of every 4 - 5 days at this point.

aquaph8
07/26/2014, 05:39 PM
Glad they're doing well for you Matt, Mine like the LRS food and pellets too.

caribfan
07/26/2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks Brett, the bigger two will eat pellets well, it's just the smaller one that had gotten picky in the last couple days.

I'm lucky that all three eat from the water column though .

Anybody know how to tell male from female?

aquaph8
07/26/2014, 05:50 PM
Mines just starting to eat frozen foods but still just off the bottom, I'm hoping the two wrasses he's in with will show him the ropes. I have no idea on sexing them.

Ambition
07/26/2014, 05:56 PM
Other than size, there isn't anything that distinguishes male from female. Although, Karen noted a white bar towards the caudal fin on her female IIRC.

I'm glad they are doing well for you. My smaller multibar is by far more picky than the larger one. The pieces of food have to be the right size and shape I have noticed. Now to find an affordable way to get myself some LRF for the multibars.

griseum
07/27/2014, 11:52 AM
The following is not mine, I cut/paste an excerpt from a brief article I believe written by Matt Pedersen, located at this Link:
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142
These are generalities for most of the Centropyge species. However noting that Venustus' are often found in harems, and that they are Protogynous Hermaphrodites, I believe that the only true way to determine who's who, regarding sex, would be to start with a small group of one slightly large specimen, and several smaller specimens. The references M.Pedersen used to gather the below information are also available on the link I provided. Apparently the sex reversal can go in either direction, with one direction taking quite longer than the other.

"
3 – Reproduction:

3.1 – Sex determination:
Sequential hermaphrodites (protogynous). Once sex reversal starts, it takes around 15-30 days to get finished.
However, at least C. ferrugata males can also undergo complete sex reversal back to female, which takes up to 90 days to finish.

3.2 – Sexual organization:
Pairs or multi-females harems (up to 7 individuals, depending on the species).

3.3 – Sexing:
As with many protogynous species, males are usually larger than females.

Some species have sexual dichromatism like what´s said about Flame Angelfishes (Centropyge loriculus); The males seem to have more blue on the soft dorsal and anal, and seem to have pointed soft dorsal and anal fins instead of rounded.

For Potter's Angelfish (Centropyge potteri), it is is said that "The orange darkens to bluish black on much of the lower side and this dark area is larger in males than in females, making them easy to distinguish in the field (i.e. females show more orange)....Males have more blue on the fins than females and their bodies are slightly more elongate." at http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/fish_of_mo ... _04_04.htm

I (Matt) can also personally add that in my spawning trio of Centropyge argi, the male does seem to have a more elongate body shape and is significantly larger than the females at this time.

3.4 - Pairing / Setting Up Broodstock:
As a general rule, chosing a large specimen and one or more "small" specimens will set you up with a pair/harem. These should be added to the aquarium at the same time. The smallest species (i.e. C. argi, C. fisheri) can be set up, maintained and spawned in aquariums as small as 20 gallons (provided their is adequate height for the spawning rise). Aquariums 55 gallons and larger may be required for the larger species. There is a "rumor" that insufficient tank height may impact fertility of spawns, so a broodstock tank with "ample height" is something to consider when setting up for breeding.

3.5 – Courtship:
Courtship in C. argi commenses as earily as 1 hour before "lights out". The male of C. argi even undergoes a color transformation with a dramatic lightening of the blue flanks to a near-white coloration. The male actively "soars", displays to females and may make false spawning rises in the aquarium.

3.6 – Spawning:
Pelagic spawners.
Depending on the species, or perhaps even the particular "couple" spawning will occur around "lights out" (i.e. in C. argi spawning typically cocurs within a few minutes of "lights out"). The female rises into the open water column, the male following behind, nuzzleing the abdomen of the female. What follows takes less than a couple seconds - It is said that the actual spawning is then initiated by the male ramming/bumping the female's abdomen, then quickly changing position to line up genital openings, followed by a release of eggs and sperm, concluded with a quick dash back to the safety of "reef". The boyant eggs float to the surface. "

This is a bit from Fishbase.org regarding Centropyge venusta's Biology:
Link: http://www.fishbase.org/summary/11189

"Biology Glossary (e.g. epibenthic)
Inhabits steep outer reef slopes (Ref. 9710); in ledges and caves (Ref. 48391). Shy species, not easily approached at close range (Ref. 4537). Usually observed singly, almost always upside down in reef caves (Ref. 47838); also forms pairs or small groups (Ref. 48391). Natural diet unknown (Ref. 48391). Sometimes forms hybrids with Centropyge multifasciata (Ref. 48391). Occasionally exported through the aquarium trade."

griseum
07/27/2014, 11:59 AM
Looked at your video again of the trio. They are fantastic!! I'd be willing to bet that the Large one will remain a dominant male, and the smallest one a sub/dominant female and the middle sized fish may go either dominant female or sub-dominant male. The variations in size are a good thing IMO.
Best of luck. Gorgeous fish!!

caribfan
07/27/2014, 03:24 PM
Looked at your video again of the trio. They are fantastic!! I'd be willing to bet that the Large one will remain a dominant male, and the smallest one a sub/dominant female and the middle sized fish may go either dominant female or sub-dominant male. The variations in size are a good thing IMO.
Best of luck. Gorgeous fish!!

Thanks Gris, I'm pretty happy with them . If I finish up the plumbing on my 240 tonight I'll try to take another video during feeding time. That little one really prefers the cyclopeeze. Hard to believe such a small thing can sustain that fish, hopefully he'll start eating the LRS food with more gusto soon

caribfan
07/28/2014, 05:30 AM
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3sIKHnzOpU
You can see the smallest of the three around the 20 second mark.

ca1ore
07/28/2014, 11:49 AM
Guess what popped up on the DD sneak peek today?

caribfan
07/28/2014, 12:02 PM
I'll be curious to see the price. Does bonded pair mean they are a collected pair?

ca1ore
07/28/2014, 01:02 PM
Dunno, but I could spend a small fortune just on today's list alone - venustus pair, orangepeel, gem tang ......

Rea17
07/28/2014, 01:04 PM
A small fortune? Too bad gem tangs don't have wheels...

Gl to whoever gets the venustus, I'd be trying for it but my qts are full of wrasses!

caribfan
07/28/2014, 01:37 PM
The only thing id be interested is that golden, I'd like a pair of those at some point. DD has an unusually attractive one a few months ago that I keep kicking myself for not buying.

ca1ore
07/28/2014, 02:02 PM
A small fortune?

Hah, yeah, well it's all relative I suppose ..... I've spent a small fortune on stereo gear too .... and it doesn't get ich :lol:

HPark
07/28/2014, 04:04 PM
Hm....I was chomping at the bit at 5...I haven't received the email yet. Did anyone see the Venustus pair or not available today?

ca1ore
07/28/2014, 04:11 PM
Already gone - $400 (not to me :()

HPark
07/28/2014, 04:17 PM
Frustrating. I was on the page and refreshed immediately at 5. Didn't even see them available until I got the email...hopefully, they'll have a few more coming soon. :headwally:

caribfan
07/28/2014, 07:09 PM
Frustrating. I was on the page and refreshed immediately at 5. Didn't even see them available until I got the email...hopefully, they'll have a few more coming soon. :headwally:

Might be worth contacting Kevin directly. I know he's helped some others (ambition) out on the site get specific items. Not sure what the protocol is for that though.

Toddrtrex
07/28/2014, 09:22 PM
Hah, yeah, well it's all relative I suppose ..... I've spent a small fortune on stereo gear too .... and it doesn't get ich :lol:

My tube phono pre-amp cost more than the pair that will be arriving on Wednesday.

I was lucky with the "F5" today, had the confirmation email of the order before the email that the new update was available.

This pair will replace one that I had for 4 years --- lost it about 4 months ago, not sure what happened, just wasn't there one morning, never found a body.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/40%20breeder/vent2.jpg

In the short term, this pair will go into my 75. In the process of getting a new tank (( 6 footer, not sure yet on the total gallons, going to build a mock up to see what will fit the space best )), hope to have it up and running by mid fall, but going to take my time setting it up.

Currently have flameback dwarf in another tank, and a flame, coral beauty, & multicolored in yet another.

HPark
07/28/2014, 09:42 PM
Nice score! Yeah, I was just refreshing at work, I swear I didn't even see them load when new fish came on. I wouldn't want to play you in Jeopardy! :D

Toddrtrex
07/28/2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks.

Around 4:50 I just hit F5 like crazy, and made sure that my CC number was in the system and that the security # was ready to be pasted. Even shut my office door so that no one would come in and bother me at an important time.

ca1ore
07/28/2014, 10:18 PM
My tube phono pre-amp cost more than the pair that will be arriving on Wednesday.

Phono .... Tubes .... what ARE you talking about? :lol: Good luck with the pair. $400 gave me pause, and by the time I decided 'twas too late .... He who hesitates and all ..... Doesn't sound like it would have mattered anyhow. We expect pictures!

Ambition
07/28/2014, 11:25 PM
Might be worth contacting Kevin directly. I know he's helped some others (ambition) out on the site get specific items. Not sure what the protocol is for that though.

He has helped me with the pairs of multibars I have gotten. If you can get his contact information I'm sure he would help you acquire a venusta or maybe a pair. At the time I was looking for a pair of Paracentropyge complex angels, Kevin wasn't able to get any good venusta for pairing, so you might be lucky now.

If I hadn't been working tonight I was going to try and get the venusta pair. Glad Toddrtrex got them since I know they're going to a good home, which speaking of... How have you been?

caribfan
07/29/2014, 08:51 AM
Toddrtrex, such a bummer to hear you lost your fish after four years, I'm glad you got the pair.

I think these three that I have are ready to begin their prophylactic treatments, I plan to start with cupramine and move ever so slowly, though I'm a bit nervous. Prazi will be after the cupramine.

Rea17
07/29/2014, 09:19 AM
I'd be pretty nervous using cupramine on these guys. I've had some bad experiences with it lately on much hardier fish. I'm becoming a fan of TT method, you should consider it.

Toddrtrex
07/29/2014, 09:25 AM
Phono .... Tubes .... what ARE you talking about? :lol: Good luck with the pair. $400 gave me pause, and by the time I decided 'twas too late .... He who hesitates and all ..... Doesn't sound like it would have mattered anyhow. We expect pictures!

Ha. Yep, I am the one that still buys vinyl.

Funny enough, I didn't even realize how much I paid for them until afterwards, glad it wasn't too high. At least with the stereo stuff, usually have 6-12 months no interest. :)

When I get them I will post a new thread, or in the old one I had about my old Venustus.

He has helped me with the pairs of multibars I have gotten. If you can get his contact information I'm sure he would help you acquire a venusta or maybe a pair. At the time I was looking for a pair of Paracentropyge complex angels, Kevin wasn't able to get any good venusta for pairing, so you might be lucky now.

If I hadn't been working tonight I was going to try and get the venusta pair. Glad Toddrtrex got them since I know they're going to a good home, which speaking of... How have you been?

Thanks a lot.

Been doing okay (( had shoulder surgery about 3 months ago, must likely do the other one in the late fall )), the tanks have been on auto-pilot lately, with the shoulder and traveling. Though have been getting re-excited with the thought of the new tank and this pair.

Toddrtrex, such a bummer to hear you lost your fish after four years, I'm glad you got the pair.

I think these three that I have are ready to begin their prophylactic treatments, I plan to start with cupramine and move ever so slowly, though I'm a bit nervous. Prazi will be after the cupramine.

Thanks, have been looking for one for a while now, couldn't pass up the pair -- even more so with the girlfriend told me to do it, without asking the price. ;)

caribfan
07/29/2014, 12:40 PM
I'd be pretty nervous using cupramine on these guys. I've had some bad experiences with it lately on much hardier fish. I'm becoming a fan of TT method, you should consider it.

I guess I should probably look into that, I've never done it before though. First time for everything. I'm not wild about using the cupramine, that's for sure. Especially on fish that look completely healthy.

Rea17
07/29/2014, 01:38 PM
This thread was informative and helpful for me, especially posts #10 and #13

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996525

HPark
07/29/2014, 03:35 PM
One good thing I've found with angels using TTM. They'll generally hide in the PVC when I start lowering the water level. Makes it really easy to cup both ends of the PVC elbow with my hands, lift, water drains, and then release into new tank with matched salinity/temp. No chasing, no stress, fish don't seem worse for wear.

caribfan
08/03/2014, 10:36 AM
Started cupramine treatment. I'm just more comfortable with it than The TTM. Using half the recommended dose across twice the recommended ramp period. Should take eight days to get to effective concentration.

All fish are eating well from the water column.

HPark
08/03/2014, 02:03 PM
Started cupramine treatment. I'm just more comfortable with it than The TTM. Using half the recommended dose across twice the recommended ramp period. Should take eight days to get to effective concentration.

Good luck - glad they are doing well! Keep us updated!

aquaph8
08/03/2014, 03:53 PM

Mine seemed to be tolerating copper well as I was ramping it up, unfortunately the wrasse in with him wasn't so I had to pull the copper and go hypo. It's working well though.

caribfan
08/03/2014, 06:12 PM
Ted said that his handled it, and I've treated countless others with this protocol so I'm hopeful it won't be too bad. Just going to watch them closely.

Squared
08/08/2014, 01:05 PM
do your venustus poo come out stringy or chunky? is that weird to ask? lol

because mine has always had stringy poo and another angel i had had chunky poo, not sure if i need to change it's diet or something?

HPark
08/08/2014, 03:25 PM
I've always heard anecdotally that stringy poo is indicative of internal parasites. Others can give a more informed opinion though and treatment recommendations.

caribfan
08/08/2014, 08:50 PM
do your venustus poo come out stringy or chunky? is that weird to ask? lol

because mine has always had stringy poo and another angel i had had chunky poo, not sure if i need to change it's diet or something?

Not a weird question, at least not in this company. I'm generally concerned with stringy poo. Was it quarantined and treated with Prazi? If not, I'd probably go ahead and do that. Might also look into to API general cure as it contains metro, another well known parasite med. it's a bit harsher than Prazipro in my opinion.

The Venustus are doing well in cupramine, the final ramp dose is tomorrow morning and I tested the levels today at 0.2 -0.3.

The little guy is back int the LRS food again too!

Squared
08/08/2014, 09:44 PM
when i got the fish it got two 5 day rounds of prazipro, only five days because it had trouble eating with the medicine. that was a year ago, and this fish has always had stringy poo, it's brown though. maybe i'm missing something in its diet?

caribfan
08/08/2014, 10:11 PM
What do you feed it? And what kind of angel?

Squared
08/08/2014, 10:27 PM
venustus, eats pellets, forumal one, mysis, nori, other frozen stuff. i've always wanted to try some of that angel diet with sponge, but i can never find any

caribfan
08/08/2014, 11:24 PM
Hmm, yours is getting better variety than mine at the moment. I feed LRS reef frenzy and NLS pellets.

Squared
08/09/2014, 12:25 AM
after a year i'm not as concerned about the fish having some kind of disease or parasite, but also wondering if it's normal for other venustus to poo like this

caribfan
08/09/2014, 06:06 AM
after a year i'm not as concerned about the fish having some kind of disease or parasite, but also wondering if it's normal for other venustus to poo like this

Not trying to make you nervous, but I lost a potters angel for absolutely no discernable reason at all. Completely quarantined, eating everything, healthy as an ox...dead one day out of no where.

Did you say it is white and stringy, or just stringy.

griseum
08/09/2014, 09:33 AM
Just a thought, Ive been feeding frozen food, mixed with Seachem's Focus and Metro, to my multifasciatus and venustus.
I dont see the harm in giving it a shot, if there's any doubt whatsoever. A healthy "movement" is never stringy, in any fish IMO.
GL!

Matt- Glad to hear you're success with Cupramine. Please keep us updated on anything you notice. I took a different route, Prazi, ParaGuard, and Metro/Focus in food. So far so good. GL, as well!
Thanks!

caribfan
08/09/2014, 09:59 AM
Just a thought, Ive been feeding frozen food, mixed with Seachem's Focus and Metro, to my multifasciatus and venustus.
I dont see the harm in giving it a shot, if there's any doubt whatsoever. A healthy "movement" is never stringy, in any fish IMO.
GL!

Matt- Glad to hear you're success with Cupramine. Please keep us updated on anything you notice. I took a different route, Prazi, ParaGuard, and Metro/Focus in food. So far so good. GL, as well!
Thanks!

Thanks Gris, I only plan to do one two week treatment as they've never shown signs of ich before. I will be doing three Prazi treatments though.

Good to know a of the metro/focus product, metro makes me nervous for some reason. I'll have to lol I to that.

griseum
08/09/2014, 10:44 AM
The Focus and Metro are the same ol' Seachem products, nothing new. The powder in a small "vial" type jar with a blue label and orange topper.

I dont know if youre familiar with those Seachem products, so forgive me if Im just repeating info you already know. Focus comes as a powder, which when mixed with well-rinsed frozen brine/mysis/Mega-Marine/etc becomes a gelatin-binder that not only helps to keep the powdered medication of choice (ie Metro, Kanaplex, Sulfathiazole) from being lost into the water column, but also has antibiotic properties of its own.

IIRC, you use a 5:1 ratio of Focus-to-Meds when mixing the food up. So you end up using a lot of Focus. Ive been feeding frozen this way, with Focus and Metro/Kanaplex or whatever, to treat internal infections or infestations.

My Venusta lost a lot of weight, from hiding and only grazing, while acclimating to the display. To be safe and to make sure that it wasn't an internal parasite or worm contributing to the weight loss too, I added this regimen and hes been putting weight back on everyday!

I posted up a video over in my thread, if you'd like to check it out!

Squared
08/09/2014, 11:03 AM
Poo is brown and stringy. I've used metro and focus before, I might still have some actually.

Metro and focus has like no side effects so no need to be worried, caribfan.

aquaph8
08/09/2014, 12:11 PM
Gris, what's your ratio of food to meds with the metro?

griseum
08/09/2014, 01:18 PM
That's a tricky question, and one I've been pondering myself.
I'm looking at the Seachem Metro "bottle" now and it reads: "To feed, blend 1 measure with about 1 tablespoon of frozen food paste." Then they tell you to use Focus to minimize loss during feeding.

However, when I make a mix of frozen cubes in RO water, I mix up maybe 6-8 cubes of various Hikari/PE/San Francisco Bay and rinse and re-rinse to get rid of all of that extra Phosphate they like to add to the food. So with 8 cubes total I generally mix in ~8-10 measures of Focus and 3-4 measures of Metro or Kanamycin.
To really use 5:1 Focus to Meds would be incredibly expensive. Previously, I didn't use Focus at all. I just let the rinsed frozen sit at least 24 hrs with however many measures of Metro.
I'm thinking of looking for a simple Jello type gelatin that might do a much better job but lack whatever antibiotic properties the Focus supposedly has as well.

griseum
08/09/2014, 01:25 PM
In a nutshell, I'd guess that each cube, once thoroughly rinsed, would fill a full tablespoon. So for Metro I add about one scoop per two tablespoons of frozen. But it's not a paste, as they "instruct".

1 to 1 Focus to Frozen Cubes
0.5 to 1 Metro to Frozen Cubes

sc50964
08/09/2014, 01:54 PM
Brown and stringy waste doesn't necessarily mean the fish is sick. It could be just a sign that more meaty food is needed.

caribfan
08/11/2014, 06:35 PM
I am not good at posting videos, I hate using photo bucket and I'm too dumb or lazy to figure out how to post and link a video on youtube.

Here is this though, give a little insight as to how curious and interactive these guys are.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trimFDAB574A-C096-48DA-9155-18FB6E55E78B_zpsc698a261.mp4 (http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/trimFDAB574A-C096-48DA-9155-18FB6E55E78B_zpsc698a261.mp4)

Ambition
08/11/2014, 07:04 PM
How often are you feeding these guys now? They are looking really good!

caribfan
08/11/2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks Kyle.

4 to 5 times a day. LRS usually two to three times, NLS once, sometimes twice and PE mysis every now and then Soaked in selcon or vitachem.

caribfan
08/11/2014, 07:48 PM
Do you run a skimmer on your multibar tank? I have a deltec ap 600 on this tank. Perhaps the high oxygenation might be contributing to my success. I did not have that with the first three

HPark
08/11/2014, 07:49 PM
They look awesome! Congrats on the success. Almost pulled the trigger this weekend on 2-3 available at nya but decided to try to wait DD out.

caribfan
08/11/2014, 07:53 PM
Good decision in my opinion.

sc50964
08/11/2014, 07:58 PM
They look awesome! Congrats on the success. Almost pulled the trigger this weekend on 2-3 available at nya but decided to try to wait DD out.

Such a deal tho..., I almost bought one too, but the $90 shipping is just too much.

caribfan
08/11/2014, 08:10 PM
Not a deal with the success rate. They might be ok for other stuff, but not Venustus. Just one mans opinion though.

Ambition
08/11/2014, 08:15 PM
Do you run a skimmer on your multibar tank? I have a deltec ap 600 on this tank. Perhaps the high oxygenation might be contributing to my success. I did not have that with the first three

Still don't have the skimmer up for the 65g tank with the male, found out that a bolt was stripped and still haven't gotten around to getting one. The QT with the new one only has an HOB filter as of right now.

caribfan
08/11/2014, 08:20 PM
Might be worth it, if nothing else, it's a big fancy air stone.

Dmorty217
08/11/2014, 08:36 PM
Good to hear your Venustus are all doing well for you Matt. Anything different this time around you think other than the water changes twice a wk?

caribfan
08/11/2014, 08:44 PM
The addition of a hefty skimmer. I hate to say it, but I think the success of these fish is almost entirely related to just getting lucky and getting some great stock in.

Wish I could point to something else...

Dmorty217
08/12/2014, 04:56 AM
Healthy stock helps out tremendously. Were you not using a skimmer before or did you buy a bigger one?

caribfan
08/12/2014, 06:07 AM
Nope, no skimmer on the quarantine before. Around Christmas this past year I ordered a rainfordi and a dusky butterfly from DD/LA and was feeding a lot of clams, so I decided a skimmer was a must have.

caribfan
08/12/2014, 07:27 PM
Taking a trip on down to pellet town....

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trimDEC168A4-E346-4563-97F8-218B7C7708D7_zps4b351418.mp4 (http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/trimDEC168A4-E346-4563-97F8-218B7C7708D7_zps4b351418.mp4)

griseum
08/13/2014, 11:31 AM
Wow. They look Superb !!
What pellet are they eating for you? Mine loves NLS.

caribfan
08/13/2014, 12:50 PM
NLS, not tried any others. I'm truthfully not typically a pellet person, but I had some of these laying around and figured i'd give it a try.

I'll be excited when the cupramine treatment is over, 10 more days...

Then two rounds of prazi, maybe three and into the DT they go!

ca1ore
08/23/2014, 01:47 PM
My LFS had a Venustus for sale for $55; so of course I couldn't resist. It's was sort of eating in the store. Nice size too; around 2 1/2 inches.

caribfan
08/23/2014, 05:47 PM
Nice! Feed often, mine took right to the LRS foods. My little one was picky and only liked cyclopeeze for a while, but now eats mysis and LRS eagerly.

Cupramine treatment finished today, they handled 0.5 without any issue at all.

aquaph8
08/23/2014, 10:41 PM
Good deal Matt, glad they came through it oK. Mine just finished hypo and I'm slowly bringing the salinity up as we speak. He's eating well and as ready as he's gonna get to go into the DT after the salinity comes up and one more round of prazipro. He's in QT with a P. Attenuatus and P. Octotaenia, I'm so happy that all three did well with hypo.

caribfan
08/24/2014, 06:24 AM
Great news Brett. How many rounds of Prazi did you do? Did they handle that treatment well?

I typically dose, wait five days, do a WC, wait five days and then dose again, eventually doing three doses on that interval . Not sure if that's overkill or not. The bottle says to not dose more than every three days. I was considering shortening up my interval .

griseum
08/24/2014, 06:39 AM
Has the third treatment of Prazi shown to add any stress on fish in QT?? If not its a good thing! An (extra) ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, lol, as the saying goes...

I usually do just 2x treatments of 6-7 days, then water change, carbon and skimmer, and 72 hours later a second treatment of 6-7 days, after removing carbon, skimmer. If I need to do a WC in the middle of a treatment, I re-dose for the amount removed.

Glad to hear that they handled Cupramine!!! Thats super scary, as I've lost too many Dwarf angels to copper based meds.
If you dont mind sharing how slow the ramp up and the duration of the treatment was?
Thanks !

caribfan
08/24/2014, 12:23 PM
Has the third treatment of Prazi shown to add any stress on fish in QT?? If not its a good thing! An (extra) ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, lol, as the saying goes...

I usually do just 2x treatments of 6-7 days, then water change, carbon and skimmer, and 72 hours later a second treatment of 6-7 days, after removing carbon, skimmer. If I need to do a WC in the middle of a treatment, I re-dose for the amount removed.

Glad to hear that they handled Cupramine!!! Thats super scary, as I've lost too many Dwarf angels to copper based meds.
If you dont mind sharing how slow the ramp up and the duration of the treatment was?
Thanks !

I took eight days to get to effective concentration. I would dose half the recommended amount, and then wait 48 hours.

I will plan to do the three treatments of prazi, my understanding on the timing is more related to catching the flukes at the right point of their life cycle.

aquaph8
08/24/2014, 06:58 PM
Great news Brett. How many rounds of Prazi did you do? Did they handle that treatment well?

I typically dose, wait five days, do a WC, wait five days and then dose again, eventually doing three doses on that interval . Not sure if that's overkill or not. The bottle says to not dose more than every three days. I was considering shortening up my interval .

I normally do two rounds of prazi five days apart. These fish were treated once and handled it well, then I had to treat for ich and never got to do another round. I'll probably do two rounds before they go to the DT. I'm not in any hurry cause the little angel eats better and better everyday. He's eating pretty much everything now and competes with the two wrasses well but competing with my regal angel is gonna be a little harder for him.

griseum
08/25/2014, 06:50 AM
Matt- Thank you for sharing that with us! As for targetting the flukes lifecycle, I was under the impression that the second treatment after 3-4 dYs of clean water was to target any larvae that may have not been effectively eradicated during the first round?
The reading ive done has centered around flukes within the Phyla of Monogenea.
Another question, hopefully you dont mind! Do you mix your own praziquantel powder or do you use PraziPro?
Thanks!

caribfan
08/25/2014, 09:24 AM
Hey Gris,

Don't mind at all on the questions. I tried mixing my own praziquantel powder and found it nearly impossible to disolve. Water does nothing, I tried vodka, but that didn't really do a great job either, so now I just buy the Prazipro product.

Totally agree about getting the second batch of flukes, it's just the timing I'm not sure on.

Judging by my fishes reaction to the treatment, it seems to me that the medicines effects wear off after several days. The only fish that I have ever really see it affect is my Rainfordi butterfly. For the first two days, it swam around aimlessly and breathed heavily, but after the third day, it had returned to normal and started eating again.

My schedule is as follows:
Day 1, Treat at recommended dosage.
Day 5, 50% water change.
Day 10, Treat at recommended dosage.
Day 15, 50% water change.
Day 20, Treat at recommended dosage.
Day 25, Big water change, regain skimming.

This is for all my fish, not just necessarily the Venustus. I have yet to start this treatment on them as they just came out of cupramine, though I may start it tonight or tomorrow. I did a big WC on their system and put carbon on, so once the cupramine is gone I should be good to go.

The intervals have always been a big questions mark for me. I'd love to hear Ted or Newsmyrna comment on this as I think they are some of the resident Quarantine and diseases treatment experts.

caribfan
08/25/2014, 09:27 AM
Latest video, out of cupramine. I need to figure out how to use my decent video camera to get some quality footage.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trim99F16C1C-87C7-4D88-AAE0-3642DB0FA5F7_zps2831b0c6.mp4 (http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/trim99F16C1C-87C7-4D88-AAE0-3642DB0FA5F7_zps2831b0c6.mp4)

HPark
08/25/2014, 09:36 PM
Great video! Awesome to see three looking so healthy. Doesn't seem to be much aggression -- how much do they interact?

aquaph8
08/25/2014, 09:49 PM
Awesome video, eating like champs

caribfan
08/26/2014, 06:11 AM
Great video! Awesome to see three looking so healthy. Doesn't seem to be much aggression -- how much do they interact?

They definitely swim together, the the biggest of the three is without question the dominant one and I assume the male. The only signs of aggression I see are some occasional chasing, but it is never for long. The little one does have a frayed tail fin, but I think it's on the mend.

I'm really excited to get them into my 240 because it has a pair of radions on it that simulate dawn and dusk, which is when I assume spawning activity takes place.

Prazi starts today!

caribfan
08/26/2014, 06:12 AM
Awesome video, eating like champs

Thanks Brett! I'm pretty excited about them.

ca1ore
08/26/2014, 10:04 AM
Yeah they do look good. Maybe you said earlier, but they look to be about 1 1/2" in size? I ask because the one I got at my LFS (my first attempt at a Venustus) is quite large - probably almost 3" and I'm wondering whether a bit of size increases success or decreases it? It's also doing that aggression 'jerking motion' every time I approach the tank so am thinking maybe its actually an adult male.

caribfan
08/26/2014, 10:09 AM
The bigger two are between 2 and 3", the smaller one is 1.5 to 2". If it's eating, I'd say go for it.

ca1ore
08/27/2014, 06:57 AM
If it's eating, I'd say go for it.

It was; and I did :lol:

Funny fish though. Spends most of its time hidden in the rockwork, except when I stand in front of the tank looking in, then it comes out and twitches its fins at me. It is eating Mysis, not aggressively enough to be anywhere close to display-ready, but encouraging.

caribfan
08/27/2014, 07:25 AM
It was; and I did :lol:

Funny fish though. Spends most of its time hidden in the rockwork, except when I stand in front of the tank looking in, then it comes out and twitches its fins at me. It is eating Mysis, not aggressively enough to be anywhere close to display-ready, but encouraging.

If it's eating the battles pretty much won in my opinion. Congratulations on a cool little fish.

I love the swimming behavior of these guys, when they don't realize I'm around, they swim at all different angles, usually upside down picking stuff off the lids of my aquarium. If they see I'm there, they expect food and do that same twitchng thing yours does. They are really very interactive.

Put up a pic or video if you get a chance.

ca1ore
08/27/2014, 08:25 AM
Tried to take a photo yesterday .....

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r680/ca1ore/IMG_0869_zpsda272b1f.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/ca1ore/media/IMG_0869_zpsda272b1f.jpg.html)

..... this was the only one that didn't feature his tail end :)

Probably 2 1/2 inches long and residing in my invert QT for now (since my tank is pretty much full with coral, is a good use for the tank). If he shows any signs of disease, I'll move him to my HT, but this is probably the best place for him for the next few months. Showing a tiny bit of lympo along the top fin; though a small hole in the tail fin when I got him has already healed up.

o2manyfish
08/27/2014, 11:06 AM
I'm very curious to see how your fish interact when they get into the big tank. I have had Venustus several times over the years and always found them to be shy fish that enjoy staying in the rock work.

I have 2 of them now (don't want to use the term pair) One of them is always out and swimming all over the tank 80% of the time. The second one swims in open water as well, but not as frequently. When they get spooked the both dive into the rock work at the same opening on the far left side of the tank.

When they are both out, their is no chasing (aggressive) and no following. When I have had pairs of angels in the past that have paired they always seems to be playing follow the leader. But these 2 are very independent.

Not sure what that means if anything. Curious to see how your trio act though.

When do you plan to move them to the bigger tank.

Oh..... Congrats on their continued success!

Dave B

caribfan
08/27/2014, 06:30 PM
Hey Dave,

I can't wait to get them into the big tank either. They started their first round of prazi this morning, it has definitely affected their appetite. The bigger of the two still will eat pellets, but none of them seem interested in the frozen food...go figure.

There have been a number of occasions when i've come down to the quarantine tank and all three of them are in hiding. Once they realize i'm there though, they come out and beg for food.

I've never kept a true pair or harem of fish to compare these two, but they seem to swim as a group together.

Look for my build thread in the FOWLR section in the coming weeks. I'm probably 3 weeks out before adding any fish, though the tank is up and running. I may shorten the prazi treatment on these guys, I'm still not positive I love my dosing intervals.

ca1ore
08/28/2014, 09:17 PM
I'm really quite optimistic for the venustus I bought this past weekend. It is still hiding quite a bit, but takes mysis readily and spends most of its time picking at the rocks. So, for you chaps with more experience with these fish than I, can I ultimately put it into my large mixed reef display with its rather robust population of tangs and other dwarf angels? Or would I be better of adding it my smaller, wrasse tank? I'm thinking the latter, though I had to move all my clams into that tank as they were getting picked by the Flame a Potters.

caribfan
08/28/2014, 09:43 PM
Glad to hear it's doing well Calore!

My three are going into a tank with butterflies, a blue throat trigger, a black dog face puffer and an Achilles tang, just to name a few. They seem to compete for food with each other well, and that definitely wasn't the case when I first got them.

If you really prefer them in the tank with the tangs, I would get them eating really well and then try it.

Just a quick quarantine update, their appetites are returning after the initial supression from the Prazi. I think I'm going to change up my intervals and shorten the duration between treatments to 6 days instead of ten.

I want fish in my display tank and am growing impatient.

caribfan
09/06/2014, 02:19 PM
Quick Update:

Came through the second round of prazi decently, two of the three definitely have surpressed appetites. The biggest one, which always has eaten the best will only take pellets now...not interested in frozen.

The little one, which has never taken pellets, still won't and is only picking at the frozen now, as opposed to eating it well. I'm going to try cyclopeeze tonight, which is what the smallest one preferred for a long time and extend the interval between this last treatment and the third treatment.

I'm not concerned, it seems that every day out of prazi treatments, their appetites increase ever so slightly and that has still been the case with the second treatment, the supression was just moreso with the second treatment as opposed to the first.

ca1ore
09/06/2014, 09:00 PM
Matt, did you treat with prazipro because you suspected something or just as part of your normal QT routine? The venustus I got from my LFS is eating just about everything except pellets and I am thinking to just keep it in my observation tank for a few months and not actually treat for anything. Not sure if that is wise or not?

caribfan
09/06/2014, 09:47 PM
Hey Calore,

I treated with Prazi because it's part of my normal quarantine procedure.

I guess for you it would depend on whether you had followed a strict quarantine regime with all your other fish. If some had just been observed, as opposed to preventatively treated, your probably fine to do observation.

I'm glad to hear yours is feeding well. I added some cyclopeeze tonight and the little one went right after it. Interesting how all three prefer different foods.

ca1ore
09/06/2014, 10:18 PM
Well, I do follow a strict QT regimen but it does not include prophylactic treatment (except CP for all Tangs). Most fish just get 3 months of observation. I think I will do the same for my Venustus.

Thanks for clarifying for me,

caribfan
09/07/2014, 06:12 AM
Hey Simon, that should be fine.

It's just my experience, but I more or less assume that if a fish isn't treated with Cupramine, it has ich.

I'm paranoid, I know. These guys actually handled cupramine like a champ, FWIW.

ca1ore
09/07/2014, 08:38 AM
Nothing wrong with a little paranoia. What's the old saying, 'just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you' ...... and in this case 'they' are an army of ciliated protozoans.

griseum
09/07/2014, 09:56 AM
Hey Matt- Havent been on here in a week or so, really busy, but thanks for listing the Prazi regimen one page back for me. Appreciate it.

I can agree with the paranoia regarding ich and other disease. But I get that feeling regarding flukes more than Ich. I use cupramine or copperSafe/Power, but I've lost too many fish just to Copper that I prefer to observe before I use it. Then I use a super healthy diet, of many high quality foods, including lots of pellets and frozen mixes supplemented with any of the available HUFA, amino acid, vitamin, mineral etc food supplements.
Im quick to use PraziPro, even in the display, if I began to see flashing again, as it is invert and display friendly (for the most part.)

I also agree that with Venustus, and with all other fish as well, the source of the fish is crucial. I tend to avoid online purchases because I would rather observed the fish firsthand and make a judgement call after seeing it interact with other fish, eating, grazing behavior, and by having good relations with LFS owners, I know what they are running in the individual systems (Medication-wise)

Continued luck with the trio!

The only thing I might add, is that the initial hiding and shyness, with a tendency to avoid eating with competition and out of the water column had been broken in my QT. But once introduced into the Display, it occurred all over again.

caribfan
09/07/2014, 01:24 PM
Hey Gris, good to hear from you.

I have actually varied a bit from my prazi schedule as I was expecting some new arrivals and wanted to expedite things with the Venustus to free up some quarantine space. The new arrivals didn't end up being available.

I did one dose, waited 5 days, did a large water change and redosed on the same day, effectively completing two doses in 10 days. The bottle says not to dose more than every three.

At this point, their appetites are probably 80% back to normal and I am very seriously considering introducing these fish in my DT. I had intentions of doing three rounds of prazi, but there have been no signs of any disease, ich or fluke related, and with reaction to the prazi on the last round, I'm hesitant to start another treatment.

They have been in quarantine since 7/23, 46 days and counting.

caribfan
09/07/2014, 02:09 PM
All right, I decided to add to the DT. I've got a light week coming up and figured it was good timing.

I'll take a video tonight if they settle in well.

caribfan
09/07/2014, 06:52 PM
Terrible quality and funky lighting, but you can see how they kind of hang together. They seem to be happy with some live rock and caves to cruise.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trimAEE47473-53FA-4C64-8860-753C88268F4D_zps10af4444.mp4 (http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/trimAEE47473-53FA-4C64-8860-753C88268F4D_zps10af4444.mp4)

o2manyfish
09/08/2014, 01:11 AM
Awesome to see the 3 hanging out.

My two have been spending much more time together. I find them "paired" and hanging together in different areas of the tank. They don't sit still to often to see if there is any difference in finnage between them. And mine are similar sized so I can't tell them apart.

One is out and about the majority of the time, and the other just appears, they hang for a bit, and then the second one slide back into the rock work and the first one goes back to cruising the tank.

Dave B

caribfan
09/16/2014, 07:44 PM
Finally got this bunch moved into my Display Tank, the three Venustus and the Octofasciatus are the first fish to go into this tank.

I've been waiting almost a year and a half to get this tank up and running, from here on out, I will try to chronical these fish in my build thread. I'll post a link in this thread once that's been created.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trim9FA4082B-4CFB-47F0-A07D-6525150EDC17_zps74bb0849.mp4 (http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/trim9FA4082B-4CFB-47F0-A07D-6525150EDC17_zps74bb0849.mp4)

pktech
09/16/2014, 08:05 PM
Finally got this bunch moved into my Display Tank, the three Venustus and the Octofasciatus are the first fish to go into this tank.

I've been waiting almost a year and a half to get this tank up and running, from here on out, I will try to chronical these fish in my build thread. I'll post a link in this thread once that's been created.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trim9FA4082B-4CFB-47F0-A07D-6525150EDC17_zps74bb0849.mp4 (http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/caribfan/Mobile%20Uploads/trim9FA4082B-4CFB-47F0-A07D-6525150EDC17_zps74bb0849.mp4)

That's an awesome tank & a great choice of fish - the Octo is awesome! Looks healthy & confident. Keep updates comin'

caribfan
09/17/2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. The octo was actually looking a little thin to me so I have in increased my feedings. I was busy with work and had only been feeding twice a day. He's finally starting to go after pellets too, and the two bigger Venustus both eat pellets.

May be time for an auto feeder.

SteelMastiff
09/17/2014, 10:33 AM
Looking good, congrats on their move to the DT.

Toddrtrex
09/17/2014, 08:30 PM
Looking good, glad that they are in the DT now.

For my pair, the larger one didn't make it. It never really took to prepared foods. Moved them to my 75 in hopes that there would be more food for it to find on the rocks --- for a while there it looked like it was putting on some weight, but went out of town for a weekend and never saw it again.

The smaller one on the other hand is doing great, eats like a pig and is out as much as I would expect a Venustus to be out --- but always comes out to eat. Watching it right now swimming around picking at the rocks.

The 75 will be taken down in the next month or two, and this guy will be swimming in a new 210, which will be delivered in 8 days.

caribfan
09/18/2014, 02:45 PM
Hey Todd,

Sorry to hear about your bigger one.

I am enjoying these fish so much, I'm tempted to not add the rest of my fish to my 240. I'm going painfully slow as I have about 7 or 8 other fish to add to my tank still that are in my holding tanks.

Will you try another one to form a pair?

I would love to see spawning activity from my trio, I'm not completely sure what that looks like though.l

Toddrtrex
09/19/2014, 11:32 AM
Hey Todd,

Sorry to hear about your bigger one.

I am enjoying these fish so much, I'm tempted to not add the rest of my fish to my 240. I'm going painfully slow as I have about 7 or 8 other fish to add to my tank still that are in my holding tanks.

Will you try another one to form a pair?

I would love to see spawning activity from my trio, I'm not completely sure what that looks like though.l

Thanks, it was tough to come home to a solo fish.

Once the new 210 is up and running, I may try to find another one. Years ago I had a pair of Potter's that had just started to show nightly spawning behavior when I lost them (( main pump fail while in the hospital for emergency back surgery )). So, I would like to see that happen again.

caribfan
09/21/2014, 01:56 PM
For anybody interested in these fish, they are now being documented in this thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2444122&highlight=another+venustus