PDA

View Full Version : Eggs of some sort... Snail?

Lucky Lefty
07/23/2014, 04:32 PM
Came home from work just now, and upon looking for a turbo snail that disappeared in me this morning, I found these.

There is a small patch of what look like eggs on the rock, and then this string is dangling below with a whole bunch more, just swaying in the current.

I'm actually surprised the damsel hasn't eaten them yet.

I have turbos, ceriths, nerites, and margaritas in my tank at the moment. Couldn't find anything that showed eggs like this. Everything I've found had them on glass.

Any ideas, and if so, can I expect some babies soon, about how long?

Lucky Lefty
07/23/2014, 04:38 PM
One more shot

Lucky Lefty
07/23/2014, 04:46 PM
I'm leaning towards cerith snails.. Found one in close proximity, and they appear to resemble what I'm finding online the most under cerith egg photos.

Hopefully they hatch.. That would be awesome

zn00py
07/23/2014, 04:50 PM
Cerith snail eggs i believe

Whistl3r
07/23/2014, 05:50 PM
Those are indeed ceriths, they won't hatch and survive though. Stomatella is the only one I have been seen successfully breed in my tanks.

Lucky Lefty
07/23/2014, 08:01 PM
Those are indeed ceriths, they won't hatch and survive though. Stomatella is the only one I have been seen successfully breed in my tanks.

Just curious as to why they will not hatch/ survive? It's it due to nutrients or lack there of? Or will they just be eaten? Because if so, the only problem there would be the damsel fish, and if that's the case.. I'll get it out ASAP.

Been waiting for a good reason to get rid of it.

Crooked Reef
07/23/2014, 11:52 PM
Ceriths breed in my tank and survive.

Lucky Lefty
07/24/2014, 02:02 PM
Came home from work just now, found the cerith snail going to town in the same location, laying down a field of eggs in the crevices of the rock.

Didn't attempt to count, but she has had to of laid down about 50 right now, on top of what I found yesterday, and she's still going strong.

Just wondering, could this be a good sign that everything is going well in my tank? I was kind of thinking that it would be hard for inverts to spawn or lay eggs if your parameters were a little whacky.
The testing I've been doing tells me everything is good, but I only really test for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.. Hopefully this is a sign from my livestock that they are happy as clams... Or snails.

Thanks all!

Lucky Lefty
07/24/2014, 02:04 PM
Here's a photo just cause... The eggs discovered yesterday are near the top right of the photo, and you can see the cerith near the bottom right of the photo pumping out eggs on the rock.

rock_on
07/24/2014, 02:39 PM
My snails have been doing this as well. My fish usually eat them up.