PDA

View Full Version : female clown destroying male

0rangeFish
07/23/2014, 08:20 PM
I have two sebae clowns. They've been in the same tank together for 4-5 months. One is clearly larger and the female. They were perfectly fine until today. The female is beating up the male so badly and I have no clue why. The male is not fighting back and being submissive, but every time he swim any where she attacks him. The poor guy is in the top corner of the tank pressed against the top on the water turned sideways. If he as much moves from there he's attacked, even when he's up in his corner she attacks. I would love to take one of them out of the tank, but I don't have an extra tank to put one in.

They are currently in a 20 gallon with two banggi cardinal. Usually they're all in a 46 gallon, but are being treated for marine ich, so thats where my spare tank went. They've been in there for 4 weeks as of today.

Why is the female being so mean all the sudden?

Bernie21
07/23/2014, 08:41 PM
i've never had seabae clowns, but I know clowns get extra aggressive when crowded. did the abuse start in the 46g or after the move to the 20g quarantine tank.

0rangeFish
07/23/2014, 09:58 PM
It started in the 20 gallon, but they've been in there for four weeks already, why would it suddenly start now?

Winwood
07/23/2014, 10:14 PM
It can happen. I would recommend a clear perforated container and place one of them in there. This allows them to still see one another, but not do damage while they try and re-establish their pair bond.

Sugar Magnolia
07/24/2014, 05:22 AM
Yes, you can use an in tank breeder box. Put the female in the breeder box so the male can recover.

0rangeFish
07/25/2014, 01:23 PM
Alright I put the female in a box in the tank. How long should she stay in there?

Sugar Magnolia
07/25/2014, 02:00 PM
A week or two at least.