PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Blenny!

JoeVandal49
07/24/2014, 02:52 PM
So while my tank goes through its fallow period, i find my self thinking about what i want for live stock for the future.

I love Blennys. I was wondering what every ones favorite Blenny is? Why?

Also share experiences where you kept more than one type of blenny housed together. What size tank? Was it successful or not?

Also would love to hear about experiences with keeping bonded pairs.

Overall just share experiences, good or bad, and all things blenny!

Moort82
07/24/2014, 02:58 PM
My favourite is either a Starry, Midas or Tailspot. Hard to narrow it down but I'd love a small tank with a couple of comical blennies.

Deinonych
07/24/2014, 02:59 PM
+1 on Tailspot and Midas. Bicolors are my absolute favorite - tons of personality.

JoeVandal49
07/24/2014, 03:23 PM
I have only had a tailspot. It was my absolute favorite fish thus far.

I would live to get a pair, but i hear they are hard to sex.

Anyways thus far, i am leaning to going extremely simple with my stock list in my 55g.

At this point i would be happy with a single pair of blennies. I think a pair of blennies without other fish to disrupt their behaviors would be extremely amusing.

Im nore interested in inverts and corals as is, but i think a simple pair of blennies would be a great addition of character and amusement.

Mr tap water
07/24/2014, 03:34 PM
This is my cheeky chappy has tons of character285383

Lauracooks
07/24/2014, 03:49 PM
I have a ladder goby that gets along with everyone and sifts the sand. cool to watch

jco1856
07/24/2014, 05:24 PM
Loving my Midas blenny. Tons of personality

Mark426
07/24/2014, 05:48 PM
I have had two Tail Spots and loved them. The first one lived for almost five years as a model citizen before he passed away. He slowly quit eating and whithered away...think it might have just been the end of its lifespan. The second one I had for a month or so before he began constantly grazing on my SPS...he had to be given to a LFS. Too bad they are one of my favorite fish. I love the recently released ORA Red Sea Mimic blenny but I have decided that ANY of the comb-toothed blennies are not reef safe for the most part, so wont be getting one. :sad2:

EDIT: More than one Blenny....99% chance it wont work unless you have a fairly large tank.

johnike
07/24/2014, 05:54 PM
My favourite is either a Starry, Midas or Tailspot. Hard to narrow it down but I'd love a small tank with a couple of comical blennies.

Bingo.
I've had all three together before, a wonderful circus of Blenny.
Still have the Starry, just a great fish.

johnike
07/24/2014, 05:56 PM
And the Blue Midas' that have been showing up as of late are just beautiful.

ReeferBill
07/24/2014, 06:01 PM
I have had a midas a bicolor and tailspot but at different times..in my 46 bow but I am now leaning toward the tailspot because of size and temperment. I now have a yellow clown goby a green and red striped clown goby a neon goby and a twinspot sand sifting goby.

Betta132
07/25/2014, 12:47 AM
I had a rhino blenny for a while. He was awesome, all greeny and sort of leafy looking.
He eventually killed himself when he was startled by the cat. He raced around the tank a couple of times and then dived for a hole, but somehow managed to impale himself on a waspfish's 1/2" spines. I would not suggest that you keep blennies with longspine urchins or similar.

Fish Biscuit
07/25/2014, 10:01 AM
I had a tailspot blenny & loved it, great little fish. Used to sit on the mag float & watch me work, kissed the glass at me. One time he swam down quickly & bopped the randall on the head & took off before the goby knew what hit him lol.

I'm on the fence right now about another tailspot or a trio of barnacle blennies. It's turning out to be a really tough decision.

GoldeneyeRet
07/25/2014, 11:38 PM
Im interested in hearing more responses as I am planning out my stock list right now, and I have little experience with blennies. They sure are cute!

o2manyfish
07/25/2014, 11:45 PM
I currently have (2) lawnmower, (3) Tailspot, (1) Bi Color, and 1 or 2 Barnacle Blennies. They are great little fish, lots of activity. Watching the tailspot and bicolor swim backwards into their little holes is always entertaining.

Dave B

KEVENO
07/26/2014, 01:11 AM
I've had two tailspots and they both had great personality - far from shy and their comical faces make them my fave

rEeFnWrX
07/26/2014, 01:42 AM
Have had midas, lawnmower and starry blenny. All 3 had great personalities and were great additions except for the starry.... Bastards are aggressive... was the boss of the tank. Put my 4.5" hippo tang in the corner... killed my female clown and 5" diamond gobby.

After reading up on them it turns out the starry blenny is known for being aggressive.

The lawnmower was my favorite... great personality, active and peaceful. Same with the midas but midas' don't perch which was my favorite thing about the lawnmower/starry.

ramon1181
07/26/2014, 01:59 AM
I have a bicolour amazing chracter

sdbc
07/26/2014, 10:10 AM
My starry blenny gets along great with my blue tang, royal gramma and purple firefish. No aggression ever. My flame angel ignored him too while it was in there. The wild thing is their chameleon ability to change color. I've seen him all white, totally black and with various amounts of spots. Very hardy too. I had to tear down my tank for a few days while I moved it. Thought I had lost him, but apparently he just hid in the rock when I pulled it out. After setting my tank back up, he came swimming out later that day! Love that fish.

CoralsAddiction
07/26/2014, 11:59 AM
I like the dusky yellow streak blenny. Awesome fish. LFS has 2 that eat pellets and I might get one.

CaliReefCraze
07/26/2014, 11:03 PM
I picked up a Scooter Blenny about 8 months ago and have had no problems. It's been a great addition to my tank.

gREEF stricken
07/27/2014, 01:13 AM
Have had midas, lawnmower and starry blenny. All 3 had great personalities and were great additions except for the starry.... Bastards are aggressive... was the boss of the tank. Put my 4.5" hippo tang in the corner... killed my female clown and 5" diamond gobby.

After reading up on them it turns out the starry blenny is known for being aggressive.

The lawnmower was my favorite... great personality, active and peaceful. Same with the midas but midas' don't perch which was my favorite thing about the lawnmower/starry.

My wife has a LMB, named "Nibbler"...he is just a fantastic fish to watch and his camouflage is amazing.

GS

hubbard42
07/27/2014, 11:35 AM
I have three in my 110 tall. I have a midas, a bicolor and a scooter. Added the midas last, took a couple of weeks for them not fight.

carmelpi
07/27/2014, 12:13 PM
I have a lawnmower who is about 5" long named Grandpa Nommers. He is hard to spit, especially with our other large showy fish, but when he IS, his awesome personality makes him everyone's favorite fish.

GoldeneyeRet
07/27/2014, 02:32 PM
I'm on the fence right now about another tailspot or a trio of barnacle blennies. It's turning out to be a really tough decision.

Any advice on which to get between these? would a trio of barnacle blennies be able to be kept with a tailspot?

supertony
07/27/2014, 07:56 PM
Love my little scooter blenny. Also thinking about a midas. They're so entertaining!

J2T
07/27/2014, 08:00 PM
FYI, scooter blenny's are not blenny's but rather are dragonets.

I'm a big fan of blennies, have a starry in my 75g and a bicolor in a 20g. Very entertaining fish and both are model citizens other than my starry going after my red serpent star for some reason.

Fish Biscuit
07/28/2014, 03:30 PM
Any advice on which to get between these? would a trio of barnacle blennies be able to be kept with a tailspot?

Depends on the size of your tank, I have a 40 B so it's one or the other for me.

Miz40B
07/28/2014, 04:00 PM
I have a Bi-Color Blenny. Love his face! Very active. Blenny's are just very cool fish :)

SDguy
07/28/2014, 06:09 PM
I love blennies, but don't keep any of the rock huggers (I love midas blennies though), due to their bad eating manners (ie corals) and/or tempers... I put up with a lot from some fish, but like dating, "personality" only gets you so far :D

Wings6010
07/28/2014, 06:59 PM
I have a midas blenny one of the biggest characters in my tank! He loves schooling with my bartlett anthias lol

Mcgeezer
07/29/2014, 05:11 PM
My starry blenny is awesome. He eats anything I give him and has a colorful dsposition. Definitely one of my favorite fish.

johnike
07/29/2014, 05:17 PM
I just asked my Starry if he'd mind if I added a Midas and Tailspot again.

He said it was fine with him.