PDA

View Full Version : Cheatomorpha macro not growing

Scuba Sleeve
07/24/2014, 10:14 PM
Hi I'm new to reef central but hoping for some help. I bought a handful of chaeto from my LFS for my 20 gallon refugium about a month ago. I rubber banded it to a piece of live rock. I was told this stuff grows fast but mine doesn't seem to be. It looks healthy but not growing much at all. I've had it for several weeks with very minimal growth. I've got a 6500k 100 watt CPFL light bulb lighting the macro about 12 hours a day. Any thoughts/suggestions? Should I even be concerned?

90 gallon FOWLR tank setup 100 lbs. live rock. 20 gallon refugium with miracle mud.

Titans_Reef
07/24/2014, 10:19 PM
How much flow do you have in your 20g refugium? Cheato perfer higher flow but will still grow in low flow but slower. What I do to mine is I pull it apart so the light can reach the middle of it. I also let it go free around the fuge and not tie it up to a rock. Ive trimmed mine down from 5x the original size in a month and just give it to my LFS for credit. If you have low phosphates and nitrates then the cheato will also grow slow but still grow.

apexkeeper
07/24/2014, 10:19 PM
As long as its not turning white (ie dying) I wouldn't worry too much, mine took a while to really start growing like crazy and now it still grows in spurts. One thing I noticed in my limited experience though, it seems to grow ALOT better when its not attached to anything and left free to tumble. You could also try 24 hour lighting if you don't have any critters in your sump.

Scuba Sleeve
07/24/2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've rubber banded it hoping it will prevent it from coming loose and flowing from my sump up into my DT. Its a hassle netting that stuff out if it does. The flow is pretty good with 0 phosphates and nitrates are 20 ppm. Its not turning white and have tons of tunicates spreading in there and many copepods and amphipods.

Heathcoot
07/24/2014, 10:51 PM
Also if to new of system and keeping up with water changes you won't have the growth because the lack of nutrients in you system in the form of phosphate and nitrates most if not all types of plant life uses those two in conjunction to grow and being a type of macro algea it will use the two nutrients efficiently keeping most undesired algea from growing in the main display.

overskim
07/24/2014, 11:09 PM
You will probably need to add an iron supplement to get the fastest growth. Chaetomorpha will grow very fast.

thegrun
07/25/2014, 08:05 AM
It will grow much faster if it is near the water surface, so if you have it low in the tank try to raise it up.

ca1ore
07/25/2014, 08:10 AM
I've had issues with Cheato growth in the past. What worked for me was to change the lighting to a more yellow color temperature (5000K), make sure the macro is at the surface and can tumble if need be, and dose (carefully) with an iron supplement. Other than alk, cal, and mag; iron is the only trace element I does.

Neptune 555
07/25/2014, 08:33 AM
I have Cheato in a 10 gallon tank growing pods w/ a light on it. I want to add it to my sump from my 75 gallon tank so that I can add a Mandarin in 6 - 12 months... My question is this... How do you place it in your sump? I have two sections in my sump.. 2/3 is where my skimmer and heater are located. Then a tiny divider where the water flows and my return pump. If I add it to where my skimmer heater is located will it clog my pumps? Photos would definitely help!!

thank you!!
Neptune

Titans_Reef
07/25/2014, 08:47 AM
Hey Neptune,
You can make a box to surround your skimmer out of egg crate if your worried about that. A 2x4' of egg crate was $14 at homedepot. Just leave enough room so if the cheato gets to the box, the skimmer doesnt suck in a strand. The egg crate will still give you unrestricted flow through it. Its what im going to do with my 40g breeders sump so I dont have to worry about it either. Just use zip ties to tie it all up.

swk
07/25/2014, 09:05 AM
I've never been able to keep that stuff going either. I do have very low nutrients so that doesn't help either. However, I can grow dragons breath like gangbusters and my caulerpa is kicking butt as well. But for some reason, chaeto just wastes away on me. Maybe try a different macro next time

Neptune 555
07/25/2014, 09:29 AM
Titans Reef - Can you send a photo? Please!!

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/25/2014, 10:27 AM
and my caulerpa is kicking butt as well. But for some reason, chaeto just wastes away on me.

Many people, myself included, have found that Caulerpa racemosa (and maybe other caulerpa species) is better at scavenging nutrients than is Chatomorpha, and so the chaeto ends up losing the competition and dies out while the caulerpa thrives. :)

swk
07/25/2014, 11:38 AM
and my caulerpa is kicking butt as well. But for some reason, chaeto just wastes away on me.

Many people, myself included, have found that Caulerpa racemosa (and maybe other caulerpa species) is better at scavenging nutrients than is Chatomorpha, and so the chaeto ends up losing the competition and dies out while the caulerpa thrives. :)

That's right in line with my experience. This even occurred when chaeto was the sole macro in my system as well.

The caulerpa I'm currently using is prolifica

Titans_Reef
07/26/2014, 02:38 PM
Hey Neptune_555,
I have not made one since my 40g is still cycling. Its going to be basically an enclosure for the skimmer with space around it about 2". That way the cheato cant get too near the pump. Once it is fully cycled and I get a refugium light I can show you what I mean.

Neptune 555
08/12/2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks titans reef any photos yet?

My sump is too small... as is my tank. I am starting with a this used set up.. and will upgrade in a year or two? Here is what I am trying.. I have a 10 gallon tank with LED lights / rocks going gangbusters with pods and chaeto. I am taking the chaeto from this tank and putting it in my sump. I decided to use screen netting and ball up the chaeto and just drop it in my sump. I have purchased another LED light and I am keeping lights on it 24/7 to grow and populate my tank w/ pods. Until this is working awesome.. I will keep my hospital tank full of chaeto and running... I think the netting will stop my chaeto getting into my sump.. and will allow it to grow.

Will share if this works.. Netting was very cheap.. not sure if this is better or worse then egg crate? One bonus is that it is more free form as my space is VERY tight.

Neptune