PDA

View Full Version : Help with C.U.C.

StartrTank
07/28/2014, 09:44 AM
How do I determine the size of the clean up crew I need? Is it based on the size of the tank? The amount of fish and coral I plan on keeping?

Also, I've read several posts where people advise against crabs in the tank.... doesn this go for all crabs? I see many Clean Up Crew packages which include at least one type of crab (like the Sally Lightfoot Crab or the Emerald Crab). Should I just stay away from these packs and just select my own crew? Snails, hermit crabs, shrimp... anything else that is a good cleaner? And again, how do I know how many I should get?

fishhuman
07/28/2014, 09:52 AM
What size tank do you have? I would suggest starting low on the CUC and adding more members if you need them. Stay away from all crabs besides hermits because they have been known to eat fish

StartrTank
07/28/2014, 10:04 AM
Okay, that's what I figured but wanted to ask to be sure. I have a 55g hexagon tank w/ 20g sump. I have somewhere around 50-60 lbs of LR in the DT and another 5-10 lbs in my sump (fuge).

So this is what I was thinking to start, what are your thoughts....?

1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Banded Coral Shrimp
2 Electric Blue Hermit Crabs
@10 Turbo Grazer Snails

Also, how about a feather duster?

GMay
07/28/2014, 10:52 AM
I would check reefcleaners.org. They hav some good information and have excellent product.

I got a CUC from them and got more than I expected.

Xavibear
07/28/2014, 12:18 PM
Okay, that's what I figured but wanted to ask to be sure. I have a 55g hexagon tank w/ 20g sump. I have somewhere around 50-60 lbs of LR in the DT and another 5-10 lbs in my sump (fuge).

So this is what I was thinking to start, what are your thoughts....?

1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Banded Coral Shrimp
2 Electric Blue Hermit Crabs
@10 Turbo Grazer Snails

Also, how about a feather duster?

The coral banded shrimp can eat fish & the hermit crabs will eat your snails. Imo a variety snails is the best way to start with your cleanup crew. Nassarius, cerith & trochus snails are my favorites. From there things can be added as needed.

Even though they are filter feeders I've never considered a feather duster part of a clean up crew. I've always though of them as being ornamental.

Spyderturbo007
07/28/2014, 12:39 PM
10 Turbo Snails is going to be way too much. I used to have 2 and then one died from lack of food. The other is the size of a Volkswagon and I couldn't imagine how it would be with 10 of them in there. :)

I would get 1 turbo, some Nassarious & Cerith snails.

StartrTank
07/28/2014, 12:50 PM
Okay, thank you. That's what I wasn't sure on, how big a crew I needed. So my LR came with 3 decent size turbo snails, all are doing well. Think I could add a peppermint shrimp and call it a day? I guess I could always add more if I needed them.

Xavibear
07/28/2014, 12:56 PM
Add more snails, nassarius & cerith.

StartrTank
07/28/2014, 01:06 PM
Will do, thank you! Sorry if these questions seem like they should be common sense. There is still a ton I need to learn; although I have to say, I rather enjoy learning it all.