PDA

View Full Version : Herbie question.

izzyish
07/28/2014, 11:32 AM
I bought a 120 gallon tank that is reef ready with two corner overflow boxes. Do you guys think it would cause a problem if in one overflow box I have the siphon drain and a return and in the other overflow box I have the emergency drain and another return? Of course I would raise the weir in the overflow box with the emergency drain so no water would get in.

I bring up this question because I'm worried that with only one return the flow would be too little. I'll be running an Eheim 1262 for the return pump. Am I overthinking this?

Expect the dumb questions coming from this noob! TIA!

cjm5283
07/28/2014, 01:54 PM
I don't think you are overthinking it. Better to ask questions. I spent so much time going over my plumbing when I first started. In the end though I do laugh at how worried I was and isn't a very complex thing. To answer your question, there is no issue in setting it up that way. Its the way I would do it IMO.

izzyish
07/28/2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks for replying. I'm going through the same worries you had. Closest to plumbing that I've ever done is hooking up a hose to a water spicket. I just want everything to be right and I know I'm going to be beating myself up over the mistakes I make. Lucky for me there's a forum where you can ask questions.

I'll go ahead and treat my overflow boxes this route. Hopefully it's silent enough! Thanks again.

S13<3
07/28/2014, 02:33 PM
the secondary drain is only to be used when the siphon is starting and in emergencies. by putting it in a separate overflow its just not gonna work correctly IMO. if you put the secondary drain in the other overflow(high like you said), the water going into that overflow has no where to go and will be stagnant, and/or overflow back into the aquarium