PDA

View Full Version : Scared to Death Here!

raidedxelite
07/28/2014, 12:45 PM
So my tank is up and running and I have begun stock it but honestly im scared! lol

I want to make sure everything is well fed and I feel like I have multiple things that everything eats and wont eat and is this normal?

Hermit crabs and my goby love the pellets I put in
Snails, emerald crab only eat the Dry Seaweed
Clowns eat the Mysis

Is this too much different stuff to be feeding at once?

I guess my question is, is this normal? lol they are all a bit picky but they eat when I throw in what they like???/

ajespo85
07/28/2014, 12:49 PM
I have hermits, gobies, snails, emeralds, everything you have. all eats and loves mysis. that's all I feed my tank. Over feeding can be dangerous. IMO just feed them Mysis for 2 weeks, see who wont touch it, and who will.

raidedxelite
07/28/2014, 01:05 PM
hmm ill have to try it... How often do you feed them Mysis? And how much for all of them? 1 cube or?

anyone else have an issue with this?

Macimage
07/28/2014, 08:20 PM
I feed a mix of different foods.

ViktorVaughn
07/28/2014, 10:10 PM
I feed my tank a pinch of flake and pellet food in the morning with about a 1/4-1/3 a cube of PE mysis and Marine Cuisine mixed together at night. The amount of frozen you are going to use will really depend on how many fish you have. A pack of PE mysis and San Francisco Bay Marine Cuisine lasts me quite a long time while I read a thread in the large tank section the other day that went through something like an entire pack per feeding. As far as picky eaters go, all the fish in my tank with the exception of a Bangaii Cardinal eat anything I put in there. The Cardinal is the longest fish I have had and he has refused to eat anything other than the PE mysis the entire time. He doesn't even attempt to go after any dry food and will spit out all SF Marine Cuisine he accidentally gets in his mouth.

I have a pretty large clean up crew and never have put any food in the tank with the intention of them getting any or trying to find what they like. In my experience, hermits, snails, and other CUC members are not picky at all and most will subsist on algae and other tank crud.

skizzard22
07/28/2014, 10:10 PM
I have a decent clean up crew and well stocked tank with mixed corals. I feed frozen cubes of mixed meaty foods. I thaw and feed twice a day. I also feed seaweed 2 or 3 three times a week for my Angel and Tang. Focus on feeding your fish enough between leftovers and fish waste your clean up crew will have plenty to eat. I have never been a big fan of pellets. But I know people have success with them. You could do LIGHT feedings twice a day with one type of food in the AM and one in the PM.

Fallling
07/28/2014, 10:45 PM
As others have mentioned, focus on meeting the needs of the fish. There's nothing wrong with feeding a variety of foods as long as most the food is getting consumed by the fish... the CUC is there to clean up. Between fish and nps corals, I feed very heavily myself. If you are concerned, test often and keep an eye on nitrate and phosphate. Testing 2x a week for a few weeks will help get a good understanding of your tank's balance when starting out. I know that sounds like a lot, but it'll be easier to bring nitrate and phosphate back into acceptable range if you catch a problematic trend early on.

raidedxelite
07/29/2014, 01:04 PM
tru thanks!

my clows are spitting out the pellets and swim up to the Mysis.

has anyone else had issues with their clowns not eating>?