PDA

View Full Version : Ecotech Radion or ATI Sirius LED Fixture?

Patrick Cox
07/28/2014, 02:28 PM
I am looking at trading my ATI T5 Sunpower fixture for a new LED fixture. I am down to either two Ecotech Radions or the new ATI Sirius X4. My tank is 36x24x20, 75 Gallons, mixed reef with a leaning towards SPS.

I like the simplicity of the ATI (one fixture, very clean looking) and I have confidence in the ATI brand.

And then on the Ecotechs, they have been making LEDs longer and it seems that they have a fuller spectrum but not sure about this. Also, the programmability seems better on the Ecotechs. However I don't like the fact that I will need a rail system to hang more than one unit and then I would also need two power supplies so this seems like a more cluttered solution.

So, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

vpaul79
07/28/2014, 04:19 PM
ATI gets my vote, they minimize disco and shadowing by using inward reflection rather than downward spread that lenses create with the radion.

steveo9043
07/28/2014, 04:26 PM
are you looking to get out of t5's because of power usage and bulb replacement? or just want to go the LED route? I have been wanting an ATI powermodule led fixture and with the prices you are talking I would do the led powermodule.

if you want to do LED's i would said ATI still gets my vote

slief
07/28/2014, 05:40 PM
Ecotech without a doubt. Their LED's are proven and their software makes setup and taking advantage of the features much easier. Their fixtures are also backed by some of the best support in the industry. The ATI looks to be a nice product but in the end, Radion Pro's are proven. The jury is still out on the ATI's.

Patrick Cox
07/28/2014, 06:04 PM
are you looking to get out of t5's because of power usage and bulb replacement? or just want to go the LED route? I have been wanting an ATI powermodule led fixture and with the prices you are talking I would do the led powermodule.

if you want to do LED's i would said ATI still gets my vote

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Just to expand a bit on my situation, I started out two years ago with the ATI T5 fixture because I felt like LEDs were still new and T5's were proven. The one thing I missed on this light early on was the blue LED moonlights so I ended up buying a Build My LED 36" Actinic strip to run in the mornings and evenings before my T5 fixture comes on. And really, that is one of my favorite times to view the tank. However, I have too much of a mess now over/around my tank with the two fixtures, extra wires, extra power supply... So, I am looking to consolidate down to one fixture with LED. I should probably not rule out the the LED Powermodule but when I looked at the cost I thought the ATI LED made most sense. I mean the fixture is about $300 less and no more bulbs to buy. But I will think about it further. Thanks again for your reply.

Patrick Cox
07/28/2014, 06:05 PM
Ecotech without a doubt. Their LED's are proven and their software makes setup and taking advantage of the features much easier. Their fixtures are also backed by some of the best support in the industry. The ATI looks to be a nice product but in the end, Radion Pro's are proven. The jury is still out on the ATI's.

You know, I had the same thought that Ecotech was a proven LED supplier but on the other hand, I have a lot of confidence in ATI in general and that makes me less worried about their late entry into LED. But your point is certainly something to consider. Thanks.

usingthejohn
07/28/2014, 06:10 PM
How big is your tank? What I did was buy 3 radions and the supplement with 2 t5s.

madean
07/28/2014, 06:12 PM
Both companies have a reputation in the industry but my advice would be to find a place that already has the fixture up and running so that you can "see" what an led lit tank looks like. I was hell bent on radions or kessils. At the time they were not as technologically advanced as they are now. I really didn't like the look the radion had and the kessil had crazy shimmer. Probably too much shimmer for my liking. Everyone will see color a little differently. I have to say that profilux, I think that's the company, made a pretty darn good led fixture. To me LEDs bugged me with the color seperation or disco effect. Some people see it and some don't. It bothers some and others not so much. But best advice is to see the fixture in action before purchasing. That could save you a lot of headache in the future. I ended up scrapping the led idea and kept with the t5 dimmable sunpower. Maybe I will look at LEDs again later but happy with t5's.

Patrick Cox
07/28/2014, 06:20 PM
How big is your tank? What I did was buy 3 radions and the supplement with 2 t5s.

36" x 24" x 20". I am trying to eliminate clutter around my tank so I want just one fixture. Thanks though.

Both companies have a reputation in the industry but my advice would be to find a place that already has the fixture up and running so that you can "see" what an led lit tank looks like. I was hell bent on radions or kessils. At the time they were not as technologically advanced as they are now. I really didn't like the look the radion had and the kessil had crazy shimmer. Probably too much shimmer for my liking. Everyone will see color a little differently. I have to say that profilux, I think that's the company, made a pretty darn good led fixture. To me LEDs bugged me with the color seperation or disco effect. Some people see it and some don't. It bothers some and others not so much. But best advice is to see the fixture in action before purchasing. That could save you a lot of headache in the future. I ended up scrapping the led idea and kept with the t5 dimmable sunpower. Maybe I will look at LEDs again later but happy with t5's.

I agree with your thoughts but I can say for sure that I will not find one of the ATI fixtures near me. Your's and other comments though are making me re-consider the LED Powermodule. More reading to do! Thanks.

madean
07/28/2014, 06:30 PM
Atleast with the powermodule you can play with the settings for both the t5's and LEDs if memory serves me right. I was hoping to integrate my apex with the powermodule but that wasn't an option at the time and I already purchased the dimmable sunpower. But please try and see the fixture in action first. This is a sizable purchase and I would hate to see you regret it.

vpaul79
07/28/2014, 06:40 PM
Ecotech is a good light, but all they've done over 3 generations is add more LEDs to the point you can't run them at full strength, or else burn your corals. That isn't much for innovation. ATI on the other hand took known problems with LEDs and innovated their way past these issues. I'm looking for the company that's designs a better light, not a more powerful light.

slief
07/28/2014, 09:07 PM
Ecotech is a good light, but all they've done over 3 generations is add more LEDs to the point you can't run them at full strength, or else burn your corals. That isn't much for innovation. ATI on the other hand took known problems with LEDs and innovated their way past these issues. I'm looking for the company that's designs a better light, not a more powerful light.

This is no knock on ATI and even with ATI, you will absolutely need to dial them back or risk burning your coral. Their approach is really no different as far as LED go that EcoTech or AI or most any other. ATI uses closely spaced clusters and happens to use a different and less flexible optic but they are still doing nearly the same thing as far as density and type of LED's. Watt for watt, they cost more and don't appear to be externally controllable via an Apex or other controller.

Your comment about Ecotech simply adding more LED's with each generation isn't exactly correct. They have been adding different spectrums that are both useful for corals and also helpful in bringing out different colors in different corals. They have been doing the same thing that pretty much every other reputable LED manufacturer has been doing since the start of the LED trend.

I will also note that if you are running your LED at full power, then either your fixture is underpowered for your tank forcing you to run it that way to eek every bit of par out of you can, or your fixture is too high above the water or you're just happen to have a low powered fixture or one that you have no control over. A more powerful fixture and the ability and necessity to control power to the different LED channels provides you more flexibility in mounting height as well as aquarium depth along with the ability to dial in the color spectrum of your liking. What works for you tank, won't necessarily work for mine of the next guys.

Some people may prefer the look of 15K or even 10K lighting while others may prefer 20K lighting. Having the extra power from the LED arrays and the ability to control each color is the only way to dial in your color preference while also not sacrificing PAR levels.

zombot
07/28/2014, 09:40 PM
I've been looking at the ATI Sirus 4 module as well. Currently deciding between that, the Geisman Futura S and the Orphek Atlantik v2.

I've seen the Sirus fixture in person and it's winning in my book. I wish the fixture was a bit thinner and came in white but that's some what secondary..

The Orphek V2 were great as well and had no noticable disco effect or colour banding given that it has spread out LEDS.

A bit disappointing, the Futura had a little disco effect but the fixture is by far the sleekest looking out of the 3.

In terms of Radions, they're great fixtures and control is awesome but there's been no leap in the way of spectrum aside from adding more LEDS and sleeker housing.

tofucube
07/29/2014, 02:41 AM
If the ATI Sirius LED fixture is anything like the T5 fixtures they make then ATI has got my vote too.

EcoTech Marine
07/29/2014, 08:16 AM

In terms of Radions, they're great fixtures and control is awesome but there's been no leap in the way of spectrum aside from adding more LEDS and sleeker housing.

I disagree with this, especially in comparison to the other products that have been mentioned in your posts.

The Radion LED light has been an industry leader in terms of developing useful spectra to grow coral within reef aquaria using LED lighting.

We were the first LED manufacturer to introduce full spectrum (red, green, blue, royal blue, cool white) LED's to the mass market with our first generation Radion XR30w. This color combination was immediately duplicated by other OEM's across the global market place.

One year later, we introduced the G2 and lowered the price while increasing the performance of our first gen fixture, as well as introduced a new fixture (our first Pro model) which incorporated the most violet light of any LED lighting on the market at that time. We also introduced the world's first cloud-based aquarium control platform in the form of EcoSmart Live.

A year later from the G2 release, we introduced the G3, lowered the price yet again and offered still more power AND features through added development into EcoSmart Live.

All of these improvements have been backward compatible to people who invested in our technology whether you were the first customer to buy a Radion LED light or the latest customer.

When you're spending this kind of money on LED lighting, it makes sense to chose a solution that is tried and true, constantly evolving, backwards compatible, backed by industry leading customer support, and made right here at home in the US.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/Clarence6988/image.jpeg

Describing EcoTech Marine lighting as not being innovative in the way of spectrum is a bit inaccurate. Check the LED's included in the lights you've suggested. They're either nearly identical copies of the spectra we developed years ago or not even close. See for yourself, we're in this for the long haul and we plan to continue as an industry leader for those who support us.

ArmanS
07/29/2014, 08:24 AM
I've had numerous Ecotech and ATI products. Both are some of the best companies in the hobby and make quality products. With that said, I would first choose the ATI Powermodule T5+LED as my first choice for lights. If you wanted all LED, even though I've had 3 ATI Fixtures, I would say go with the Radion. They are made in USA and have excellent customer support and forums that will make any issue should their be any much easier to solve.

Big E
07/30/2014, 07:02 AM
EcoTech.

Why have you been posting in LED threads pimping and defending your product? It should be able to stand alone on it's own performance.

I don't see your unit as anything special with regards to keeping SPS, especially acropora.

----------------------

To the OP............the new LED unit by ATI has no track record or performance to review as it's very new. I'd wait for more info.

The ATI hybrid has taken years of success with their ATI T5 units and added some LEDs for shimmer and supplementation. The early reviews have been very good for SPS.
The control offered is unmatched.

Personally, I still run T5s as they perform better than all stand alone LEDs products regardless of brand for coloring Sps.

Patrick Cox
07/30/2014, 07:21 AM
EcoTech.

To the OP............the new LED unit by ATI has no track record or performance to review as it's very new. I'd wait for more info.

The ATI hybrid has taken years of success with their ATI T5 units and added some LEDs for shimmer and supplementation. The early reviews have been very good for SPS.
The control offered is unmatched.

Personally, I still run T5s as they perform better than all stand alone LEDs products regardless of brand for coloring Sps.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am now considering the LED Powermodule as well. I agree this is probably a safer choice at this point. Thanks again.

GatorAlum05
07/30/2014, 08:35 AM
no knock on ecotech (I have two tank, both radionsProGen3) but I think I should have went with ATI t5+led combo. Leds just isn't there yet or if it'll ever get there imho. If ecotech jumps into a T5+led combo, I'll be there with them.

slief
07/30/2014, 09:46 AM
no knock on ecotech (I have two tank, both radionsProGen3) but I think I should have went with ATI t5+led combo. Leds just isn't there yet or if it'll ever get there imho. If ecotech jumps into a T5+led combo, I'll be there with them.

LED's aren't there yet?? I highly disagree. I've seen countless very successful reef's grown strictly under LED's including but not limited to the Radion Pro's. The key is getting the LED's and various spectrums/channels adjusted properly. Too much or not enough of one spectrum can be a bad thing when it comes to coral health. Having a par meter can be very helpful in the acclimation process as well.

I made a switch to LED's from metal halides and T5's on my reef and my tank has flourished over the least 4 years since making the switch. When I made the switch, I measured my par levels both before and after the switch. I started off with lower par on the LED's than with the halide/T5 combo and worked my way up in intensity over the course of a few months never needing to get anywhere close to 100% power on any channel.

Unfortunately, many people don't take the time to read up on proper settings or don't know how to adjust them properly nor do they acclimate properly. Again, an area that having a tool like a par meter can be very helpful. Also, knowing what spectrums cause excessive algae growth and using that growth as an indicator for what channels may be running too high in power is important. Same goes with coral growth. Subtle changes can make a big difference and being able to identify those changes for good or bad and adjust accordingly is very important.

With higher end LED's, you have the ability to tune your lighting spectrum and intensity for different corals needs. You can tune your lighting for the color spectrum of your choice be it 12K, 15K, 20K etc. Good LED's can be tuned to replicate not only the look of metal halides and or T5's but also can be tuned to provide virtually the same usable spectrums for coral growth. You just need to take the time, do the homework and take time making adjustments. Also as mentioned above, having a par meter at your disposal can be very helpful in making a successful transition. Fact is that LED's in many cases put out more par and usable light than a halide does and much more so than T5's so you have to be careful or your success will be seriously compromised.

LED's are in fact "there" now and have been for a while. What may not be there is peoples understanding of how to use them or peoples patience when making the switch.

GatorAlum05
07/30/2014, 10:20 AM
I work 80s hour a week at the hospital. Needless to say a plug and play is conducive to my lifestyle. LEDs are not there yet. If it were I wouldn't have to thinker with it. Just food for thought.

Voodoo Corals
07/30/2014, 10:33 AM

Ati t5/led is a better choice. Ati t5/mh combo is the best choice.

But you are right about LEDs not being there yet. False hope.

tofucube
07/30/2014, 12:46 PM
I work 80s hour a week at the hospital. Needless to say a plug and play is conducive to my lifestyle. LEDs are not there yet. If it were I wouldn't have to thinker with it. Just food for thought.

Have to agree with you on this one. Why can't some of the well known mfg make them so that it's plug and play like T5s

SkullV
07/30/2014, 12:50 PM
LED's are in fact "there" now and have been for a while. What may not be there is peoples understanding of how to use them or peoples patience when making the switch.

"There" and "there" are different for different corals. There is no doubt that LED will grow all corals, including SPS, and that LED lit SPS tanks can look good. The shading which is inherent to LED lighting however renders the light source less optimal than T5 or Halide.

Put a T5 fixture over an SPS tank that has been grown out under led and you'll are multiple white/brown areas that you didn't even notice when the LEDs were over the tank. My bottom line is, LED lot SPS tanks can absolutely look good, but with T5/MH or a T5/MH/LED hybrid will always look better.

For LPS/Softies/Nems, it doesn't matter.

My personal experience is with ATI T5, TEK T5, T5 Retrofit, EcoTech Radion LED, DIY CREE LED, various Chinese LED, Geissman MH/T5, and MH Retrofit. Take that however you will.

vpaul79
07/30/2014, 02:30 PM
Put a T5 fixture over an SPS tank that has been grown out under led and you'll are multiple white/brown areas that you didn't even notice when the LEDs were over the tank. My bottom line is, LED lot SPS tanks can absolutely look good, but with T5/MH or a T5/MH/LED hybrid will always look better.

Very true, LED's will grow SPS, just not as effectively as a T5 or Halide. This is why I favor the ATI Sirius X over the competitors, rather than blasting corals with more LED's and additional spectrums, they've focused on the biggest issue with LED's: light distribution.

When you have shadowing or dim areas in a tank, the solution with pretty much all the other LED's fixtures is to buy more fixtures. You have to buy twice the fixtures and run them at half the power for the sake of coverage, especially in a SPS tank. The goal should be fewer fixture(s) running at higher power. The ATI Sirius has the LEDs in the front and back of the fixture and then reflects the light to an inward angle. This blends the light as they meet, but also reduces shadows and dimming under corals/rocks since they are coming from a directional source. This a generational advancement in LED lighting IMHO. People can grow SPS with enough AI Sol Blue fixtures and they don't have all the extra channels and colors, so adding more LEDs and in different colors to a fixture is a improvement, but its not ground breaking.

slief
07/30/2014, 03:49 PM
Very true, LED's will grow SPS, just not as effectively as a T5 or Halide. This is why I favor the ATI Sirius X over the competitors, rather than blasting corals with more LED's and additional spectrums, they've focused on the biggest issue with LED's: light distribution.

When you have shadowing or dim areas in a tank, the solution with pretty much all the other LED's fixtures is to buy more fixtures. You have to buy twice the fixtures and run them at half the power for the sake of coverage, especially in a SPS tank. The goal should be fewer fixture(s) running at higher power. The ATI Sirius has the LEDs in the front and back of the fixture and then reflects the light to an inward angle. This blends the light as they meet, but also reduces shadows and dimming under corals/rocks since they are coming from a directional source. This a generational advancement in LED lighting IMHO. People can grow SPS with enough AI Sol Blue fixtures and they don't have all the extra channels and colors, so adding more LEDs and in different colors to a fixture is a improvement, but its not ground breaking.

I'm certainly not going to get into the MH or VHO vs LED debate. I will however enter the Sirius vs Ecotech debate but only do so on face value.

Given that the cluster spacing on the Sirius X2 is about the same as the Ecotech's, you can expect about the same shadowing issues for any coral outside the center 8" or so of the fixture.

The Sirius X2 uses a pair wide but very narrow cluster spaced several inches apart.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/ati-sirius-led-4_zpsba330a6d.jpg

The Ecptech uses a rount cluster which is several inches apart on the outside.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/ET_Radions_stacked1_zps45c1e334.png

The Sirius LED clusters have very similar LED spectrums when compared to Ecotech:
LED Configuration (Per Cluster):
6x Cree XPE Blue
2x Luxeon M Royal Blue 450nm
2x Luxeon M Cool White
2x Cree XPE Red
1x Semileds Violet 420nm

Compared to Ecotech Radion Pro:
• Cool White: 8 Cree XP-G2 (40W)
• Deep Blue: 8 Osram Oslon Square (40W )
• Blue: 8 Cree XP-E (24W)
• Green: 4 Cree XP-E (14W)
• Hyper Red: 4 Osram Oslon SSL (12W)
• Yellow: 2 Osram Oslon SSL (6W)
• Indigo: 4 SemiLEDs (10W)
• UV: 4 SemiLEDs (10W)

While the Sirius X2 is 150 watts and the Ecotech is 170 watts, the additional 20 watts is primarily made up of colors that the Sirius doesn't include.

The cost of the Sirius is certainly less than the Ecotech but at present, the Sirius can't be controlled by external controllers like the Apex which many people prefer.

So while the cost difference is about $100 between the Ecotech and the Sirius X2, for that hundred dollars, you get a very similar LED layout. The Radion Pro is two round pucks with the LED's spread evenly throughout and different optic choices for your needs where as the Sirius X2 uses two smaller LED arrays arranged in a line and doesn't include the option for different optics. The Ecotech offers multiple options for controlling and adjusting the LED's where as Sirius offers their control panel and windows based software (if I am not mistaken).

Both fixtures offer about the same spread and both will have similar point source shadowing necessitating the need for multiple fixtures depending on the tank size and layout.

That said, I've read up enough on both lights and I don't see what makes the Sirius so special. That's not to say it's any worse or better than the Ecotech but given that the both offer similar LED configuration with the Ecotech offering a few more colors without sacrificing wattage/brightness to the primary white, blue and deep blue colors, I'd say the Ecotech's lends itself better for making different coral colors pop and may offer a wider spectrum and more usable color ranges.

Sure, Sirius offers the X1, X2, X4 etc in one nice long fixture and that would work great for tanks up to 24-30" wide and would potentially save money over multiple Ecotechs but again, it's not an apples to apples comparison. There are features offered by the Eco that may not appeal to you but are requirements for others. Things like the ability to control the lighting from your reef controller or being able to set Kelvin without experimenting much. Built in light acclimation programs, or even the additional color spectrums. The Sirius looks to be a very nice light without a doubt and is very reasonably priced. What it may lack in apparent features, it makes up for with it's nice design and relatively affordable price. I obviously can't knock the product but at the same time, there is nothing special that I see with this fixture that makes it any better than the Ecotech or maybe even the Hydra.

Nanoriffe.de
07/31/2014, 06:13 PM
Hi there,

I just found this report and would like to here sometimes interfere short.

Apologies first times my English, I hope I can bring across well here.

We have presented the days here in Germany the Radion XR15w per Exclusiv, unfortunately, we were more than disappointed by the lamp.
The lamp is very small and stylish, that's all super, but she is very sound.
Already after 5 minutes the fan starts to run, and is getting louder.

Then we have the lamp held times on the ground and noticed something that blew us real.
The built-in 120 degree lens kit makes a huge squiggle in the middle.
That can not be so original right?

I ask this here once, because I have seen the EcoTech is represented here.
Unfortunately, the service is here in Germany not so good about the products.
We have tested this with three lights, all new and all three had this circle in the middle.

A bracket is also missing that needs to be bought extra.

Since we have of course the company ATI sitting here in Germany, we are sometimes there and have the new ATI Sirius got us X1.

We have also made a comparison. Radion XR15w Pro vs.. ATI Sirius X1
The video I can resubmit like. If desired.

But I would like to know here once by the company EcoTech whether it is normal that the lamp generates such a circle?
In the 80 degree kit we clearly see a spot effect, this is also not quite useful I think.

Check it out in the video pure, although it is in German, but one can visually understand everything well.

Because we were really very disappointed when we saw that.
After all costs the Radion with us a good 150 euros more than the Sirius and then you have to buy a mount for 50 euros.

Greetings from Germany

-Q85YcJ0s2Q?list=UUHvvx3ebKnfjqkIUjdpVbYQ

Saltwatercoral2
07/31/2014, 06:15 PM
36" x 24" x 20". I am trying to eliminate clutter around my tank so I want just one fixture. Thanks though.

I agree with your thoughts but I can say for sure that I will not find one of the ATI fixtures near me. Your's and other comments though are making me re-consider the LED Powermodule. More reading to do! Thanks.

I have the Ecotech Radion gen 3 pro over my 36 x 24 x 17" tall tank,, Only 1 fixture and its plenty..

Patrick Cox
07/31/2014, 07:20 PM
Deleted this reply...

tofucube
08/01/2014, 12:29 AM
Hi there,

I just found this report and would like to here sometimes interfere short.

Apologies first times my English, I hope I can bring across well here.

We have presented the days here in Germany the Radion XR15w per Exclusiv, unfortunately, we were more than disappointed by the lamp.
The lamp is very small and stylish, that's all super, but she is very sound.
Already after 5 minutes the fan starts to run, and is getting louder.

Then we have the lamp held times on the ground and noticed something that blew us real.
The built-in 120 degree lens kit makes a huge squiggle in the middle.
That can not be so original right?

I ask this here once, because I have seen the EcoTech is represented here.
Unfortunately, the service is here in Germany not so good about the products.
We have tested this with three lights, all new and all three had this circle in the middle.

A bracket is also missing that needs to be bought extra.

Since we have of course the company ATI sitting here in Germany, we are sometimes there and have the new ATI Sirius got us X1.

We have also made a comparison. Radion XR15w Pro vs.. ATI Sirius X1
The video I can resubmit like. If desired.

But I would like to know here once by the company EcoTech whether it is normal that the lamp generates such a circle?
In the 80 degree kit we clearly see a spot effect, this is also not quite useful I think.

Check it out in the video pure, although it is in German, but one can visually understand everything well.

Because we were really very disappointed when we saw that.
After all costs the Radion with us a good 150 euros more than the Sirius and then you have to buy a mount for 50 euros.

Greetings from Germany

-Q85YcJ0s2Q?list=UUHvvx3ebKnfjqkIUjdpVbYQ

Very nice video. Thanks for posting that. That ATI fixture looks super sleek.

vpaul79
08/01/2014, 12:51 AM
Excellent video Nanoriffe.de

I did not understand a word, but I could still follow what you were trying to communicate

Big E
08/01/2014, 03:25 AM
I obviously can't knock the product but at the same time, there is nothing special that I see with this fixture that makes it any better than the Ecotech or maybe even the Hydra.

You're missing the most important point of the ATI LED............ it comepletly eliminates hot spots. That is one of the major problems of those disc designed LED units. The light isn't a narrow beam with a spotlight effect..........I'm willing to bet the par is more even across a tank.

This is a huge innovation as it eliminates shadows and covers corals better......especially important on larger corals.

The Sirius has a channel to control each color and it can also control each cluster separately. No other LED light in the market is able to do this other than the ATI hybrid powermodule.

I never understood why controlling the light from a separate controller is such an advantage. Most controllers are tucked away in a hard to get accessible area versus something that is right at the light itself.

It looks to be Windows compatible from the reviews I've read.

It's seems apparent from the video posted that it's also quieter than the Radion.

Sirius has no optics and uses reflectors.

BRS video with more Sirius info-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3fe4vsHr5o&trk_msg=TL85C7BKOP5K1DMIBTRUNBCDL4&trk_contact=UA85BPCF12KPPIUQ3LD78S1QGO&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dh3fe4vsHr5o&utm_campaign=education&utm_content=brstv_061314

More Sirius info from ATI in this thread----
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2405048

Big E
08/01/2014, 03:58 AM
Another marked difference in the two is that the Sirius has a 4:1 ratio of Blues to whites and the Radion uses a 2:1 ratio.

Nanoriffe.de
08/01/2014, 06:14 AM
You're missing the most important point of the ATI LED............ it comepletly eliminates hot spots. That is one of the major problems of those disc designed LED units. The light isn't a narrow beam with a spotlight effect..........I'm willing to bet the par is more even across a tank.

This is a huge innovation as it eliminates shadows and covers corals better......especially important on larger corals.

Since you speak exactly the point where more than is important. The uniform distribution of light over the tank.
And since we have tested a lot of lamps and measuring, we know precisely which lights the way to get really good.
Even in the manufacture of lenses tests are always done on a white pad.
The only way to find out if the lens distributes the light Bundles or.
Lenses also lead to losses, so reflectors are definitely better.

It's seems apparent from the video posted that it's also quieter than the Radion.

This is with the volume also such a thing, everyone here has indeed a different view, but I find this very borderline.
Clear the lamp is very small, therefore the cooling surfaces not so great. But it does from the thermal exhaustion forth be better to solve.

As I said, we are body and soul seawater freaks.
And we only just find that if a product is already much more tasted than another, then this even worse in measurements than the other product, then you should because sometimes about it talk.

We want to reach even here only one that we all need the products in our hobby, be better and priced fair.

Mark

polleke
08/01/2014, 07:05 AM
If you want to go SPS do yourself a big favour and use the combination LED and T5. I started out using just LEDs but really felt something was missing. Added some T5 and my tank started to look a lot better, especially the Acroporas. Both growth and color improved dramatically.

You can go Ecotech, but just add some T5 yourself or go ATI and have it all in one fixture.

Slief, you have a very nice tank but I don't see any SPS flourishing in there, so please do not use it as an example. In reality the only SPS tank I saw long term succes with LED only used Orphek (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eS32uleV-I&list=UU2XFo7xwGfRS1DWauzFtCIg). Please post a link to an SPS tank using another LED type with large corals (not just frags) and having had the same lights for more than a year.

FranktheTankTx
11/01/2014, 07:16 PM
I really enjoyed reading this thread... not so much because Ecotech vs ATI - but more so learning about ATI's product.

Am I reading correctly that the Powermodule does not include violet led?

Patrick Cox
11/01/2014, 08:06 PM
I really enjoyed reading this thread... not so much because Ecotech vs ATI - but more so learning about ATI's product.

I ended up with the LED Powermodule and there are red LEDs but I am not sure if they are violet. But I don't think it is so important because you have T5s mixed in to broaden the spectrum. It's a very nice fixture. Good luck.

gus6464
11/01/2014, 08:46 PM
Hybrid or nothing :D

s2nhle
11/27/2014, 08:40 PM

+1. Very good thread. Thank you very much.

calistyle
02/04/2015, 09:13 AM
If you go LED only, my only consideration would be Radion Pro. The only knock to LED (any LED only unit) is the shadowing LED creates. Some like it, I do to, but not at the level LED does.

My Radion grew anything I put in the tank.

http://i.imgur.com/EEFgbYi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zC8RYQJ.jpg

However, I would go with a combo fixture to eliminate some of the shadowing...

http://i.imgur.com/bNhENkl.png

usingthejohn
02/04/2015, 10:27 AM
If you go LED only, my only consideration would be Radion Pro. The only knock to LED (any LED only unit) is the shadowing LED creates. Some like it, I do to, but not at the level LED does.

My Radion grew anything I put in the tank.

http://i.imgur.com/EEFgbYi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zC8RYQJ.jpg

However, I would go with a combo fixture to eliminate some of the shadowing...

http://i.imgur.com/bNhENkl.png
I have 3 radions and 4x54w t5s. My question is how do the supplemental lighting alleviate shadowing, especially if the light is coming from the same angle?

calistyle
02/04/2015, 10:37 AM
You have the perfect setup. It was what I wanted to do, but didn't want a canopy, so I went AIO unit.

T5 spread is better than LED, so the shadowing would be less (see pic above). The above pic is of a Radion solo, right above coral, then a T5 unit right above it.

I don't see how it would be the same angle either.

rdaly97
02/12/2015, 05:55 PM
I have 2 ecotech gen1 and was thinking about supplementing with 2 T5 bulbs. Mixed tank. What color t5 bulbs would you recommend adding?

rehype
02/12/2015, 10:56 PM
I have 2 ecotech gen1 and was thinking about supplementing with 2 T5 bulbs. Mixed tank. What color t5 bulbs would you recommend adding?

ATI Purple plus and ATI Blue plus

mordibv
02/13/2015, 05:54 AM
I have used MH,Geisemann, Ice cap t5 ,CV MH , Hamilton MH/t5 ,PacSun led,Sunbrite Led, ATI PM . The best results I got where with MH/T5 or T5 with SPS .
The OP is leaning towards a SPS tank . That being said , on the two fixtures mentioned I saw a video with the ATI fixture and it indeed did have a disco effect .U definitely saw the red diodes on the sandbed . Maybe this could have been eliminated with the software . The ATI unit proly has better spread but the option to control remotely without a cable is less than desired imho.
One thing the radion has going for it is support and good CS. Reefgeek no longer exists so ATI support has gone to the wayside . I think it's pretty sad that an ATI Sirrus owner had to wait 3 months for an English manual trying to figure out how to use the light . Are there no technical writers in Germany ??It also just happens that it took a English reefer to assist on using the power module led unit .That is a long thread that is still going on . My hats off to him (Sahin ) .
So @nanoriffe.de the poor support u mention for Ecotech in Germany is the same poor support for ATI in the US.I only saw one video you all posted on the web to assist English speaking ppl but no more since then .It means a lot to me as a customer of any product to be able to have good support . The lack of good support gives the impression that said company does not want my money or is not concerned for their customer's .I also agree that led's are not quite there yet since you have to use multiple units at lower power levels to eliminate shadowing for SPS . I am only referring to SPS dominant tanks which the OP is leaning towards . All in all I am sure these are great fixtures but Imho it's going to take a hybrid unit or the addition of t5's to get the job done . I agree the use of T5 added means more clutter if the unit is not AIO . The drawback to the PM led unit is no wireless connection but it is my understanding that ATI is working on that .My guess to the success reefers are having with the PM Led is the fact that it relies heavily on T5 use . It looks like buying tubes every 9 months may be unavoidable which is why ppl love leds so much .
On a side note I give both companies a hats off for finally addressing the corrosion/salt creep issues . Radions have a fan on top now and the PM led unit have clips to prevent the acrylic sheild from sagging . This should not be an issue for the Sirrus but I wonder if the sunpower comes with clips now . My ATI t5 PM had a sagging shield and when I replaced the fans that died, corrosion was the cause .

Mike de Leon
08/16/2016, 08:19 AM
So, Any ATI users out there? I like the idea of one sleek fixture over a tank, instead of several boxes.
Seems the performance of the Radion is probably top notch, however, modular better looking fixtures will really go a long way. The hyped up black box just does not look good.
I love to be able to hang a single unit to cover my 4' rimless tank.

Not so sure why the ATI Sirius didn't take off. The Powermodules had a really good reputation.

s2nhle
08/16/2016, 01:14 PM
I can't speak for the ati Sirius as I did not own it. however, I owned 2 ecotech pro and was wonder why my coralline does not grow on my tank. I has the spare tank for quarantine under t5 bulbs where I change the its water with dt water, the coralline in this tank grow crazy but not on dt under radion pro. sps grow ok.