PDA

View Full Version : Gorgonian id please

LOU A VILLE
07/29/2014, 04:23 PM
Anybody I'd this gorgonian for me? Any care tips? I've read up on them some and traded a bubble nem for it because I couldnt keep the nem to stay anywhere.

noy
07/29/2014, 06:39 PM
a little hard to tell without polyp extension and a closeup of the skin texture.

but if I were to hazard a guess either
plexaura flexuosa (from the growth form) or
pseudopterogorgia elisabethae (usually more pinnate in growth).

LOU A VILLE
07/29/2014, 07:47 PM
Hope this helps,

LelandF.
07/29/2014, 08:29 PM
It's 100% Muriceopsis flavida.

Leland

LOU A VILLE
07/29/2014, 08:37 PM
It's 100% Muriceopsis flavida.

Leland

That was my first thought as we'll but figured I'd make sure. What don't think noy?

noy
07/29/2014, 09:00 PM
That was my first thought as we'll but figured I'd make sure. What don't think noy?

could well be from the 2nd photo - I thought about that but the 1st pic showed (what I thought) to be a smooth skinned specimen. but definitely not pseudopterogorgia (polyp colour) or plexura (growth form). And from the 2nd picture it seems much more pinnate

Muriceopsis flavida has a slight bumpy skin texture to it when the polyps are retracted. So if that's the case - that's probably it.

Here is an article from Reefbuilder in terms of care

Muriceopsis is also a good choice as a beginner gorgonian. It looks like big purple feathers; in the wild it grows into large bushes a few feet in height. This gorgonian is fairly soft and sways in the current, so it is a nice coral to add if you are looking for more movement in your reef. It is very easy to keep and will tolerate many different tank conditions. It does like strong lighting and will flourish under Metal Halide, T5, and LED lighting. Since Muriceopsis grows well in reef tanks and is hardy, it is a good candidate for fragging. This type of gorgonian can also tolerate somewhat lower flow conditions making it a safe choice for seahorse and pipefish species aquarium.

LelandF.
07/29/2014, 09:03 PM
Muriceopsis has smooth, rounded branches when the polyps are retracted. The rounded branches are the main identifier, and you get to know them just by looking at them after awhile.

Leland

LOU A VILLE
07/29/2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks both of you all