PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Issue with API Test Results

grant778
07/29/2014, 06:35 PM
I have had my 10 gallon quarantine tank cycling for about a month and a half and today I was doing some major work in the display tank and it clouded up a lot. I decided to move my two ocellaris clownfish to the quarantine tank until tomorrow. As I am preparing the qt tank for a new fish, I decided to test the qt tank as well to verify that it was ready for the fish's arrival. Here were my results, and I was somewhat worried about my ammonia result. I don't know if you can tell easily in the picture, but the ammonia test tube color is in between 0 and .25 ppm. It is hard for me to believe that after doing a 30-40 percent water change on the qt tank before the fish were added, as well as having had the tank cycling for 1 and a half months, that there is any ammonia at all. I am curious as to if this color I see in my ammonia test tube is the actual color that indicates 0 ppm of ammonia, rather than the one they picture on the card.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3867/14594644168_bdaf873448.jpg

oakengineer
07/29/2014, 06:54 PM
I have the same test kit, and it is regularly, as you say, between 0 and .25. Keep in mind that if you do a 40% water change, you still have 60% of the ammonia you started with. Water changes won't eliminate ammonia, but it will make the levels less toxic.

grant778
07/29/2014, 06:59 PM
I stopped ghost feeding the tank like two weeks ago, And I do a 5 gallon water change on the qt tank, once every week. including todays water change that means 90-120 percent of the water has been changed with no source for ammonia to mount. I test the tank once every week and for the past couple weeks the test has read this same level. I also have a seachem ammonia alert badge in the tank and it says everything is safe. This is why I think maybe that the reading between 0 and .25 ppm I am getting is really representative of 0 ammonia.

santanzchild
07/30/2014, 02:19 AM
I have had my 10 gallon quarantine tank cycling for about a month and a half and today I was doing some major work in the display tank and it clouded up a lot. I decided to move my two ocellaris clownfish to the quarantine tank until tomorrow. As I am preparing the qt tank for a new fish, I decided to test the qt tank as well to verify that it was ready for the fish's arrival. Here were my results, and I was somewhat worried about my ammonia result. I don't know if you can tell easily in the picture, but the ammonia test tube color is in between 0 and .25 ppm. It is hard for me to believe that after doing a 30-40 percent water change on the qt tank before the fish were added, as well as having had the tank cycling for 1 and a half months, that there is any ammonia at all. I am curious as to if this color I see in my ammonia test tube is the actual color that indicates 0 ppm of ammonia, rather than the one they picture on the card.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3867/14594644168_bdaf873448.jpg

That is the color mine always is. I can use another brand kit and get a 0 but will still get some green on the API

MrTuskfish
07/30/2014, 09:17 AM
Any ammonia is too much, IMO. When in doubt; add an ammonia neutralizer; like Prime, Amquel, etc. Very safe & reliable. Many ammonia test kits don't work with these additives, though.

jrozzi
07/30/2014, 09:54 AM
you don't have ammonia its the test kit.

oh207
07/30/2014, 02:57 PM
You could still see an ammonia spike especially since its been some time since you ghost fed the tank. Adding the two clowns increased the bioload and the existing bacteria was not sufficient to handle the newly added bioload. Best to do a water change and or add prime. Also, you can see a false positive if you have any copper in the water.

tc2007
07/30/2014, 03:45 PM
I get the same color always on the API kit. Been running the tests since 2 months. No problems at all.