PDA

View Full Version : Ich, and 30 Micron Filter Sock

Freind
07/30/2014, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Is it true that 30 micron filter can trap the ich?

If yes can I control the ich by using the 25 micron filter.

Thanksm

mgrmax
07/30/2014, 02:03 PM
I was wondering about this the other day.

maddmaxx
07/30/2014, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Is it true that 30 micron filter can trap the ich?

If yes can I control the ich by using the 25 micron filter.

Thanksm

i highly doubt it. if you have ich in your system. it is well spread throughout the system. so what you "may" catch in the socks. theres still tons of it inside your system. i believe the ich eggs are on the sand bed. and floating around inside your water volume, and attached to your fish. please understand, that even if you dont see the white cyst of the ich on a fish, doesnt mean it doesnt have ich. thats usually the last stage of ich showing the fish is infected.

so again. i highly doubt you can control ich with filter socks...

mgrmax
07/30/2014, 04:14 PM
i highly doubt it. if you have ich in your system. it is well spread throughout the system. so what you "may" catch in the socks. theres still tons of it inside your system. i believe the ich eggs are on the sand bed. and floating around inside your water volume, and attached to your fish. please understand, that even if you dont see the white cyst of the ich on a fish, doesnt mean it doesnt have ich. thats usually the last stage of ich showing the fish is infected.

Is a 30 micron sock small enough to catch ich in all it's stages? The reason I ask is because I run a full time QT. I would like to use the WC water from my DT to use for water changes on the QT while there are no fish in it.

maddmaxx
07/30/2014, 04:33 PM
do you have ich in your main tank? if so. then running a qt is pointless. cause eventually healthy fish will go into a sick aquarium...

again is there ich in your main tank?

Freind
07/30/2014, 04:37 PM

I understand that the filter can only trap ich at the free floating stage.

What about Lowering the salinity. Is it a successful treatment?

I appreciate if anyone give any other suggestion on treating the ich.

Thanks,

maddmaxx
07/30/2014, 04:41 PM
I understand that the filter can only trap ich at the free floating stage.

What about Lowering the salinity. Is it a successful treatment?

I appreciate if anyone give any other suggestion on treating the ich.

Thanks,

yes lowing salinity as a hypo treatment is very effective. but the tank will have to remain fishless for, i think its 12 weeks. so all forms of ich will die. but this isnt a smart move if you have sich fish already, and have coral in the tank. lowering salinity to hypo levels would most likely kill off all your coral if you have any...

if you have sick fish. you will need to put them into a separate tank and do treatment. put corals in another tank and leave fishless for 12 weeks. and leave main tank fishless for 12 weeks. if all done properly 3 months all will be well and can reintroduce fish and coral to main tank...read the stickies at the top of the forum or do a search. seems like your not really willing to listen here. and just hoping someone will give you a quick fix... hope everything works out

gone fishin
07/30/2014, 04:47 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1992196

maddmaxx
07/30/2014, 05:01 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1992196

+ 1

shesacharmer
07/30/2014, 05:06 PM
You can leave all your corals and inverts in your display tank while it is fishless for at least 72 days. But the fish have to come out to eliminate the ich in your DT.

Freind
07/30/2014, 05:12 PM
yes lowing salinity as a hypo treatment is very effective. but the tank will have to remain fishless for, i think its 12 weeks. so all forms of ich will die. but this isnt a smart move if you have sich fish already, and have coral in the tank. lowering salinity to hypo levels would most likely kill off all your coral if you have any...

if you have sick fish. you will need to put them into a separate tank and do treatment. put corals in another tank and leave fishless for 12 weeks. and leave main tank fishless for 12 weeks. if all done properly 3 months all will be well and can reintroduce fish and coral to main tank...read the stickies at the top of the forum or do a search. seems like your not really willing to listen here. and just hoping someone will give you a quick fix... hope everything works out

I don't have any coral. Just FOWLR. So can I leave the fish in the tank while lowering the sanity?

And by the way this is the first piece of advice given to me for the ich, and that what forums for. New member ask for help and advice and experience members answer them if they want. I really don't mind if you don't give me any suggestions but I really don't like taunting.
Thanks

Freind
07/30/2014, 05:35 PM
do you have ich in your main tank? if so. then running a qt is pointless. cause eventually healthy fish will go into a sick aquarium...

Yes it is in the main tank.

shesacharmer
07/30/2014, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure what hypo will do to your live rock and sand...you'll have to wait for an expert to chime in. Generally people treat their sick fish outside the display tank.

Freind
07/30/2014, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure what hypo will do to your live rock and sand...you'll have to wait for an expert to chime in. Generally people treat their sick fish outside the display tank.

Thanks,
Unfortunately I don't have the QT and other equipment. But while my regular water change I use Stress Zyme. I was thinking to use it more often during the process. But you are right, I need some expert advise.
Thanks again.

snorvich
07/30/2014, 08:05 PM
Reading these stickies (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2389659) should increase your knowledge considerably.

mgrmax
07/30/2014, 08:26 PM

I do not have ich in my DT. Just trying to save money on salt and figured it would keep the QT cycled until I purchase another fish in the near future.

Either way, say there is ich in a DT and the water is filtered through a sock prior to going into the QT, is that enough to trap it through all stages of its life cycle?

Thanks

kurt_n
07/30/2014, 08:42 PM
Whether or not the opening size of the filter sock would catch the free-floating ich, it's kind of pointless. It's like "curing" cancer by cutting out the tumor even though it's still in your lymph nodes floating around your body.

Freind
07/31/2014, 12:15 AM
Reading these stickies (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2389659) should increase your knowledge considerably.

Whether or not the opening size of the filter sock would catch the free-floating ich, it's kind of pointless. It's like "curing" cancer by cutting out the tumor even though it's still in your lymph nodes floating around your body.

I do not have ich in my DT. Just trying to save money on salt and figured it would keep the QT cycled until I purchase another fish in the near future.

Either way, say there is ich in a DT and the water is filtered through a sock prior to going into the QT, is that enough to trap it through all stages of its life cycle?

Thanks

Thanks everyone.
I read some of the articles and it is suggested that lowering the salinity will also kills the Corals, shrimps and Bio Filter. I'm curious and confuse about one thing, since I have no coral in my DT, is this process recommended directly in in the DT which is FOWLR.
Thanks,

gone fishin
07/31/2014, 12:34 AM
I will just say IMO hyposalinity is exceedingly difficult to successfully complete. I say this because the salinity must be strictly maintained. Also, IMO you stand a good chance of losing a good portion if not all of your beneficial bacteria compounding your problems. Just my 2 cents.

Jritter02
07/31/2014, 01:24 AM
Why not use copper if you have no corals or invertebrates?

shermanator
07/31/2014, 08:43 AM
Why not use copper if you have no corals or invertebrates?

This will ruin the live rock and substrate (for good). It's also very very hard to get the proper therapeutic level of copper with rock and sand around because so much copper absorbs onto each.

And copper (not cupramine) kills bacteria so you'll quickly have an unicycled tank and high ammonia.

Freind
07/31/2014, 07:08 PM
This will ruin the live rock and substrate (for good). It's also very very hard to get the proper therapeutic level of copper with rock and sand around because so much copper absorbs onto each.

And copper (not cupramine) kills bacteria so you'll quickly have an unicycled tank and high ammonia.

Thanks

inetmug
07/31/2014, 07:58 PM
UV can kill it in the stage where it is swimming (forget the name of that stage), but it has to be slow enough through the tube to kill it, but not too slow to kill everything else that feeds the reef.

no matter, if you got it, the only way is to fallow the tank unless you have no invertebrates in the tank...cuprimine claims not to kill the sand.... claims....

someone posted an excellent article on the timeline and "chances" of remaining infection, my bet is if you run a UV, and fallow the tank, you can probably be safe in half the time..... probably....

diegoluv
07/31/2014, 08:50 PM
No it won't stop ich. IMO, every tank has ich. It's just a matter of Keeping your fish healthy and their immune system will fight off the ich.