PDA

View Full Version : Whats in the tank with your sharks or rays

NovaSS
07/30/2014, 09:51 PM
I was wondering what everyone has for tank mates with there sharks or rays?

Zoodiver
07/31/2014, 06:36 AM
You can have a few different approaches to tank mates depending on tank set up and species of sharks/rays.
Typical home size aquariums with carpet/benthic sharks, I'd avoid grazers (tangs and angels). Avoid triggers as well, they tend to like eating eyes.

Good tank mates are usually 'filler fish' - groupers, grunts, snappers, chromis, anthias... small fish that won't pick at the sharks but stay up in the water column to avoid being eaten, or large fish that are not going to care the sharks are there. I also like other sharks/rays as tank mates. Many of the smaller sharks/rays thrive together, and multi species displays look cool when you see different sharks/rays together (at least to me).

If you get into bigger displays - ponds and custom made pools, the options open up a lot more. With space, you can get away with schools of tangs and other reef fish. But then again, when you start getting into big systems, many of the typical rules don't apply anymore and the dynamic of the tank changes greatly.

NovaSS
07/31/2014, 01:07 PM
my biggest tank i have now is 8'lx3'wx2'h I have 1 cortez ray, month old coral cat, squirl fish, one spot fox face, 3" Harlequin tusk, and a blue starfish. I have a volitan lion, blue dot grouper, and regal tank in alittle bit smaller system. I would like to move the volitan over to the biggest tank I just dont know how he will do with the ray and that girl loves to swim. im also been thinking about adding 1 gray bamboo and 1 blonde naso.

Zoodiver
07/31/2014, 02:53 PM
The lion should do just fine with the ray. As long as the shark pup is big enough the lion can't suck it down, it should be ok as well.