PDA

View Full Version : Flatworms

mmark
07/31/2014, 05:53 PM
So I have a hammer almost a month. Probably had flatworms on it when I got it but I'm a rookie and did not know just thought it was normal. The hammer is growing great had three heads to start and two new ones have sprouted. It's about the size of a baseball. I'm counting about 8-10 flatworms on it. I did not dip prior but have purchased some coral revive. Question is do it pull it out and dip or leave it be. Will they just continue to reproduce if I don't take it out and dip it. And if I should dip---never did it before could use some tips unless the bottle directions are the way to go.

mmark
08/01/2014, 03:18 AM
Any thoughts on this. I'm planning a water change tomorrow so I'd like to get it all done at once if needed. Thanks

gone fishin
08/01/2014, 03:39 AM
you may try posting over in the reef discussion or fish disease forum. Your more likely to get a faster response.

I have never had to deal with flatworms. I can't be of much help.

Mbelanger
08/01/2014, 06:40 AM
Use that flatworm exit from salifert. Super easy to use. I just recently got rid of a bunch from my nano before moving to the 57. Just follow the instructions. (I had to use a few more drops than the instruction recommended).
I'd venture to say that if they are on your hammer they by now have spread to nearby rocks so I think treating the whole tank can use the treatment.

Prplhz96
08/01/2014, 06:57 AM
Flatworm exit will be the only way to rid of all of them. After a month in your display, they are prolly everywhere now. You will be surprised when you use the exit at all the areas they will be coming out of

oh207
08/01/2014, 07:29 AM
Flatworm exit is the way to go. But follow the instructions closely. Try to siphon out as much as possible and have a net ready to scoop up any that died after you add the medication. They are easy to siphon out.
When they die they release a poison that could crash your tank. Be sure to have lots of Carbon ready to run afterwards.

ca1ore
08/01/2014, 08:26 AM
I guess it depends a bit on the type of flatworm. Some just kind of hang out, others explode (particularly the red ones). A picture would help.

You can absolutely remove the coral and dip it (ought to be doing that with all new corals at a minimum anyhow). I'm not particularly big fan of FWE, as I don't find it to be all that effective, and I've lost fish as a consequence. My preferred approach is biological, buy a Hoeven's or Dusky wrasse. Cleared my tank of the darn things.