PDA

View Full Version : Ventralis Anthias

ca1ore
08/01/2014, 08:13 AM
I'm a sucker for punishment these days apparently, so on the heels of my successful acclimation of a Potters Leopard Wrasse, thought I'd try my 'holy grail' fish, a Ventralis Anthias.

What's the prevailing wisdom on these fish these days? I assume low light, less aggressive tank-mates and lower temperatures? How many in a 90 FOWLR? Any suggestions on best approach to QT, foods to try, etc.? Thanks in advance.

eatbreakfast
08/01/2014, 09:52 AM
They like low 70's for temps, do best in groups, 3 would be the bare minimum with the more the merrier, odd numbers, and frequent feedings of small meaty items with peaceful tankmates that stay out in the open.

acesq
08/02/2014, 09:23 AM
Ventralis anthias are one of my favorite reef fishes.

I have kept them for the last two years in a brightly lit, high 70's reef tank with no issues health or feeding issues whatsoever. I had a harem of a male and two females who did well for over 8 months until I lost them along with many other fish in a power outage. I found a replacement male a few months later and have had him for close to a year. He made the transition from my office 120 to my home 340 without incident and is doing very well. He competes for food (primarily LRF, PE mysis and Hikari sprirulina brine) with 18 other fish, mostly angels, tangs and wrasses with no problems. My summer temps (with MH lighting) run between 77 and 80 -- warmer that I would prefer, but he has not missed a beat.

After looking for a good year, I just picked up three small females and am fattening them up in my frag tank before introducing them to the main tank. I have found that nutramar ova is the perfect size food to get them eating and they take to it right away. I am looking for another three or four females to make an awesome school.

davew0670
08/02/2014, 09:31 AM
had a few in our shop for a couple of weeks. Finally got two of the females eating really well...they came home with me yesterday. Still cant get any of the males eating yet. Showing interest but that's about it.

snorvich
08/02/2014, 10:36 AM
had a few in our shop for a couple of weeks. Finally got two of the females eating really well...they came home with me yesterday. Still cant get any of the males eating yet. Showing interest but that's about it.

Try Nutramar Ova or capelin fish roe

Fiish
08/02/2014, 05:07 PM
I have read some things about the ventralis anthias, are one of my favorite fish, but i've found that are very sensitive to the time of acclimatization in the tank and the temperature, in addition to feeding usually quite fussy, you should offer peaceful tank mates.

ReefingWerewolf
08/02/2014, 05:21 PM
1 o my dream fish, someday I want to set up a cube with a large school of them, alongside a bunch of angels. :D

finsurgeon
08/03/2014, 10:10 PM
So where is anyone getting Nutramar Ova? Is there a trickle of supply somewhere that is a closely guarded secret? I desperately need some to feed my Orange-Spotted Filefish female, advertised on DD to be taking frozen brine and ova, but getting thinner and thinner on just brine. I had hoped to convert her to flakes and mysis, as had worked well for the male, but it seems that the best way to transition is to have some ova to soak the flakes and pellets in to absorb the smell/ taste. She nibbles mysis some, but her mouth is not as big as the male, and she ends up missing out.
Sorry to hijack the thread. But I'm also a huge ventralis fan, and would worry about acquiring some while the world is in the midst of a nutramar ova shortage.

ca1ore
08/04/2014, 07:48 AM
No, I think some folks just had a pack or two still in the freezer. It is something I always make sure to have on hand, though I am down to my last flat (fortunately it lasts a while).

o2manyfish
08/05/2014, 01:27 AM
I have been in the hobby along time. I was lucky enough to see ACESQ male ventralis last week and Its one of the most beautiful fish I have seen.

If you have the right setup, and the patience it is well worth the reward.

My experience with other Anthias, is that to be successful you definitely need a group of them. And lots of feeding opportunities.

Dave B

Fiish
08/05/2014, 06:52 PM
Reading is always necessary before having a fish of these requirements are the most beautiful known, however the most difficult i have ever had the chance to see him in captivity, but the pictures speak for themselves, it is safe before you have one of these fish, there will be prepared with a good amount of food available and a very good quality of water, the ventralis anthias is very dear to the hobby .

SDguy
08/05/2014, 07:01 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of FOWLR, but I don't think it's a good choice for a delicate species of anthias.

ca1ore
08/06/2014, 11:26 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of FOWLR, but I don't think it's a good choice for a delicate species of anthias.

Because FOWLR implies more aggressive fish? Or some thing else? I'm actually setting up mine with leopard wrasses in mind that aren't doing well in my main display, so it won't be aggressive at all.

suta4242
08/06/2014, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't keep Ventralis with any fish that could behave aggressively towards them. Otherwise they won't come out to feed and will hide.

As far as habitat goes, one collector I spoke with said their preferred habitat was pretty rocky ie nothing like a typical reef tank, so I don't think you need to worry there.

HTH and good luck!

Fiish
08/06/2014, 04:14 PM
I agree that you should not keep ventralis anthias with more aggressive fish, it will generate a lot of stress, a lot more than they cause arriving to the tank. They are more comfortable with more peaceful fish such as angel fish , gobies etc; in an environment of greater volume of water may be more comfortable with larger species such as tangs.