PDA

View Full Version : PetCo is terrible - Photos

dustinkimpel
08/01/2014, 09:28 AM
The new PetCo in Lawton Oklahoma is absolutly terrible. The so called "Aquatic Expert" knows absolutly nothing about saltwater fish. All of their "corals" are all dead just sitting in a tank. Many of the fish are dead just rotting in the tanks, not to mention every single one of them has ich! That's right every saltwater fish in the store is coverd and has a very bad case of it. I managed to get some pictures of some of the fish without being too obvious since they were standing there watching me:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10435927_703947399677107_6417779447828644871_n.jpg?oh=090a1039cf68cfcbf9326b71aa4e8add&oe=5440E5C2&__gda__=1415192232_66ef5fd1148df5d9b0d35e61f88a8f38

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1604514_703947339677113_2164609958569431954_n.jpg

This is a dead trigger btw:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10513459_703947476343766_476965145457736765_n.jpg

Greendarwin19
08/01/2014, 11:21 AM
So true...

CODE3EMT
08/01/2014, 11:51 AM
Yep! That's typical with Petco "where the pets croak" I find that the stores that use a linked system tends to have many issues. Once a disease manifest itself it soon spreads like a wild fire though out the entire livestock system. I go there to buy my dog food and that's about it. I learned a hard lesson buying saltwater fish from them. The staff is nothing more than kids working a summer job who could give a hoot about animal husbandry.

m0nkie
08/01/2014, 12:19 PM
terrible... I've been buying feeder fish at petco for the last 8 years. talked to just about every employee working in the fish section. They love animals! specially dogs and cats.. but they don't know anything about fish. Most of them anyways...

Mark9
08/02/2014, 08:53 PM
I have defended my Petco in the past, but recently saw a new employee pour salt from a bag right into the sump, not even measuring, just eyeballing it and then reach into a tank to move a rock because she didn't like the tang hiding under it.

thenewguy997
08/02/2014, 09:59 PM
Poor fish, taken from the ocean forced to live in cubes

Wonton Soup
08/02/2014, 11:27 PM
It's Petco. I don't even maintain mediocre expectations when I go in there. Nevertheless, I've found they are not all like the conditions pictured above and I have some very healthy fish I purchased from Petco years ago.

In addition, I could take pictures similar to the ones posted in the scores of local fish stores I've visited that should be expected to have advanced knowledge and care protocols.

Fish get sick. Entire systems can become inundated with parasites and sometimes employees don't notice dead fish. Or they do notice and are busy at the moment, used to pulling dead fish on a regular basis, etc.

Unfortunately, it's just what happens when people turn animals into an industry for profit. Whatd'ya gonna do?

thenewguy997
08/03/2014, 12:45 AM
That is a very good point ^

My lfs has sick and dead fish as well, they get the dead fish out quock but theyre small family owned not a big busy store where they may be busy as said above

I think its up to us to bring that stuff to the caregivers attention and to educate them. It might not be our job but if we know better than hey. Im sure petco doesnt want sick fosh either, its bad for business

reepher315
08/03/2014, 05:49 AM
Unfortunately, it's just what happens when people turn animals into an industry for profit. Whatd'ya gonna do?

For sure.

Petco in my area is also no good... Little to no knowledge of salt water. I watched a mother and kid leave petco with a 20g tank salt and a tang... I could only imagine what happened...

swhobbie1
08/03/2014, 07:32 AM
I love to be able to buy supplies for my reef tank at a store I am already going to to buy dog food. I cannot resist checking out the marine tanks - which usually look like the pics which started this thread. Occasionally I have run into an employee who does have knowledge but limited by equipment and affected by others also caring for the same tanks. Where I am... even the LFS can improve - red slime in tanks, aipstasia going wild, corals for sale at top dollar with tissue loss or dying, corals with pests. And sometimes I see fish with ICK but significantly less than I see in petco. Recently I lost a male clownfish of a pair I owned for 6 years ... due to a fish I bought from petco and didn't QT. It looked ok ;-) It was a hard lesson for me - I will never put a fish in my tank again with out QT it regardless from where I buy it - even if it looks ok it may be sick without symptoms yet. Defintely petco (and some LFS) should improve their practices to reduce the number of sick, dying marine fish/inverts/corals or stop selling them.

RobH
08/03/2014, 07:51 AM
I like to browse Petco, and typically have a good experience, aside from the occasional dead fish. However, I was very disappointed the other day when I saw a carpet anemone completely flipped upside down in the sand and none of the employees seemed to care. Even after I pointed it out.

Greendarwin19
08/04/2014, 08:49 AM
I used to work there, but not for long. I soon quit because of how they cared (or lack there of) for their animals. I was a supervisor w/ my store manager backing me and I tried to do things the right way with all the animals including the fish, but soon was reprimanded by upper management and corporate for not doing things the Petco way.

Greendarwin19
08/04/2014, 09:54 AM
I even tried to approach it from a business aspect, I totaled the cost of the dead animals for a month over $1,000.00 and compared it to the next to $0 it would take to care for them properly and they refused. Instead they pulled me from animal care and replaced me with a Honduran who didn't speak English and made matters even worse.

kevinrf
08/04/2014, 10:32 AM
petco all around is a joke & expensive.

dustinkimpel
08/04/2014, 11:39 AM
petco all around is a joke & expensive.

Completely agree, I don't understand how they are making money with all their livestock dying off. Pretty sure the saltwater department is in the red. Unless they trick enough people into buying a nice pretty tang covered with rare white dots for their brand new 10 gallon tank and some reef crystals.

Reef Frog
08/04/2014, 11:52 AM
It's incomprehensible to me why a presumably profitable nationwide company would allow this state of affairs. Basic SW isn't rocket science - especially fish, common inverts & basic corals.

Those often young employees could certainly be trained on proper procedures. Many Fortune 1000 companies are quite good at large scale training programs and maintaining decent standards throughout their national and worldwide retail locations. Like food service for example.

From the business perspective, they have a PR black eye, are losing inventory and missing sales opportunities. If they can't improve for some reason or it's just not a profitable department that makes it be worth the effort & they see no blue sky, I wonder why they just don't get out of SW (live goods) altogether? Big companies exit business segments all the time when they realize they aren't any good at them or the return on investment is not attractive.

My local Petco is pretty bad too at SW fish (no corals & few inverts there) but the FW fish & plants look decent although it's the common bullet proof stuff. The occasional lizard cage looks clean, has food, lighting & heat. The parakeets look happy too but am no expert there for sure. Over all it's a well run store for a chain. Just can't figure out why they've dropped the ball with SW in most (but not all) locations.

Dmorty217
08/04/2014, 01:05 PM
Local petcos are a disgrace, much like your typical LFS. Petco.com on the other hand offers a 14 day guarantee, their fish come from tropical fish international, and priced lower than most anywhere

Greendarwin19
08/04/2014, 03:34 PM
On the Petco website the fish are referred to as "Product" ...enough said

OrQidz
08/04/2014, 09:38 PM
The pics are upsetting and it makes me very sad to see the fish in that condition. I'm not defending Petco - but if you had a snapshot of every step of the capture and shipping of these fish, how many sick, stressed and dead fish would you see? I'm not saying it's ok for any LFS or petco to have sick and dead fish in a tank, but just that this is kind of the reality of catching sensitive creatures in a tropical ocean and sending them all over the world (as cheaply as possible). Of course it could and should be done better, but how many gorgeous tangs swimming around a nice LFS came from shipping containers that didn't look that different from a petco tank? I think it's easy to forget the fish that didn't make it along the way.

Unfortunately, the various chain stores must be ok with the level of lifestock loss. My petco, which is pretty good as they go, has a whole tank of dying coral frags in various states of decay. Their corals just don't seem to sell, even when they are newly arrived and still look good. I think the $50 or so a frag puts off casual buyers, and if you know anything, you head to excellent LFS 30 min away and get a gorgeous healthy frag for that same $50.

OpenRoad
08/04/2014, 11:20 PM
We have a local PetSmart, same deal as PetCo, they use a networked series of tanks that are all on the same filtration system, so if something goes bad, it spreads to all tanks of similar water type. And true the employees no nothing about fish. The only thing I buy there are juvenile Koi for my outdoor pond.

xtlosx
08/05/2014, 06:55 AM
It's Petco. I don't even maintain mediocre expectations when I go in there. Nevertheless, I've found they are not all like the conditions pictured above and I have some very healthy fish I purchased from Petco years ago.

In addition, I could take pictures similar to the ones posted in the scores of local fish stores I've visited that should be expected to have advanced knowledge and care protocols.

Fish get sick. Entire systems can become inundated with parasites and sometimes employees don't notice dead fish. Or they do notice and are busy at the moment, used to pulling dead fish on a regular basis, etc.

++1 on this above. Our local petco isn't that bad, but there is a LFS semi-close by that has the worst looking fish with popeye, high prices, and they don't do a thing about it. Just because they are Petco doesn't inherently make them bad. They get a bad rap because they are a chain store, there are a lot of them and they are more visible than the small stores out there that many never venture into. Instead of slamming Petco constantly on hundreds of threads, just highlight general store practices. Ich is everywhere and if you really expect your LFS to solve all your ich and parasite problems, you have your bar set too high.

Fishfirst
08/05/2014, 08:17 AM
++1 on this above. Our local petco isn't that bad, but there is a LFS semi-close by that has the worst looking fish with popeye, high prices, and they don't do a thing about it. Just because they are Petco doesn't inherently make them bad. They get a bad rap because they are a chain store, there are a lot of them and they are more visible than the small stores out there that many never venture into. Instead of slamming Petco constantly on hundreds of threads, just highlight general store practices. Ich is everywhere and if you really expect your LFS to solve all your ich and parasite problems, you have your bar set too high.

That's the thing... they are a chain store. They do FAR more damage than your one LFS that is bad. Corporate is clueless about fish care in general, and do not give the tools for an experienced aquarist to make things better and even punish them if they try. Another issue is the way they devalue their fish. Devaluing the fish that they bring in by "working deals" with the wholesaler (they can do this because of their buying power) this encourages the wholesaler to "work deals" with the collector. The collector then "works deals" with the methods by which they collect with. Cyanide and other drugs make collecting fish much easier and more productive than using a hand net.
THAT is another problem with petco.

claireputput
08/06/2014, 11:46 AM
Hi, it is heart breaking to see the lack of care that these fish seem to be getting. I would like to say that the Norman Oklahoma Petco has a wonderful saltwater department.

Shawn O
08/06/2014, 04:38 PM
I visited a petco in Hanover, Ma that had a pretty good SW section and the guy working in it seemed pretty knowledgeable about the animals. The Petco in Quincy, Ma isn't too bad either, though some of the fish clearly had ich.

mcfa2403
08/07/2014, 08:50 AM
Petco.com SW fish typically drop ship from quality marine, so to those frustrated by their website I am confused. As for the stores themselves I agree that the condition of many of the stores and the direction from their corporate office is deplorable.

However, I strongly suggest that people be careful about getting too high and mighty when it comes to this industry until talking to a few wholesalers. Three separate wholesalers that I have been able to talk to in an informal setting point to the fact that most saltwater death happens in transit and before they ever hit the LFS. The estimated rate of fish death to survival from capture to being released at the LFS for the average fish is 3:1 and realistically much higher.

In one instance customs destroyed a shipment of over 1000 specimens due to the possibility that one specimen was an illegal collection. The bags were simply cut open and thrown away.

Furthermore each wholesaler said that their business was driven by Walmart and Petco sales and that without them they could not afford to be in business (Petsmart runs their own center). This isn't to say I am happy with the situation or that what the do is responsible but rather that rendering judgement in this hobby is not practical and for the most part non productive.

I try not to kid myself into believing what I do is environmentally ethical but I do my best to help others be responsible with the specimens that do make it. I wish that this hobby didn't harm the environment but at the same time I understand that every time I drive my car, buy property, flip a light switch, take a shower and so on I damage the environment and yet that doesn't seem to keep me from living my life.

Basically my point is that I find no reason to target one specific bad thing about a hobby that is not entirely moral and focus on it. As for responsible reefing I prefer to focus on captive breeding programs, aquaculturing, and creating reefs/fish tanks that thrive rather than just survive.

ajespo85
08/07/2014, 08:56 AM
I see Petco as an "adopt a pet" program. Most everything in there has seen better days. Honestly, if they have something I want, I'll get it, I'm saving that fishes life. Just QT the poor the thing.

befire
08/07/2014, 01:33 PM
:angryfire:The new PetCo in Lawton Oklahoma is absolutly terrible. The so called "Aquatic Expert" knows absolutly nothing about saltwater fish. All of their "corals" are all dead just sitting in a tank. Many of the fish are dead just rotting in the tanks, not to mention every single one of them has ich! That's right every saltwater fish in the store is coverd and has a very bad case of it. I managed to get some pictures of some of the fish without being too obvious since they were standing there watching me:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10435927_703947399677107_6417779447828644871_n.jpg?oh=090a1039cf68cfcbf9326b71aa4e8add&oe=5440E5C2&__gda__=1415192232_66ef5fd1148df5d9b0d35e61f88a8f38

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1604514_703947339677113_2164609958569431954_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10513459_703947476343766_476965145457736765_n.jpg

befire
08/07/2014, 02:14 PM
I have a question about your illegal picture's from Petco do you got the copy rights of them if not got luck ,by the way this young Man you talk about knows what he dose and says , he has multiple 100g/55g/45g/75g/40g/30g/29g etc.fresh and saltwater tanks for years, i always go and by my fish from him, very good mannered young man,by the way you even go there all the time and talk to him and ask him for help , so tell me, who don't know's any thing about fish,hmm looks like that person is you 29gallon makes you an expert i see,before putting something out on the web get your fact's straight and take responsibilities for your action,sounds to me you dishonest.

kevinrf
08/07/2014, 02:22 PM
I have a question about your illegal picture's from Petco do you got the copy rights of them if not got luck ,by the way this young Man you talk about knows what he dose and says , he has multiple 100g/55g/45g/75g/40g/30g/29g etc.fresh and saltwater tanks for years, i always go and by my fish from him, very good mannered young man,by the way you even go there all the time and talk to him and ask him for help , so tell me, who don't know's any thing about fish,hmm looks like that person is you 29gallon makes you an expert i see,before putting something out on the web get your fact's straight and take responsibilities for your action,sounds to me you dishonest.

Is English your first language? and did you just make your account to post on this thread?

befire
08/07/2014, 02:33 PM
:furious::furious::furious:The new PetCo in Lawton Oklahoma is absolutly terrible. The so called "Aquatic Expert" knows absolutly nothing about saltwater fish. All of their "corals" are all dead just sitting in a tank. Many of the fish are dead just rotting in the tanks, not to mention every single one of them has ich! That's right every saltwater fish in the store is coverd and has a very bad case of it. I managed to get some pictures of some of the fish without being too obvious since they were standing there watching me:

Completely agree, I don't understand how they are making money with all their livestock dying off. Pretty sure the saltwater department is in the red. Unless they trick enough people into buying a nice pretty tang covered with rare white dots for their brand new 10 gallon tank and some reef crystals.

befire
08/07/2014, 02:38 PM
Is English your first language? and did you just make your account to post on this thread?,no i have multiple, let me guess is yours, and no again, came a gross.

kevinrf
08/07/2014, 04:44 PM
,no i have multiple, let me guess is yours, and no again, came a gross.

It's very difficult to figure out what you are trying to say.

Fishfirst
08/08/2014, 11:42 AM
Lol copyright laws only pertain to images taken by the company... this is clearly taken by a cell phone.

gone fishin
08/08/2014, 08:12 PM
It has been awhile since a petco thread roused the masses to indignity. No matter where people purchase their livestock, if they do not QT then they are playing with a loaded gun.

reefgoddess808
08/09/2014, 02:57 PM
lol copyright laws only pertain to images taken by the company... This is clearly taken by a cell phone.

+1 lol

Fish Biscuit
08/11/2014, 03:12 PM
In one instance customs destroyed a shipment of over 1000 specimens due to the possibility that one specimen was an illegal collection. The bags were simply cut open and thrown away.

I don't know where this happened, but illegal wildlife is seized & given to a museum/aquarium/zoo. FWS here gives most if not all aquatic wildlife to the Shedd. Wildlife is not killed because it is not imported legally, I find it hard to believe this happened knowing how things work here in Chicago.

Fishfirst
08/11/2014, 07:34 PM
Then where are the Clipperton angelfish?

Unome
08/11/2014, 09:50 PM
I used to work there, but not for long. I soon quit because of how they cared (or lack there of) for their animals. I was a supervisor w/ my store manager backing me and I tried to do things the right way with all the animals including the fish, but soon was reprimanded by upper management and corporate for not doing things the Petco way.

I even tried to approach it from a business aspect, I totaled the cost of the dead animals for a month over $1,000.00 and compared it to the next to $0 it would take to care for them properly and they refused. Instead they pulled me from animal care and replaced me with a Honduran who didn't speak English and made matters even worse.I tried that once regarding their Bettas which they had in water that was almost BROWN.

I told the manager that keeping the animals water changed more frequently would lead to them living and being able to be sold(i.e. profit) versus dying(i.e. loss). I was given the old corporate spiel about their "procedures" concerning water changes and they were following company policy and "acceptable losses" and walked out.

Titans_Reef
08/12/2014, 01:50 AM
It just depends on the petco you go to, I have 2 in my area which 1 likes to over populate the tank with corals and coral eating fish such as puffers, triggers, and angels. The other one is actually nice and clean with the fish actually being placed in different tanks regarding their species. That one petco I went to with the over populated tanks had a trigger eating a "carpet nem" which when I told them they did move the nem to another tank but it was far gone that im sure it died the next day. When I told them it was a bubble tip and not a carpet, they looked at me like if I didnt know what I was talking about and then told me it was a true carpet anemone and it was stressed out so it had bubble tips. Even at my LFS sometimes when they get a new shippment of fish and corals, some fish do not make it. They keep fish in the tanks for about 3 days until they sell them because they want to fish to relaxe and be healthier when sold. When I saw a sun coral upside down in their frag tanks, I told one of the workers which he didnt hesitate to run staight back and place it back on its spot the right way. It just depends on the workers there at any place they sell fish. There was a LFS that I never go to since they do not manage their tanks at all but my buddy sent me a picture of bubble algae on a rock for sale for $14.99 when he went to get crickets for his frogs. It made me laugh as who would actually buy a rock covered with bubble algae but they did have a scoly for only $20 that looked like a bleeding apple and looked healthy but with my old lights I would of done more damage instead of saving it since it was 2 36" 4 bulb t-5 lights on my 125g which everything was doing fine. I mean, walmart has freshwater tanks that always have dead fish but no one every buys from them, atleast no one that knows what they are doing but petco usually has someone that knows what they are doing and quit because they cannot run the tanks how they want inorder to keep fish alive. All that people want is a job and if they can get one by lying about their qualifications then most likely they will get it and just say, "Well at least I didnt go over my total loss for the month."

bobpiker
08/12/2014, 06:14 AM
My local Petco seems to be pretty good. Although I have seen an occasional dead fish I think the trick is to get a fish within a day of or after its arrival on shipment day. Most of their tanks are plumbed together so sickness could easily spread quickly. But if you get a fish there and qt immediately I've found, so far, all have survived. I picked up an 8" green hadoni at mine 4 months ago and it not only survived but has thrived. Unlike most Petcos, from what I've read, mine has a young woman who seems to know her stuff and always asks, prior to have retrieved a fish for me, the size of my tank and my other inhabitants. Evidently, she's trying to be sure I'm prepared for a particular purchase. Plus, it's awfully convenient to pick up dog food at the same place. I wish, though, that they would label their fish such that people are better educated regarding their requirements. I can just imagine, on a day the young woman isn't working, when the customer buys a little sailfin tang and puts it in a 20 gallon. Petco, label your fish with descriptions.

Reeferz412
08/12/2014, 12:20 PM
The Petco I rarely go to for their freshwater selection has a nice SW section. When it comes to the care of these fish in their stores. It all comes down to ONE thing. The store associate who cares for these fish. I can talk to the store associate in that store and he will talk for hours about his passion and care for the livestock and maintaining the tanks from water changes to keeping the glass clean. He keeps his own fish and loves what he does at the store. It reflects on the merchandise and livestock he is charge of because I never ever see a dead fish in the tank. He also asked to keep an isolated section for fish "under observation" which he cares for and will not sell. Again, it all comes down to who cares for that section of the store and how much they care for the livestock.

toothybugs
08/12/2014, 01:06 PM
I even tried to approach it from a business aspect, I totaled the cost of the dead animals for a month over $1,000.00 and compared it to the next to $0 it would take to care for them properly and they refused. Instead they pulled me from animal care and replaced me with a Honduran who didn't speak English and made matters even worse.

I was in Columbus for a long while, which one did you work at? The one by the AMC theater by OSU?

Neebles
08/13/2014, 05:06 PM
Our local petco had an employee that actually tried to justify keeping betas in small tanks by saying "you can keep a beta alive by covering it with a paper towel and misting it with water every once in a while" no joke

Its.Evannn
08/14/2014, 02:07 AM
Our local petco had an employee that actually tried to justify keeping betas in small tanks by saying "you can keep a beta alive by covering it with a paper towel and misting it with water every once in a while" no joke

and thats why i won't support petco with anything besides buying food for my dogs. they can't keep animals of any sort responsibly.:mad:

ReachTheSky
08/14/2014, 03:47 AM
For the longest time, I was very pleased with my local Petco. The manager of their aquatic department was very knowledgable, courteous and caring. He even drew a visual representation of the nitrogen cycle, along with timetables, right on the SW display tanks to educate customers. I really liked that! He actually cared about his stock! Fish, inverts and corals appeared reasonably happy and healthy. My friends and I made many purchases from there and we were satisfied.

Well, all of that's changed. I haven't seen him in a long time which leads me to believe he left or was let go. That place now is a huge mess. Everything is crammed, tanks are absolutely filthy, dead fish are dime-a-dozen and the equipment looks like it's been downgraded to hell. There were at least a dozen frags and entire SPS colonies sitting under 2x CF lights that were floating 3 feet above the water line. All of them dead or dying, as you'd suspect but the new workers had no idea and were still trying to sell them! I asked why they got rid of the 8x T5HO fixture and replaced it with something so inadequate and they just stared at me looking dumbfounded. I suspect the old manager fought tooth and nail against this and was either fired or quit over it.

reefwiser
08/14/2014, 06:38 AM
At least are local PetsMart only carries freshwater fish.:)

dustinkimpel
08/21/2014, 07:03 AM
Re reading this.. sounds like it was pretty harsh. However, Their conditions can really be improved and the staff trained. I'm sure the guy running the fish department is running it to the best of his ability and training. He probably knows his stuff for fresh water systems as there wasn't appearing to be anything to be wrong with those. I came to the conclusion that he hasn't had the proper SW training or knowladge by asking some basic SW questions. The conditions in the tanks were just really terrible and it took me by surprise. This isn't a bash on the employee as much as PetCos practices.

syrinx
08/21/2014, 06:23 PM

This is true. I doubt the employee was suggesting it though! Truth be told when bettas were shipped from thailand years and years ago- some shippers did wrap them in wet paper and put several together in a air filled bag with little water. Again not advocating it- but it did work well. It is a interesting bit of history, and I hope the employee knew and told the entire story.

melvinakshay
08/21/2014, 09:57 PM
This is true. I doubt the employee was suggesting it though! Truth be told when bettas were shipped from thailand years and years ago- some shippers did wrap them in wet paper and put several together in a air filled bag with little water. Again not advocating it- but it did work well. It is a interesting bit of history, and I hope the employee knew and told the entire story.

I think the beta gets its oxygen from the outside air. Its somewhat like a lungfish in that aspect.

Clownen
08/21/2014, 11:24 PM
Everytime I go into Petco and check out the fish, it sickens me when I see a Mandarin Dragonet in a 10G cube with a piece of fake plant floating in it. Then I watched the employee try to feed him flake food. I continuously see this knowing that they would not survive. Stuff like that just kills me.

thenewguy997
08/22/2014, 02:54 AM
I feel bad for bettas, they sit in a tupperware CUP until theyre sold

I mean sure they hardly swim but cmon dude...

And its not just petco

I mean honestly if you think petco is bad you should see the BEEP that happens overseas

JoeSchmo615
09/02/2014, 09:14 PM

Pretty ridiculous. I am not trying to exaggerate, but if these large pet store chains choose to not adequately take care of their animals and only care about making profit then they are no different than some poacher killing an elephant for their tusk. I never go into those large pet store chains to buy fish so I couldn't tell you how the fish are doing at petco near my house looks, but maybe I will go scout it out tomorrow when I grab some dog food.

I don't understand how these large pet store chains can't have an employee who is trained in both freshwater and SW. Petsmart and Petco definitely have the money to send people to train their employees or even have an employee that is knowledgeable in SW to strictly be in charge of taking care of the fish at multiple locations in an couple mile radius. I can think of at least 3 petsmarts in a 15 mile radius from my house. There is no excuse for your fish population to be dying out a pet store because they werent being adequately taken care of. If they were taking dogs out front and shooting them people would have something to say then.

They could even have regional conferences where a store would send one or two employees to be educated in how to adequately take care of all the tanks. If they weren't strictly about making their money they would have done this already.

syrinx
09/02/2014, 11:07 PM
buying food and supplies at these stores subsidizes their marine section. It can be a loss leader if something else pays the bills. Of course people would rather shop there to save money on pet food and supplies, and then complain about the animal care. Spend more elsewhere, and ignore a problem you cannot solve any other way.

VonUberReefer
09/03/2014, 12:33 PM
Petco in my area is ok sometimes, but rarely

Kyle954
09/03/2014, 01:53 PM
Not trying to start a riot in here but I went to a petco in boca raton (south florida) over the weekend and was quite surprised at their livestock, very healthy looking.

Have seen some LFS around me with dead fish all over the place.

six of one and half a dozen of the other
:beer:

SnoopyDaPimp
09/03/2014, 03:41 PM
The PetCo in Peoria, AZ by the Cardinals stadium isn't too bad. Staff has always been helping especially when I was starting my first tank. For my FOWLR tank I bought probably half of my fish from them. However, I would go in Wednesday morning when the shipment came in and picked the fish out of the box before the bags they were shipped in got opened.

lutz123
09/12/2014, 10:54 AM
Too bad. Our local petco is pretty decent. I bought a fish there once and never had issues.

phillrodrigo
09/14/2014, 06:36 PM
It really all depends on who works there. The one near me had a girl who knew enough. Tanks looked fine kept a decent mix of fish and then started a frag tank and a qt tank for sick fish. Then she left and the new person orders the weirdest stuff that no one buys for a reef alot of fish only fish multiple kinds of triggers non reef safe wrasses parrot fish groupers. The one guy said he put a small clown in one of the tanks and the panther grouper just ate it. He actually thought it was funny. The part I really don't understand is why all there freshwater tanks look so good but there salt not so much

that Fish Guy
09/14/2014, 11:22 PM
It really all depends on who works there. The one near me had a girl who knew enough. Tanks looked fine kept a decent mix of fish and then started a frag tank and a qt tank for sick fish. Then she left and the new person orders the weirdest stuff that no one buys for a reef alot of fish only fish multiple kinds of triggers non reef safe wrasses parrot fish groupers. The one guy said he put a small clown in one of the tanks and the panther grouper just ate it. He actually thought it was funny. The part I really don't understand is why all there freshwater tanks look so good but there salt not so much

There is a lot more to learn about Saltwater than Freshwater.

I have been doing this for 5 Years and spend hours and hours on forums like this and still have a ton to learn.

I did Freshwater for 20 Years and never did anything on the internet.

I never even tested my water once in 20 years and had no problems.

Reefing is a lot more demanding.

I think that most of these workers would not put in the time to learn.

Plus you would have to do it at home and not get paid for it.

You truly need to be passionate about saltwater to be successful in my opinion.

Not so in Freshwater.

MDreefer301
09/15/2014, 12:13 AM
I went to petco befire and the guy tried to sell me a condy anemone only he told me it was a candy anemone because it looked like candy lol... what a dumb***

MDreefer301
09/15/2014, 12:18 AM
I also remember one time they had a live rock covered in purple coralline algae and the sign said the live rock was 10 bucks. I tried to get it but the guy working the fish section came over and argued with me saying it was a coral so it was gonna cost more lol... Another dumb***

fishies7
09/15/2014, 08:16 PM
As far as Petcos go, they are very hit or miss. If you find a store with a fish person with a passion for marine fish, they can be quite good. Out local store salt section was in shambles for more than a year...I am taking no lights on an entire system for nearly 6 months, half dead fish, etc. Then they got in a guy who made the saltwater department his pet project, and now it's one of the store's best money makers. Fish come and go so quickly that I rarely get what I want because I believe in letting a fish get settled and start eating before uprooting it again... The few fish I have gotten have done extremely well!

Northside Reef
09/15/2014, 09:28 PM
The PetCo in Minnetonka MN. is a very good store and if you are from this area and are avoiding it because of a misconception that all PetCo's are created equal you would be missing out.

MinnFish
09/15/2014, 10:32 PM
The PetCo in Minnetonka MN. is a very good store and if you are from this area and are avoiding it because of a misconception that all PetCo's are created equal you would be missing out.

I totally agree. Manager is very helpful and knowledgable. And, will order whatever you want.

TheAngelfish
09/15/2014, 10:36 PM
The Petco at pebble creek AZ in good year is my good way of getting fish. The fish are on good shape, but like every other petco they can keep most fish and can't keep some. For some reason the powder blue tangs are eating every thing, even better I got a 5 inch queen angel a year ago, and it was only $40! :dance:Almost every-one who works there has at least one marine fish tank. The only bad thing is that once a while a fish is sick... Other than that its the best IMO.

Funkateer_1
09/16/2014, 10:42 AM
Then where are the Clipperton angelfish?

Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Walked passed a tank and saw a couple. Looked like a fusilier then my jaw dropped.

http://i60.*******.com/260ztlk.jpg

Also Fish and Game will seize and kill your coral. Happened to all my Sympodium before it was legal, used to be labeled as 'cevera'. didn't fly.

Also Petco Sucks.

sharkboy99999
09/16/2014, 10:45 AM
My petco is the best they have frag tank same Ora corals

MathiasM.
09/16/2014, 03:14 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but do stores like Petco do not get visited by some kind of vets, the city or state sends?

syrinx
09/16/2014, 08:14 PM
depends. In my state the dept of agriculture visits a few times a year to make sure the animals are being cared for. The chain stores around here are of similar quality to the mom and pop stores- pretty good.

billsreef
09/17/2014, 05:52 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but do stores like Petco do not get visited by some kind of vets, the city or state sends?

Most states and cities have no such requirements. In the ones that do, don't expect that visit to be by someone that truly knows aquatics.

Spyderturbo007
09/17/2014, 06:24 AM
I feel bad for bettas, they sit in a tupperware CUP until theyre sold

I mean sure they hardly swim but cmon dude...

I hate seeing that too. As for not swimming, that's not true at all. I have one in a 12g Fluval and he swims all day long. So did my last Betta. Sometimes I think I should get him a larger tank. :fish2:

MathiasM.
09/17/2014, 01:12 PM
Most states and cities have no such requirements. In the ones that do, don't expect that visit to be by someone that truly knows aquatics.

Ah okay. So it's all up to the people working there to care for the animals the right way.

tkeracer619
09/17/2014, 05:57 PM
Man you should have seen them the day I got their net out and started moving fish around/doing regular maintenance. I played ignorant ;) Good times!

This shirt has been printed a few times...
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/758x333q90/133/shirtgotbanneddg9.jpg

Shawi
09/17/2014, 06:20 PM
Went to Palm Springs Petco today to get a nitrate test kit and was surprised at what I saw. The tanks were pristine. No dead fish, or any sick ones as far as I could tell. Even their freshwater minnow feeder tank with hundreds of fish looked clean. Can't speak about the water quality/parameters but clearly they are putting in some effort in this area. 50 DKP minus for the beta wall though.

Astongt
09/19/2014, 05:49 PM
i was just in petco last weekend in NY. Not one fish looked healthy. all covered in spots and half dead. Just felt bad for them all

Fish Ed
09/19/2014, 07:36 PM
You would not believe what you'll see in Asian countries(most). Knowing how easy it is to obtain corals, fish, inverts, etc. in those areas due to close connections, the livestock are usually not cared for because they know they can get more easily and in large bulk cheap unlike US where importation is expensive, long and have many restrictions. Therefore care in the US or almost anywhere else in this matter would be better compared to countries with closer source. Go to south East Asian fish stores , their fish and corals are usually horribly kept. Gotta come on the first day to get the good healthy ones or from other reefers ofcourse.

I've actually talked to workers in a chain fish store in south east Asia. He told me it's not uncommon for more than several fish die a day in their store, with no remorse. A DAY. And that's just for the marine fish.

This is mostly chain fish stores, just want to state that out because I do not want to generalize all of them as some are very good.

Ryannn
09/19/2014, 10:26 PM
I think Petcos are pretty hit and miss, but every one I have ever been to has never had adequate lighting to keep the corals they have in their tanks.

I'm actually from OK, too. The one in Stillwater is pretty good, the guy who runs the Saltwater section is sharp and actually knows stuff. He really does make the best of what he has to work with.

But one of the Petcos in Tulsa has an awful saltwater section, but the other one is well maintained. So I really think it is touch and go.

vair
09/19/2014, 10:50 PM
Didn't even read past the forth or fifth post. Support your local shops, not the box stores.

that Fish Guy
09/20/2014, 12:12 AM
Didn't even read past the forth or fifth post. Support your local shops, not the box stores.

+1

Support the LFS

Code4
09/20/2014, 10:50 PM
+1

Support the LFS

I truly try to. I take them my extra zoanthids. But they never have anything! Not even one fish last time. No pods, ever. You who live where there are choices are very fortunate. The gal who is in charge of the marine fish in my Petco store knows hardly anything. But she is trying. Sadly tonight while in petco I noticed all the tanks had sick or dead fish. :(

Shelley

dustinkimpel
09/22/2014, 01:21 PM
I just feel if your going to have a saltwater department you need to pay the person taking care of it enough money for it to be worth their time. If someone is only getting paid minimum wage to run saltwater systems on that scale, not to mention do everything else the store demands, of course they aren't going to put a whole lot of effort into it.

matty0206
09/22/2014, 02:23 PM
Not all Petco's are created equally. This is at a Petco in Tacoma where a member of our local forum on Facebook works, better than some saltwater stores.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/mattmclemore/10372195_10152016730881207_3883609828449389895_n_zps0b7efaa7.jpg (http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/mattmclemore/media/10372195_10152016730881207_3883609828449389895_n_zps0b7efaa7.jpg.html)

syrinx
09/22/2014, 05:00 PM
If all petcos were like this, people would complain about them flooding the market with cheap frags-hurting mom and pop stores etc

that Fish Guy
09/22/2014, 08:43 PM
If all petcos were like this, people would complain about them flooding the market with cheap frags-hurting mom and pop stores etc

I am confused.

What is your point?

Don't Frag Swaps already do that?

Force4000
09/23/2014, 08:43 PM
I have a few pet worlds around my area in WI and can say they do a pretty good job with keeping there saltwater tanks in check etc. I have bought a few fish and corals without any problems and one time I went in and they had every tank listed as ICH invested and would not sell any of the livestock until they resolved the issue. It was unfortunate to see but at the same time I was glad they were informing people of the problem.

Bainreese
09/23/2014, 10:52 PM
Not trying to start a riot in here but I went to a petco in boca raton (south florida) over the weekend and was quite surprised at their livestock, very healthy looking.

Have seen some LFS around me with dead fish all over the place.

six of one and half a dozen of the other
:beer:

No it really isn't. When you shop at a chain store like Petco only .42 cents of every dollar you spend stays in your community. When you shop from a local retailer .70 of every dollar you spend stays in your community. Locally owned businesses pay a much better wage on average than a chain store. Local stores are 250% more likely to support local causes and events.

It is very much NOT equal.

usmc121581
09/24/2014, 07:21 AM
I have defended my Petco in the past, but recently saw a new employee pour salt from a bag right into the sump, not even measuring, just eyeballing.

Almost every LFS store around me does this with there setups. I only knew this because I either worked at them or knew the owner.

I dont dump straight into my sump but I am very good at eye balling how much salt needs to go in to make it the correct salinity.

Also its pretty hard to support your LFS when everyone on of them shut down, even good ones that took care of there animals.

FinzAquatics
09/24/2014, 08:23 AM
I think the issue with Petco is that the quality and level of care varies drastically from store to store. I have worked for multiple different Petco locations in the past and have personally seen the care vary from store to store. If the individual stores truly followed the policy and procedures that Petco has put in place they would all be great locations for live fish. They get their fish from the exact same vendors as your LFs, if not better suppliers. ORA, Quality Marine, Etc

The issue lies with who has been hired to run these departments at the individual store. If the store does not have a hobbyist, or someone that truly cares about fish, the quality will tend to dip as a result because their ownership of the department, or lack there of..

Being a large corporate company, Petco does not typically pay much for their hourly employees which hinders their ability to find/hire hobbyists but they have begun developing and hiring "aquatics specialist" that can receive a higher level of pay BUT the stores still don't typically get hobbyist that want to join the company. Petco has such a bad stigma among hobbyist that draws these potential applicants away from their stores.

Its a shame that the "good" Petco locations get shadowed by the poorly run Petcos because if they all were run per expectation they would/could be a good resource for hobbyist to get their livestock/supplies from.

Fortunately 2 of the 3 Petcos in my area are being run efficiently and have well run fish departments who I trust BUT that third store is horribly run which again overshadows the efforts that these good stores have made.

With time hopefully the company can continue to find good employees and work on the quality of their stores slowly to earn a level of trust back from many of us hobbyist.. I would just not completely discredit every Petco location for the lack of care of the individual stores that some of you may have in your area. Its a shame that the managers of those stores have not been held accountable for their departments.

usingthejohn
09/24/2014, 08:29 AM
way i see it, Petco is just like going to Wal-Mart. Sure you may find some deals, but the majority of them may simply be there to collect a check.

09/24/2014, 12:28 PM
We have two in my town. Once is great the other 15 min away completly sucks and looks just like the pictures you posted.

sharklover567
09/25/2014, 07:58 PM
Poor tank,Ill give it a week if its lucky

sharklover567
09/25/2014, 08:00 PM
For sure.

Petco in my area is also no good... Little to no knowledge of salt water. I watched a mother and kid leave petco with a 20g tank salt and a tang... I could only imagine what happened...

Poor tang,Id give it a week if its lucky.

shamus
09/27/2014, 02:51 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/27/cf009efbc4ec8a77679057845fe3475a.jpg

Saw this clown at petco last night. It had a tail fin deformity. Check it out. They still wanted premium $$ for a fish that should have never made it to the store.

Betta132
09/27/2014, 07:50 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/27/cf009efbc4ec8a77679057845fe3475a.jpg

Saw this clown at petco last night. It had a tail fin deformity. Check it out. They still wanted premium $$ for a fish that should have never made it to the store.
I dunno, someone would probably buy it if it can survive. It appears to have a section missing out of its body, but it doesn't look like it would have much problem living. In fact, I bet you could get a bit more for one of 'em that's unique- a mutant of sorts.

Tweaked
09/28/2014, 04:30 AM
Not all Petco's are created equally. This is at a Petco in Tacoma where a member of our local forum on Facebook works, better than some saltwater stores.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/mattmclemore/10372195_10152016730881207_3883609828449389895_n_zps0b7efaa7.jpg (http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/mattmclemore/media/10372195_10152016730881207_3883609828449389895_n_zps0b7efaa7.jpg.html)

Whoa, that puts into perspective.

ReefKeep66
09/28/2014, 12:54 PM
I asked a petco aquatic "expert" what water paramters they keep including salinity he said their good. So I can go ahead and assume with all the ick and dead fish their indeed not "good"

CODE3EMT
09/28/2014, 04:46 PM
I just left my local Petco an hour ago in Modesto, CA. 4" Juv. Koran dead at the bottom of tank, asking price was $59.99 I believe. All their clown fish have a white dust look and clamped fins. Most Saltwater stock is thin and emaciated and what appears to be victims of HLLE, over crowded tanks, I would say 10 gallons each for their saltwater system which is all linked........ so when 1 tank goes bad, POOF! they all go bad. I don't give a hoot what anyone says in this thread.....Petco is the worst by far if your looking to buy marine livestock. Their Freshwater fish look absolutely amazing however. Stores like this need to stick to what they know best. Dog & Cat food, Parakeets, Mice, Hamsters, Bearded Dragons, Bettas, Goldfish, and kitty litter.

Aerixx
09/30/2014, 09:38 AM
Mine had a good saltwater setup for a whole, obviously someone knew what they where doing, but he left and it went to crap so fast, they no longer have a saltwater setup fortunately, if they cared enough once an employee left they would outsource and pay someone to train a good employee how to take care of it, we all know it's not hard, just Time and knowledge

tigerjace
10/01/2014, 02:15 PM
Petco and Petsmart are horrible. I will never buy live stock from them! Majority of the time, you will know more about fish, especially saltwater, than the employees. Employees there are the type that will give you wrong information.

ichthyogeek
10/08/2014, 08:23 PM
Do any of you in general help out people shopping at Petco? For example, if you see an employee very obviously misleading a potential hobbyist, do you interrupt the employee? I know that I do it, and that some might call it rude, but I feel that this is a case of helpful disruption. Of course, for the actually knowledgeable employees at chain stores, I mean no offense to you.

SteelGluer
10/08/2014, 08:37 PM
My petco here is good left 2 days ago with a 5" foxface for 19.99.

hart24601
10/09/2014, 12:25 AM
I could walk in our two lfs at anytime and take photos way worse than those, sadly enough.

tigerjace
10/17/2014, 12:13 PM
Not all petco are bad when it comes to saltwater but majority of them are. And sadly this expands nationwide. I've lived in Va and now Ca and they seem to have the same issue. The caretaker is just an associate that works there and some if not most are not even in the hobby. They just have general knowledge where they can get by. I've found associates making up there own answers just because they don't want to look ignorant and they feel like they should have an answer for you. I don't even bother asking for help. It's like this, most people do not go to walmart to buy tools, they go to homedepot. Go to a fishstore that specializes in fish if you need fish, go to petco if you need dog/catfood!

syrinx
10/17/2014, 06:05 PM
and buying the dogfood subsidizes the behavior you dislike. You should spend a little more on dogfood at the place you buy your fish, and help them stay in business. Back up your beliefs with your dollars.

AdamNC
10/17/2014, 06:58 PM
We have 2 Petco's close by, one in Kernersville and one in Greensboro. I will NEVER buy any livestock from either. Ich covered salt fish, dead fish, anemones bleached more then an undershirt and cyno everywhere. I once asked who the fish guy was to an employee so I could ask him why his saltwater section looks like it needs to be nuked. Her excuse was "oh he's been on vacation for the past week". I told her then he needs to be fired because there is no way the tanks got that bad in a week. Not to mention who was his replacement?

that Fish Guy
10/18/2014, 12:00 AM
We have 2 Petco's close by, one in Kernersville and one in Greensboro. I will NEVER buy any livestock from either. Ich covered salt fish, dead fish, anemones bleached more then an undershirt and cyno everywhere. I once asked who the fish guy was to an employee so I could ask him why his saltwater section looks like it needs to be nuked. Her excuse was "oh he's been on vacation for the past week". I told her then he needs to be fired because there is no way the tanks got that bad in a week. Not to mention who was his replacement?

Good help is hard to find.

If you are so upset Why didn't you offer to be his replacement then?

You would get the department back in tip top shape and then people here would not complain.

foundnemo11
10/18/2014, 07:19 AM
buying food and supplies at these stores subsidizes their marine section. It can be a loss leader if something else pays the bills. Of course people would rather shop there to save money on pet food and supplies, and then complain about the animal care. Spend more elsewhere, and ignore a problem you cannot solve any other way.

I don't see the point of spending a dime here other than dollar gallon sale.

All of their equipment is junk and fish food is cheap enough where I'd even spend double do go somewhere else

swhobbie1
10/18/2014, 07:48 AM
i could walk in our two lfs at anytime and take photos way worse than those, sadly enough.

+1

that Fish Guy
10/18/2014, 11:43 PM
I don't see the point of spending a dime here other than dollar gallon sale.

All of their equipment is junk and fish food is cheap enough where I'd even spend double do go somewhere else

True but also Livestock is the most profitable part of the store (After Services).

Markups are huge (On Freshwater Fish anyways) I am not sure on saltwater.

A fish that they sell for 3.00 costs between 0.10 and 0.30 for the store to buy.

So even if a lot die they still will make a lot of money off Livestock so I am sure that they do not really care (as a Company anyway) I feel that most employees have a natural love for animals otherwise they would not be there.

I think the biggest problem is lack of training, lack of funding, and corporate policy.

Corporate policy is the worst.

Everything is followed to a tee.

Even if you move fish because you know there are problems you get into trouble.

The LFS does not have corporate ties so when they see a fish getting picked on they move it because it is common sense.

They are free to do what they want not what the Rich guys in Corporate tell them to do.

It is really quite silly but it is what it is.

Shop your LFS.

foundnemo11
10/19/2014, 06:47 AM
True but also Livestock is the most profitable part of the store (After Services).

A fish that they sell for 3.00 costs between 0.10 and 0.30 for the store to buy.

So even if a lot die they still will make a lot of money off Livestock so I am sure that they do not really care (as a Company anyway) I feel that most employees have a natural love for animals otherwise they would not be there.

I think the biggest problem is lack of training, lack of funding, and corporate policy.

The LFS does not have corporate ties so when they see a fish getting picked on they move it because it is common sense.

They are free to do what they want not what the Rich guys in Corporate tell them to do.

Shop your LFS.
Your right. They don't care ( the top dogs that you never see) because all that matters to them is that their bank account keeps growing to an obscene number. just about all big corporations are the same. That's why I try not to help them at all, but putting my money in the local guys pocket probably still ends up in the big dogs bank account

clownkid
10/19/2014, 09:24 AM
my petco is always good exept the betta wall i breed bettas and if i see a sick betta i ask the manager if i can take it home and i got some preatty good resulsts of keeping them alive and the saltwater is always good exepet the frag tanks

FinzAquatics
10/21/2014, 05:37 PM

Not completely true. The store in my area is constantly moving fish around with no consequences. I have been present while a "big wig" was in the store, whom was also encouraging the employee to move fish around saying "what if you moved him into this tank with these..."

And the markup on salt is the same as your LFS because they get the fish from the same place. ORA, Quality Marine, Sustainable Aquatics, A+M.... All the same places your LFS does.. The only difference is they may get an extra 10-20% discount due the volume of livestock they order nationally across these companies.. But Petco gives back the discount by offering cheaper prices on most livestock..

I can always find healthy fish available at my local petco that are just as healthy as our LFS and they are always a few dollars cheaper. Still captive bred (clowns, dottybacks, etc).. Most of their corals are from ORA which is a top notch wholesaler..

Unome
10/21/2014, 09:37 PM

So even if a lot die they still will make a lot of money off Livestock so I am sure that they do not really care (as a Company anyway).

Corporate policy is the worst.BINGO!!!! We have a winner.

I was pretty much told that they expected "acceptable losses" at a PetSmart where the Bettas were all in brown water they only changed about once a week "according to company policy". :eek1:

When I tried to explain that changing the water more often would allow for more fish to survive and be sold(i.e. profit for the store), I was given the "acceptable losses" spiel by the manager. :angryfire:

I could not understand why someone would want to lose a chance to make a profit by just changing the "corporate policy". How long does it take to swap out water in those little Betta cups? :(

jeffdenney
10/21/2014, 11:56 PM
Mines pretty sketchy. Havent seen any ich yet.. dead fish for sure.. staff is terrible... betta wall is a death camp..

thenewguy997
10/24/2014, 02:39 PM
This is the way capitalism works dont cry about it

Adam G
10/26/2014, 05:31 PM
We have a great Petco in our area. The manager is a great guy and Petco supports our local fish club. It is too bad that all of them are not like that.

I wonder what the statistics are on fish survival in the hobby as a whole. If you figure out of 100 fish captured on our oceans reefs how many make it into the hobbiests tank and out of those how many make it a year? I think the number would be shockingly low.

I personally feel that big corporations are not evil. Even in the Petco case, they factor in fish loss as part of the business. Now you can argue that 10% is acceptable or 20%, or 30% is too high, or whatever you think. From Petco's perspective the lower the loss the higher the profit so I am sure that they would love to see the number as low as possible. However, there is a happy medium where what they spend on employee training and experience levels out ways more losses and I am sure they have a target number that allows them to make a profit while keeping losses in check.

I would like to see 100% at the stores personally, but I know that can't happen. I would like to see 100% survival rate in my tank, and although I am close, I know that will never happen either.

Soopabruva1
10/26/2014, 05:39 PM

I go to the one in Greensboro all the time. Have bought several fish over the past few years and never had a problem. Guess it just depends on when you go.

909_Reefer
10/26/2014, 11:11 PM

Shop your LFS.

Being a former employee of Petsmart, Petco, and a very well run LFS. The markup on fish is very very reasonable considering the cost of keeping these animals alive and healthy. Even neon tetras cost .67 cents each.
In my Petsmart and Petco days I've moved fish due to incompatibilities many times. I was typically praised for noticing such problems. Both companies have dedicated areas for sick animals, though Petco offers nothing but a not for sale sign for the fish.
In Petco's case they need someone in corporate who knows enough about fish to create good policies. The policies in place are made very simple, thus they are mildly effective. This is because they need even the least knowledgeable associate to help.
Unfortunately management needs to care more about the care of fish. It should not come down to the "Aquatic Specialist"
It is true that Petco and your LFS will typically use a few of the same vendors. Though I believe Petco is sent the sickly fish.
IME the big wigs at Petco aren't as evil as you think...

that Fish Guy
10/27/2014, 01:07 AM
Being a former employee of Petsmart, Petco, and a very well run LFS. The markup on fish is very very reasonable considering the cost of keeping these animals alive and healthy. Even neon tetras cost .67 cents each.
In my Petsmart and Petco days I've moved fish due to incompatibilities many times. I was typically praised for noticing such problems. Both companies have dedicated areas for sick animals, though Petco offers nothing but a not for sale sign for the fish.
In Petco's case they need someone in corporate who knows enough about fish to create good policies. The policies in place are made very simple, thus they are mildly effective. This is because they need even the least knowledgeable associate to help.
Unfortunately management needs to care more about the care of fish. It should not come down to the "Aquatic Specialist"
It is true that Petco and your LFS will typically use a few of the same vendors. Though I believe Petco is sent the sickly fish.
IME the big wigs at Petco aren't as evil as you think...

I worked at PetSmart for a Year and a Half.

I unpacked the Fish.

Cost was 10 to 20 Cents on the Dollar.

A 1.99 Fish cost 0.20 a 2.99 Fish 0.30 etc.

Neon Tetras did not cost 0.67 they cost 0.10

And nobody moved anything around.

A Co-Worker of Mine moved some fish and she got scolded because it was against the planogram and against company policy.

One time my Manager got scolded because the District Manager came in and the Reptiles were not exactly like the picture in the Book.

They had to have a certain hide like in the picture.

He told the District Manager who knew nothing about Animals (Nothing in Pet Care anyways) that those pictures were 10 years old and that there were none of those in the store to place in the Habitats (Otherwise he would have done it) and no way to order more since they were discontinued (Clearly not my managers or anybody else fault in our store).

The District Manager subracted points from his D.O.G. anyways stating that was the company policy and there was nothing he could do.

How Silly is that!

mwilliams62
10/27/2014, 10:54 AM
It is not all Petco's that have dead fishes in their tanks I have seen many major LFS here in HOuston that have dead livestock in their tanks and do nothing about it.

syngraves
10/27/2014, 11:54 AM
petco by me has a very knowledgeable fish "expert" that keeps the tank in top shape. freshwater section is significantly better looking but the salt section. id never buy fish or coral from petco even though they look relatively healthy most of the time. seen bouts of nasty ick hit there tanks every so often. compared to the LFS i go to, petco has nothing on them lol.

banjowalker
10/29/2014, 11:09 AM
The petco in hickory, NC is actually a pretty decent store. I've spoke with their fish "expert" and I never feel like they know enough, but as far as care for the fish their tanks are always clean and never have overstocked or mismatched stock in the tanks. Their live rock is absolutely beautiful, and their corals always look very healthy. I haven't ever seen one that didn't there. I will be purchasing some of my stock of fish and corals from this petco because I don't have any lfs around me (that im aware of) that actually have quality saltwater products to sell. I will definitely be getting some of my LR there because they have great looking pieces that are covered in coraline. I guess all petcos are not created equal.

Gandolfe
10/29/2014, 12:01 PM
support your local shops huh? well I have one that has new owners that have no clue... All the employees that have been there for years except a few have quit, the prices jumped, I went in last week and they were cycling a tank with damsels, they took a bunch of live rock from a customer to sell that was covered in aptasia and were selling it at $5.99 a pound, there tanks had multiple dead fish in them, one even had a flame angel dead and covered in hermits picking it apart.... another store near me has a live rock and coral tank that has every inch of the rock and most of the corals covered in cyano. So it's not just PETCO that sucks. I live near Tampa,Fl.

OceanWolf
10/29/2014, 12:43 PM
My Petco is also great in Morgan Hill, CA.

Yes, they are experts like Neptunes, but tanks are claen and fish are healty.

Reef_Me
11/05/2014, 07:09 AM
Do any of you in general help out people shopping at Petco? For example, if you see an employee very obviously misleading a potential hobbyist, do you interrupt the employee? I know that I do it, and that some might call it rude, but I feel that this is a case of helpful disruption. Of course, for the actually knowledgeable employees at chain stores, I mean no offense to you.

Lol I do this.... I don't interrupt the people at Petco but if I hear some misleading info I will definitely tell the customer otherwise. The Petco near me is filled with folks my age (early 20s) and the aquatics director is rarely in. I saw a clown trigger the other day.. in a 10 gallon... Wish I had the Petco from Tacoma!

c0rocad
11/05/2014, 08:53 AM
According to Glassdoor the average wage of a PetCo "Aquatic Specialist" is $11 an hour,They are not full time, working on average 34 hours a week. That's barely a livable wage let alone enough to support a Hobby like Reef keeping

People can rightfully complain about the treatment of the animals in these stores but don't forget to look at the employees as well who may also be "mistreated"

I read this thread and I noticed a pretty common story about how one store had great tanks and a fish expert who was on top of his game then he leaves and the store goes to hell. This is because someone who has the intelligence and motivation to keep a wall of fish tanks clean and healthy is the type of person who will not put up with being paid $11 an hour. He can find a new job much more easily.

The truth is these big box stores from Petsmart to Walmart all hire people with no schooling or skills and you get what you pay for. The ones they do hire who show motivation,aptitude and knowledge either leave for a better paying job or get promoted.

The employee turn over rate for retail in America is 67% and it costs $3500 to train a $10 an hour retail employee so companies will actually go out of their way to hire people who have little to no other options and will stay the longest. They are not hiring for the welfare of the animals in fact it's quite the opposite.

It's a fine line between hiring a drug addict who won't show up or steal from you and hiring a single mom who needs this paycheck so she will work overtime. Neither of them give two shits about the care of the animals they just need a paycheck.

Tldr; Shop Local anything if you can, People care when they have something invested, If you can't shop online..

p.s Sorry my first post was a rant It's nice to meet you all.

mcozad829
11/05/2014, 09:07 AM
According to Glassdoor the average wage of a PetCo "Aquatic Specialist" is $11 an hour,They are not full time, working on average 34 hours a week. That's barely a livable wage let alone enough to support a Hobby like Reef keeping

People can rightfully complain about the treatment of the animals in these stores but don't forget to look at the employees as well who may also be "mistreated"

I read this thread and I noticed a pretty common story about how one store had great tanks and a fish expert who was on top of his game then he leaves and the store goes to hell. This is because someone who has the intelligence and motivation to keep a wall of fish tanks clean and healthy is the type of person who will not put up with being paid $11 an hour. He can find a new job much more easily.

The truth is these big box stores from Petsmart to Walmart all hire people with no schooling or skills and you get what you pay for. The ones they do hire who show motivation,aptitude and knowledge either leave for a better paying job or get promoted.

The employee turn over rate for retail in America is 67% and it costs $3500 to train a $10 an hour retail employee so companies will actually go out of their way to hire people who have little to no other options and will stay the longest. They are not hiring for the welfare of the animals in fact it's quite the opposite.

It's a fine line between hiring a drug addict who won't show up or steal from you and hiring a single mom who needs this paycheck so she will work overtime. Neither of them give two shits about the care of the animals they just need a paycheck.

Tldr; Shop Local anything if you can, People care when they have something invested, If you can't shop online..

Impressive first post! Welcome to RC

accordsirh22
11/05/2014, 12:54 PM
very true.

thats why i avoid big box/corporate stuff like the plague. no petsmart, walmart, petco. they all suck, i'd rather give my money to their competitors. of course, fish wise, i have a store, so i can get whatever i need anyways

Reefer140
11/05/2014, 02:56 PM
The 2 Petcos in my area are up to par with our LFS if not better. Healthier fish, cheaper prices

alton
11/06/2014, 06:01 AM
I am giving there online store one more chance on a Purple Tang. They messed up on a Red Sea Regal Angelfish with taking my order but not having one to ship out so I never got one. I hope they do not do the same with the PT?

Dmorty217
11/06/2014, 06:20 PM
If you don't like petco.com (tropical fish international or cis holdings) you buy from LA/DD and pay a premium. Or you can find a wholesaler from another country talk to them and spend 1500$-2500$ and eat 5% loss on dead fish and try and keep the 20-40 other fish alive long enough to get them to people who ordered with you or into a large tank and hope you can get everyone eating and healthy/disease free, which isn't as easy as it sounds...

Dmorty217
11/06/2014, 06:21 PM
Also there are PLENTY of LFS that are as bad or worse than your local petco

Reefer140
11/06/2014, 07:37 PM
Also there are PLENTY of LFS that are as bad or worse than your local petco

Completely agree. Especially in my area.

ChelseaRanee
11/07/2014, 04:14 AM
I'm the head of the fish department for a chain store in New Zealand. We don't do saltwater though. I get minimum wage (about $11.60 NZD after tax) and work 32.5 hours a week. I then spent about 10 hours on top of this (unpaid) doing research and trying to improve the systems as well as creating information sheets for the rest of the staff to get their fish knowledge up to par. If that wasn't enough I did a year long course in fish husbandry last year (the course was paid for by work, but all of the time I put into it was unpaid). This year I also paid $650 out of my own pocket for another year long Advanced Aquatics course through a University here. Quite a few of my regular customers are also friends with me on Facebook so they can see updates of my personal tanks too. I know it might be different in the States but it all comes down to who is actually in the store. Some of us really do care :)

myram
11/07/2014, 05:06 AM
My local Petco has a pretty good Saltwater section with a brand new frag tank. The 2 guys that do the majority of the hours are both hobbyist with degrees in the field. But their hands are tied by corporate policy......which really limits what they can/can't do for the welfare of the livestock.

I go to approx. 6-8 stores in a 1 hour radius and some are very good, and some are very bad.

alton
11/07/2014, 05:10 AM
I applaud you Chelsea for making a difference. I ran into an individual once at a Wal Mart who worked in the fish department. She knew everything about the fish, knew when they came in, and cared for them as her own. I don't think it is how much money a person makes, its the fact a person cares about what they do.
My Purple Tang is scheduled for today, I will post later on how it works out.

Nina51
11/07/2014, 07:40 AM
recently went into my local Pet Supplies Plus for some dog treats and as i always do, wandered over to look at the saltwater fish. ich everywhere. of course, all of their tanks (including an "invert tank") are on the same system so it's pretty much a lost cause. the girl who works the department told me she really hated to sell ich infested fish to unknowing customers but that's what they do. it was awful, every single fish was absolutely covered in it.

she told me they "have a saltwater guy" who comes in once a week to "take care of things", whatever that means. he was there the night before and put garlic in all the tanks. told her it would take care of the problem in a couple of days.

i just had to walk away. i've offered advice to them in the past but obviously, they didn't take it. i told her they were doing a real disservice to their customers because we all know 99% of the people who shop these stores don't qt. *sigh*

Zer0.
11/07/2014, 08:24 AM
The local petco here in North Kansas City Missouri is just as the store nina described above. Everything is always absolutely covered in ich.

PJtree23
11/07/2014, 08:55 AM

I wont interrupt the customer/employee engagement but I would confront the employee after and ask them about what they had said and why. :deadhorse:

PJ

alton
11/07/2014, 01:09 PM
It came in as advertised, Definitely not LA as far as packaging, but the fish looks good

Nina51
11/07/2014, 04:18 PM
I wont interrupt the customer/employee engagement but I would confront the employee after and ask them about what they had said and why. :deadhorse:

PJ

i don't even bother any more because i was just peein' up a rope. however, if a customer has *the* discussion and says they will think about it, i will wait for the employee to be out of earshot and then i'll simply tell the customer that the fish he/she is looking at is very sick. you either get a "thanks!" and a request for more information, which i'm glad to give, or you get somebody who doesn't give a rat's patoot and buys the fish anyway.

It came in as advertised, Definitely not LA as far as packaging, but the fish looks good

hope he does well for you!

that Fish Guy
11/08/2014, 10:39 PM

I know people that make less than that that are Reefers.

So yes, it can be done.

You do not need to be a millionaire to be in the Hobby even though that is the perception that many people have of this hobby.

Reefer140
11/09/2014, 02:57 PM

So yes, it can be done.

You do not need to be a millionaire to be in the Hobby even though that is the perception that many people have of this hobby.

Yup, its all about patience and taking your time with it. If done slowly and correctly, this hobby can be managed easily

mps0813
11/09/2014, 03:25 PM
Anyone who shops at the walmart of pet stores (petco/petsmart) are fools... I have a four legged friend and will go ANYWHERE other than those two shops for his needs. Wouldn't even consider them for even supplements for my tank..

that Fish Guy
11/09/2014, 04:34 PM
I find it very hard to believe that some people are saying that their LFS is worse than PetCo.

Maybe I am in a Great Area or something.

I live in Michigan and have probably been to like 15 LFS and everyone of them is better than PetCo just based on the fact that they offer much much more than PetCo does.

Yes some LFS are better than others but Everyone that I have ever been to is better than PetCo.

P.S. I am not saying that the people that work there are good or bad (That depends on individual person).

Even if every person at PetCo is awesome they only cary like 15 Fish in Stock.

They simply do not offer anything at all for me to buy.

If I want say

Kessil LED
Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer
180 Gallon Tank
Acans
Acros
Chalices

I can get that stuff at any LFS I visit but I cannot get any of it from a PetCo.

Nina51
11/09/2014, 05:55 PM
the petco that's the closest to me doesn't sell saltwater fish. they have salt and the usual API test kits but that's about it.

last time i was in the LFS, every single tank was smothering in cyano, couldn't even see the sand. and i'm pretty sure all of their tanks are on the same system. however, in the middle of the row of tanks, one was marked "hospital tank" with a sticker that said "fish not for sale". there were a couple of clowns in there with obvious ich.

myram
11/09/2014, 07:57 PM
They simply do not offer anything at all for me to buy.

If I want say

Kessil LED
Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer
180 Gallon Tank
Acans
Acros
Chalices

I can get that stuff at any LFS I visit but I cannot get any of it from a PetCo.

My local Petco has Reef Octopus skimmers, acans, acros, chalices, and a complete separate frag tank system.

banjowalker
11/09/2014, 08:06 PM
My local Petco has Reef Octopus skimmers, acans, acros, chalices, and a complete separate frag tank system.
+1 minus the frag tank. They sell almost all that and have a very good selection of fish and inverts in my local petco

Reefer140
11/09/2014, 08:58 PM
Anyone who shops at the walmart of pet stores (petco/petsmart) are fools... I have a four legged friend and will go ANYWHERE other than those two shops for his needs. Wouldn't even consider them for even supplements for my tank..

Who are you to bash someone for being a customer? Crap on a retailer all you want... But to call someone a fool because where they shop is a rude statement.

that Fish Guy
11/10/2014, 12:35 AM

Every PetCo here in Michigan have none of that stuff

No Frag System (No Frags so Need for One)

They have like 10 to 15 Fish in 4 Tanks,
Snails, Hermits - That is it for Clean Up Crew
The Terribly Rated Tornado Skimmer (I think it is made by Instant Ocean).
No Power Heads (Not even Koralia or Marineland).
No T5HO, No Metal Halide, No Good Led (All they have is Fluval Freshwater LED).

And that is at the Ones that sell Saltwater.

50 Percent of the PetCo's here in Michigan do not have Saltwater so they have none of that stuff.

I guess the Rest of the Country is Spoiled.

But there are a lot of LFS here so I guess it does not matter.

that Fish Guy
11/10/2014, 12:40 AM
Who are you to bash someone for being a customer? Crap on a retailer all you want... But to call someone a fool because where they shop is a rude statement.

You can look at it that way.

But in my opinion when you keep animals you are responsible for them.

Whenever I get a new Animal whether it is Fish, Coral, Frog, Lizard.

I get online and join the appropriate forum and learn all I can.

When you do that you quickly learn about LFS's and even more importantly Frag Swaps.

You get educated so that you do not go to Chain Stores.

Most people do not do that and in my opinion most people should not have animals at all because most people do not know how to take care of them. (Not the people on this site of course LOL).

You guys are the smart ones.

I mean when I was 8 Years Old I knew that Meijers, Walmart, etc. had sick fish. (This was waaaaaaaay before the Internet by the way too. All I had was books that I got from the Library - Another place that people should visit but don't).

If an 8 year old knows that why don't Adults?

It is common sense that even a child can understand.

mps0813
11/10/2014, 02:26 AM
Call me rude. A responsible 'reefer' wouldn't ever consider a place like Petco for their reeding needs, IMHO.

mps0813
11/10/2014, 02:27 AM
Oops reefing... not reeding.

billsreef
11/10/2014, 04:47 AM
[flamealert]...

Nina51
11/10/2014, 05:06 AM
Whenever I get a new Animal whether it is Fish, Coral, Frog, Lizard.

I get online and join the appropriate forum and learn all I can.

i hope you mean before you get a new animal...

while i do as much reading as i can prior to deciding on a new critter, i don't have time for a lot of forums so, if i find something i think i want, i ask snorvich. :D

c0rocad
11/10/2014, 02:08 PM

So yes, it can be done.

I didn't say that they could not be a reefer, They could live with their Parents/Breadwinner or have 4 roommates and take the bus and have a kick *** tank.

What I said was that people who have the motivation to do a good job at work and have the knowledge of a semi-complex system like multiple saltwater tank management tend to not gravitate towards low paying jobs for long periods of time. Those stellar PetCo Employees tend to skew towards students and young people who are still making that climb to a self sustainable career.

Having one Anecdotal experience of someone who owns a reef tank but living under the poverty line is useless and sounds suspicious.

myram
11/11/2014, 05:44 AM
Every PetCo here in Michigan have none of that stuff

No Frag System (No Frags so Need for One)

They have like 10 to 15 Fish in 4 Tanks,
Snails, Hermits - That is it for Clean Up Crew
The Terribly Rated Tornado Skimmer (I think it is made by Instant Ocean).
No Power Heads (Not even Koralia or Marineland).
No T5HO, No Metal Halide, No Good Led (All they have is Fluval Freshwater LED).

And that is at the Ones that sell Saltwater.

50 Percent of the PetCo's here in Michigan do not have Saltwater so they have none of that stuff.

I guess the Rest of the Country is Spoiled.

But there are a lot of LFS here so I guess it does not matter.

After reading on here, I do believe my area is spoiled with some good Petco stores. There are a couple that are just nasty, and I avoid them. But there are 3-4 of them that are very good and have great selection of clean fish. It's a new corporate initiative to issue frag tanks to the magnet stores, they are a separate shallow tank with T5ho lighting. The frags finally looks healthy in them, they used to suffer in the fish systems due to lower salinity and crappy lighting.
One of the stores here has a 120 tank for bigger fish, and another one has a 120 full reef tank display system.

accordsirh22
11/17/2014, 08:57 AM
ours here sucks. ich everywhere. frags of gsp for $50. its a joke

that Fish Guy
11/17/2014, 10:04 PM
ours here sucks. ich everywhere. frags of gsp for $50. its a joke

HUH!!!

GSP is 10.00 here in Michigan.

Is it really 50.00 where you are at?

I feel very very bad for you if that is true.

Reefer140
11/18/2014, 09:24 AM
HUH!!!

GSP is 10.00 here in Michigan.

Is it really 50.00 where you are at?

I feel very very bad for you if that is true.

Same in my area.. About 10-15 for small frags.. They occasionally have 3-4in colonies for 30-40$, but the frags are typically much cheaper..

accordsirh22
11/18/2014, 04:40 PM
thats only AT petco mind you, i sell frags for $10 as do most other stores

Bpb
11/18/2014, 09:22 PM
+1 here. GSP and Pulsing Xenia are each about $50 a piece for 2" frags of them at the local petco. While Aussie Duncan's are about $10 a head. I also recently picked up a beautiful 3" Maxima Clam from that same Petco for $40 plus tax. Clam in the pic is only 2 week removed from the petco holding tank, and still acclimating to my lights. Great color though.

There's some serious tomfoolery going on with whoever sets their prices. I don't buy trash softies personally, but can't help but notice the strange pricing. There are a lot of new hobbyists in my area that spend some serious coin at our petco though so that must be what drives it.

I only shop there for the occasional jar of NLS pellets or pack of frozen food. Otherwise I don't even go in. Really don't mean to sound snobby but they don't exactly stock the kind of corals I seek. I know some petcos do but not my local one. The clam was an isolated incident that a friend gave me the heads up on. Not much a choice for new hobbyists in my area though, who mostly have yet to discover online forums and retailers. Nearest true LFS is 2+ hours away from here.

sk8elenex92
11/19/2014, 07:03 AM
My petco here is so bad.. Bpb nice pick up on the clam, that was a good deal..

tank121
11/19/2014, 04:02 PM
Did anyone see this ?
https://community.petco.com/t5/petco-communications/Petco-to-Acquire-Online-Pet-Product-Retailer-Drs-Foster-and/ba-p/52846?cm_mmc=twitter-_-DFS-announcement-_-press-release-_-20141119

gone fishin
11/19/2014, 04:12 PM
That article is indeed very interesting.

woodnaquanut
11/19/2014, 06:03 PM
Did anyone see this ?
https://community.petco.com/t5/petco-communications/Petco-to-Acquire-Online-Pet-Product-Retailer-Drs-Foster-and/ba-p/52846?cm_mmc=twitter-_-DFS-announcement-_-press-release-_-20141119

Oh no!

Wonder what that will do to LA and DD?

alton
11/20/2014, 07:01 AM
Oh no!

Wonder what that will do to LA and DD?

Maybe LA and DD will fix Petco

GreshamH
11/20/2014, 12:25 PM
Maybe LA and DD will fix Petco

A company being bought typically is powerless to change the company buying them ;)

that Fish Guy
11/27/2014, 10:03 PM
I wonder if they would match their store prices with foster and smith since it would be their company?

That would put PetSmart, Pet Supplies Plus, and a lot of LFS out of business giving them much much more of the Market Share.

Mark_C
11/28/2014, 06:19 PM
I'm in NJ. There's 2 LFS in my area. One random hours, the other is there for sales.
But! The local Petco has 2 employees who are salt and reef fanatics and are always offering great advice, even if it means not making a sale at that moment. For that, or should I say for them, Petco is my store of choice. If they're not busy, either of these guys will happily spend an hour with you.
Was going to buy a clown goby today and one of them told me to hold off, the one they had was acting a bit 'muddled', might not be too healthy, and they should be getting another on Wednesday.
If this were their dynamic across the board, I can't see how Petco could fail.
Then, this afternoon I stopped into another Petco a few miles away while out and about. I asked the kid in the fish dept if they had any clown gobies. His response, 'A clown what?'
This takeover is all going to be dependent on which of their employees sits behind the new PC&F&S desk.

Nina51
11/29/2014, 08:47 AM
i only have one lfs anywhere near me and it's an hour away. i have noticed, over the past few years, the decline in this store's quality because of the internet. they used to get in some unusual fish and their tanks were always in tip top shape. the last few times i've been there, it's just the usual clownfish, an angel or two and of course, the obligatory tank FULL of yellow tangs. the condition of their tanks has plummeted to a mess of cyano, gha, and oftentimes i see dead fish. it isn't the employees...the same people have worked there for years. i think it's the fact that online ordering (even of livestock) has increased so much, the smaller lfs's have suffered. i am one of the guilty ones. seeing the conditions of their tanks, i wouldn't buy anything there other than maybe a frag from one of the coral tanks but even those are being taken over by aptasia.

that Fish Guy
11/29/2014, 05:48 PM
i only have one lfs anywhere near me and it's an hour away. i have noticed, over the past few years, the decline in this store's quality because of the internet. they used to get in some unusual fish and their tanks were always in tip top shape. the last few times i've been there, it's just the usual clownfish, an angel or two and of course, the obligatory tank FULL of yellow tangs. the condition of their tanks has plummeted to a mess of cyano, gha, and oftentimes i see dead fish. it isn't the employees...the same people have worked there for years. i think it's the fact that online ordering (even of livestock) has increased so much, the smaller lfs's have suffered. i am one of the guilty ones. seeing the conditions of their tanks, i wouldn't buy anything there other than maybe a frag from one of the coral tanks but even those are being taken over by aptasia.

Well, why do you buy online then?

You said you are one of the guilty ones and now your store has suffered because of it.

myram
11/30/2014, 06:00 AM
I stopped by my local Petco last night and it looked amazing, only 1 fish had ich and he was in the sick tank. All the fish looked great, the coral frag tank was looking good. They were running a 25% off Black Friday 2-day sale, so I grabbed a Blue Gudgeon for $10.

Again..........this store's aquatic section is staffed by 3 guys who all have degrees and are reefers themselves...........so it's always in very good condition.

oceanlassiter
11/30/2014, 08:06 AM
Petco is a national chain store, and in order to stay in business they get employees for minimum wage and most are part time. Therefor most are there just to have a job and can careless about the animals they sell. There job is to upsell! usually that means selling you something you don't need or are even ready for. It is not the fault of the employee, it is the policy of Petco itself. As for dead fish, they write it off as a loss for tax purposes, and Petco is not alone in that policy. just about all chain stores practice that policy, it is what keeps them in business. I am not defending Petco, but just pointing out the fact, it is common among all chain stores, regardless of what kind of store it is.

that Fish Guy
11/30/2014, 08:11 AM
Petco is a national chain store, and in order to stay in business they get employees for minimum wage and most are part time. Therefor most are there just to have a job and can careless about the animals they sell. There job is to upsell! usually that means selling you something you don't need or are even ready for. It is not the fault of the employee, it is the policy of Petco itself. As for dead fish, they write it off as a loss for tax purposes, and Petco is not alone in that policy. just about all chain stores practice that policy, it is what keeps them in business. I am not defending Petco, but just pointing out the fact, it is common among all chain stores, regardless of what kind of store it is.

I used to work at PetSmart and that was not the case.

If we felt an animal was not fit for the person that we had the right and were encouraged not to sell it to them.

Add on are good for a store but the employees were not "pushed" to sell them.

It was very casual and laid back in my opinion.

We were trained to ask many many questions so that the person got the right animal for them too.

So I would not generalize that all stores are like this.

I cannot speak for PetCo as I do not work there.

Also, everyone at my store had a general love for animals in general.

They would never want to see an animal mistreated and truly did care.

Was it a high paying job - no.

And everyone wants a paycheck.

But the employees there truly did care.

Nina51
11/30/2014, 02:46 PM
Well, why do you buy online then?

You said you are one of the guilty ones and now your store has suffered because of it.

that store isn't suffering because *I* don't go there. even when i did go, it's a long ole drive and i might have gone 2 or 3 times in a year.

syrinx
11/30/2014, 05:21 PM
People take a low pay check to work at a pet store, because everybody wants to work at a pet store. There are enough animal lovers that they do not have to hire just anyone. That being said human motivation is what it is- and some employees are going to be duds.

that Fish Guy
12/01/2014, 01:06 AM
that store isn't suffering because *I* don't go there. even when i did go, it's a long ole drive and i might have gone 2 or 3 times in a year.

If everyone supported the LFS then they would not go down hill and would not go out of business.

I tell everyone to support the LFS and pitch in like I do.

Otherwise eventually they will not be around.

Nina51
12/01/2014, 05:15 AM
If everyone supported the LFS then they would not go down hill and would not go out of business.

i bought my 75g tank at the lfs last spring when i was getting ready to do an upgrade. also bought live rock and sand and a few other things. it just isn't feasible for me to drive the distance just to pick up things i can get at walmart (mostly qt stuff) without taking hours out of my day.

if it makes you feel any better, i don't support the pet supplies plus store that i can get to in 20 minutes. about the only thing i buy there is frozen foods like mysis, brine. they sell it for half the cost the lfs does. their tanks, however, are infected with ich. nothing wet goes from there to my house.

that Fish Guy
12/01/2014, 10:55 AM
i bought my 75g tank at the lfs last spring when i was getting ready to do an upgrade. also bought live rock and sand and a few other things. it just isn't feasible for me to drive the distance just to pick up things i can get at walmart (mostly qt stuff) without taking hours out of my day.

if it makes you feel any better, i don't support the pet supplies plus store that i can get to in 20 minutes. about the only thing i buy there is frozen foods like mysis, brine. they sell it for half the cost the lfs does. their tanks, however, are infected with ich. nothing wet goes from there to my house.

That sucks.

My LFS sells Frozen food for half the price of all the Chain Stores.

I guess I am lucky.

ardsman
12/23/2014, 10:56 PM
The only LFS close to me is an awful place, I could not bring myself to purchase any livestock from there, On the other hand the PETCO in Salina Kansas has a young guy working there who goes by the name of Brandon, I have to say he is a bright intelligent young man who certainly knows his stuff, he does of course keep reef tanks himself, since he took over that department I have not once seen a sick or badly injured fish, he took my cell # and immediately calls me with anything he thinks I may be interested in. I believe he "actually cares" about his fishy charges, well done youngun.

OnceTrueFalseBr
12/25/2014, 12:27 PM
Ive reported them so many times...

OnceTrueFalseBr
12/25/2014, 12:31 PM

I tell everyone to support the LFS and pitch in like I do.

Otherwise eventually they will not be around.

I doubt LFS go down hill right away. The more corners they cut the more obvious it becomes. Like Any business its a slow decline once management stops caring about livedtock and find their happy medium of a least work possible cycle.

acidlittle
12/25/2014, 03:45 PM
There are so many things wrong (and right) with so many of these posts. I have worked at petco before and I have turned sales away because people didn't have the proper setups for said animals.

One instance was a guy buying a hippo tang for his 40br. I told him that tank was too small for it, and he cursed me out and told me to bag up the "eff'n" fish. I said no and that I will not sell to somebody that is rude, manager then went over my head and sold it to him. Week later he showed up with a dead Hippo DEMANDING his money back. I laughed in his face and told him to leave (this time the manager backed me up)

Some stores get frag tanks based on the sales they do with the saltwater community, the store I worked at was on the cusp of getting a 75gal frag tank, when I quit due to moving. Their sales went down to where they couldn't support the frag tank.

My LFS is the most disgusting fish store every. I've seen the owner step on mice in front of children because they had gotten loose, I saw a lionfish who had no face and was covered in that "death mucus".

I'm on the verge of asking him if I can volunteer my services and try and get his salt system up and clean just so I can use his connection to get supplies/frags/fish.

Or I thought about starting my own Fish store that would just shut down his fish section (he does reptiles/cats/dogs/rodents). I just don't have the capital to start that right now.

Anyways, each store is a case by case instance. When I worked there it was a second job, I loved fish and it wasn't my main source of income. I gave people good advice, and had people get my phone number to call me when I quit (mind you I told them I was no expert).
Big box stores vs LFS's is an geographical/demographical debate. Do I like local stores more than big box, yes. Are they always better? Hell no.
If you see a petco that has a good system that is struggling to keep up, think about getting a job there PT...not only will they pay you (not much) but you'll get 20% off and if you don't trust the system you can order special and not let the item it the tanks.
Same goes for the LFS. But this LFS of mine has snakes, and I've seen snakes loose in the store, which just no.

that Fish Guy
12/25/2014, 08:43 PM
Ive reported them so many times...

What did you "Report" them for?

Who did you "Report" them too?

BuzzPion
12/27/2014, 09:49 AM
Old post, but what Petco in Tacoma is this? I had thought I had been to them all and I don't recall seeing this. I did see a frag tank like that in Lakewood, but it had nothing but dead stuff in it.

BuzzPion
12/28/2014, 06:32 AM
Answering my own question:

So, I found this place in Tacoma, 6th and Pearl. Let's just say the tank doesn't look like this anymore. I'm pretty sure the pic was taken when the tank was set up and stocked for the very first time.

Bummer

firebirdude
12/28/2014, 08:24 AM
^^^^ But the overall point of the post is still incredibly valid. The health of the aquatics department is going to be entirely dependant on the employees who maintain it, not Petco itself. Yes, Petco hires mainly <25 year old kids who just want to make a buck while they're in school. So you get plenty of employees that don't give two ishts about the company or the livestock. But you sometimes get that guy who has a 120g saltwater tank at home, is very active in the local reefing community and actually does hard work to keep the department healthy. I'm fortunate enough to have the latter. The biggest problem my store has is poor lighting. The fish and low light corals are always looking healthy (and I live 3 blocks from the store and am in there quite a bit). But the SPS that comes in occasionally dies off if not bought within ~2 weeks. They keep it on a frag rack up at the top of the tank, but there's only so much they can do.

EDIT: The same can be said with any LFS. And actually any other business too. Plenty of employees at Best Buy are morons, but there's plenty who love their job and really know their isht too. It's all gonna depend on the employees at your specific store.

GreshamH
12/31/2014, 05:14 PM
^^^^ But the overall point of the post is still incredibly valid. The health of the aquatics department is going to be entirely dependant on the employees who maintain it, not Petco itself. Yes, Petco hires mainly <25 year old kids who just want to make a buck while they're in school. So you get plenty of employees that don't give two ishts about the company or the livestock. But you sometimes get that guy who has a 120g saltwater tank at home, is very active in the local reefing community and actually does hard work to keep the department healthy. I'm fortunate enough to have the latter. The biggest problem my store has is poor lighting. The fish and low light corals are always looking healthy (and I live 3 blocks from the store and am in there quite a bit). But the SPS that comes in occasionally dies off if not bought within ~2 weeks. They keep it on a frag rack up at the top of the tank, but there's only so much they can do.

EDIT: The same can be said with any LFS. And actually any other business too. Plenty of employees at Best Buy are morons, but there's plenty who love their job and really know their isht too. It's all gonna depend on the employees at your specific store.

Every last bit of what you said is reflective of the company. They hire the people, they manage the people, its their job after all. If the cannot, and stuff dies, its the company failing to deal with it. If they choose the bottom line, that's their choice, but the loss is entirely their fault in this case.

GreshamH
12/31/2014, 05:17 PM

Yes, they have what are called magnet stores... those have higher level aquatic sections among other features.

josh0302
01/20/2015, 07:58 PM
At my local petco, I saw an undulate triggerfish picking apart a poor bicolor angelfish. They were put together in a ten gallon. This trigger was picking apart the angel LIMB FROM LIMB. I could barely watch it. I asked the saltwater "expert" if he could move the undy and he said it's fine and its the "quarantine tank". It's not the triggers fault.

josh0302
01/20/2015, 08:22 PM
The next time I went their I (of course) had a chip on my shoulder from my last visit. So I asked The "expert" what the "little white dots" on the fish were. His answer was, and I quote,"That is, um, uh, oh those are nothing". SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

banjowalker
01/23/2015, 01:51 PM
update! My local petco in hickory nc got a frag tank! Little do they know they have all corals on the sandbed and a light that barely pentetrates the surface. I hope they get this figured out. The fish have all took a turn for the worst though. They were selling a Wyoming white, two picassos, and a few wrasse that all clearly had a terrible case of velvet. All the tanks in that section are on the same system so unfortunately there are probably many fish that are going to die. They have a zoa frag in the Wyoming white tank that has at least 60 polyps for 40 bucks, but I don't want to chance getting anything from that tank.

Bpb
01/23/2015, 01:55 PM
My local petco just gutted their entire aquatics section in order to set up a dedicated frag tank and better holding tanks. Should be done in a couple weeks. I shouldn't be excited but I am.

JoelA7
01/24/2015, 11:47 PM
Local PetCo to me has a couple hard working employees who are making the effort. Both salt and fresh aquariums are good condition or better.

Regarding folks' statements about single systems LFS and disease, single systems are cost effective and very common, and one needs to quarantine and treat prophylacticly regardless.

frost0fractal
02/01/2015, 04:41 PM
Local Petco and Petsmart here (Petaluma, CA) have freshwater only, no saltwater, probably a smart move on their part. Local LFS (Jofish) I enjoyed going to closed a while back, and the next closest one charges too much for things in my opinion. I found some serious hobbyists that also do a lot of sales in reasonable driving distance and always go there when possible. Luckily there is a good reef community in this area.

Tattoocean
02/25/2015, 12:48 AM
I had to stop going in there because of these reasons. If not I would have 100's of fish, literally. Feel so bad for those creatures that get treated like a pawn for a $. I have to say that I have a few beautiful specimens, Maroon/Gold and 2 Black Ice Clowns in doing so. Definitely wouldn't of been able to afford them anywhere else but gave them an offer and took it. One even had pop eye!!!! It was totally the employee they had working there with too much free rain on ordering. They don't even have the clientele to sell too, let alone them having the knowledge to care for it...
Its not how much the box is worth, its the value of life in it!!!!

reefsandrotts
02/25/2015, 10:30 AM
I went to my local petco lastnight, was poking around the salt section they had 2 tiny cleaner shrimp in with a Hawkfish that at this point were crunched by the hawk. The woman tells me it's ok they were feeder shrimp so I ask her then why are they labeled cleaners for $29.99??? Ugh stupid people

CuzzA
03/04/2015, 09:15 AM
Good news, my local Petco shut down their saltwater section. I was there last night picking up a few dozen feeder goldfish for my pond and noticed they shut it down. I was talking to the employee and he said, "The decision was made to stop carrying saltwater animals because we were killing about $500 a week." I said, "Well that doesn't surprise me given the fact that you guys don't have a quarantine system, you mix inverts with fish so you can't medicate and corporate won't allow you to run even a therapeutic level of copper in your system."

Needless to say, I was happy to see this particular Petco Marine Graveyard shut down. Hopefully this will become a trend.

dustinkimpel
03/04/2015, 10:09 AM
Good news, my local Petco shut down their saltwater section. I was there last night picking up a few dozen feeder goldfish for my pond and noticed they shut it down. I was talking to the employee and he said, "The decision was made to stop carrying saltwater animals because we were killing about $500 a week." I said, "Well that doesn't surprise me given the fact that you guys don't have a quarantine system, you mix inverts with fish so you can't medicate and corporate won't allow you to run even a therapeutic level of copper in your system."

Needless to say, I was happy to see this particular Petco Marine Graveyard shut down. Hopefully this will become a trend.

That's good news!

FraggledRock
03/06/2015, 09:15 AM
I like to browse Petco, and typically have a good experience, aside from the occasional dead fish. However, I was very disappointed the other day when I saw a carpet anemone completely flipped upside down in the sand and none of the employees seemed to care. Even after I pointed it out.

thats near the root of the problem...

they hire idiots who don't care...

Bpb
03/06/2015, 09:47 AM
thats near the root of the problem...

they hire idiots who don't care...

Correct. Once in a blue moon you'll find an employee who has at least half a brain, but...being as the company's bread and butter is in dog and cat food, and there aren't exactly experienced and responsible reef keepers flooding every city on the map, begging for a minimum wage job in which they can discourage little 6 year old Makaylah that Dory isn't a good starter pet for your 1/2 gal fish bowl....what you DO get is kind of expected. High school and college kids who want an easy part time minimum wage pet store job for beer money, or retirees who want a part time job for...boredom I guess?

Hitch08
03/06/2015, 10:13 AM
My local Petco doesn't have salt tanks. Seems like that's a good thing!