PDA

View Full Version : Vertex omega 150 owners I have a few questions so help a reefer out

Dapg8gt
08/01/2014, 06:56 PM
I found a barely used one local to me for a killer deal but it's a bit of a drive and my research has been really inconclusive on if this skimmer is what it says it is. So a few questions answered from owners would be really appreciated..

1) Do you think the gallon rating is accurate? Says for a 150g fully stocked. ( I have a 105g SPS tank that's carbon dosed and fed really heavily so I need a good 6" body skimmer. Getting a custom sump built right now and I'll be pushing just about 150g as of now I'm about 120 ish ).I'm running a skimz sk181 now and it's a beast for what it is and works pretty flawlessly honestly ..

2) do you have any impeller issues with the new style impeller? In other words have they been failing still with the improved one..

3) is it really as bad to tune as a lot of the people say it is? Is it a set it and forget it like normal good skimmers? All the threads I've read have had people complain on how long the break in was and it's not normal leading to guys selling them. Then other people who have great reviews and say it's the best skimmer ever .

4) anything else you want to share good or bad about it that can help me out =).

I know vertex is a quality company and I see some people on here who know a lot about skimmers say to get this skimmer in threads but it seems like it's like a 50/50 split on people who actually love the skimmer to people hate it and run from it and sell it within a month or 2..

fwiw the guy I'm getting it from says it's the best skimmer he's ever had and he's taking a break from the hobby and selling the whole tank. Skimmer is only 6 months old bought from a very reputable online sponsor so I'm covered in the warranty dept. It's either this omega or stay with skimz and upgrade to a newer model.. The Ro regal has also caught my eye but if I can buy a great skimmer and a few top tier acros for the same price I'd rather do that lol..

Thanks and hope I get some answers in the next few days I'm supposed to get it on sunday:eek2:

(sorry for the novel above)

Daniel

Dapg8gt
09/12/2014, 10:35 PM
Update.. I got the skimmer and love it.. I can also say it's one of the best skimmers I've had in the 100g range by far for the price..

moondoggy4
09/13/2014, 12:48 AM
I have that skimmer I would recommend not to remove the impeller the magnet is really strong and will pull on it while you are holding it this will cause the impeller to come lose from the shaft. I would soak it in vinegar and run it in vinegar. I have mine on a 120 gallon tank.

Dapg8gt
09/13/2014, 01:23 AM
I have that skimmer I would recommend not to remove the impeller the magnet is really strong and will pull on it while you are holding it this will cause the impeller to come lose from the shaft. I would soak it in vinegar and run it in vinegar. I have mine on a 120 gallon tank.

Thanks for chiming in =). I saw your post's in the other thread stating the same thing before I bought it, actually followed it after I bought it =) .
I'm really happy with it as of now. Pic is a typical days worth of skimmer. I cleaned it last night, pic is from tonight..

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag45/dapg8gt/20140912_201852_zpsetipcxtx.jpg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/dapg8gt/media/20140912_201852_zpsetipcxtx.jpg.html)

jordsyke
09/14/2014, 09:35 PM
Yea I love mine, got the vectra cleaner head and it pulls some nasty skimmate