PDA

View Full Version : Treatment for gash on clownfish

brandoniscool
08/01/2014, 08:23 PM
Just noticed that one of my clownfish has a cut about half a centimeter on its side. When moving tanks it was temporarily housed in a tank with large crabs about 3 weeks ago but otherwise I have no idea where it came from. should I QT the fish? What treatment options is recommended for this type of injury. It doesn't look inflamed and the fish is eating and behaving normally.

Any ideas totally appreciated.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/02/egetemab.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/02/qe2u4u8u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/02/9aranene.jpg

Newsmyrna80
08/01/2014, 09:38 PM
As long as it's not inflamed or infected and the fish is behaving normally I would leave him be. I would add vitamins to his food and be sure to keep his water pristine. If anything changes then move him. Was this fish exposed to anything that new that was not quarantined?

brandoniscool
08/01/2014, 09:51 PM
As long as it's not inflamed or infected and the fish is behaving normally I would leave him be. I would add vitamins to his food and be sure to keep his water pristine. If anything changes then move him. Was this fish exposed to anything that new that was not quarantined?

No, he hasn't been exposed to any new fish. Could he pick up anything from inverts or coral? I've added some corals to this tank at my school from my tank at home which is healthy.

I feed flake/pellit food from an automatic feeder twice a day and then frozen food from LRS reef frenzy or Limpits reef buffet every other day. I've never supplemented vitamins before. I have to soak the frozen food in them and then feed right? Which would you recommend? HOpefully they're not too expensive, I've dropped two grand on my project in the last month and my credit card bills are crazy.

GroktheCube
08/02/2014, 02:17 AM
Looks like a wound from a tang's scalpel to me.

Newsmyrna80
08/02/2014, 05:53 AM
Ahhhh, Mr. Rutherford's class...very cool project!! To answer your question, yes, fish can contract a disease from an invert but it's because it's wet. If an invert is exposed to water that has a disease present that disease/parasite can hitchhike onto the invert and contaminate another tank. The invert itself does not contract the disease. It acts as a fomite. If your home tank is healthy I wouldn't worry about disease. It's probably just an injury.
I've used Selcon and Zoecon. I think they run about $12 but they last forever. Just put a couple of drops in the food and let it sit for 20 minutes.

brandoniscool
08/02/2014, 06:32 AM
Looks like a wound from a tang's scalpel to me.

Great observation, the only other fish in the tank is a blue tang. Do you think the clown will be cut again?

GroktheCube
08/02/2014, 04:18 PM
It depends on the circumstances. Perhaps the tang was startled, maybe the clown accidentally cornered it, etc. If you haven't observed any overt aggression from either fish, it was most likely an "accidental" stabbing. My tang was a bit rough on my foxface when he was first introduced, and the cuts looked just like that.

brandoniscool
08/02/2014, 08:15 PM
It depends on the circumstances. Perhaps the tang was startled, maybe the clown accidentally cornered it, etc. If you haven't observed any overt aggression from either fish, it was most likely an "accidental" stabbing. My tang was a bit rough on my foxface when he was first introduced, and the cuts looked just like that.

The tang is extremely shy, he will hide in the rocks when anyone approaches the tank and can only been seen by standing about 8 feet away. I'm a little concerned that when all the kids return to school he'll get stressed out.

This said, I've never seen it interact with the clowns and they've been together for about 6 months. Must have been an accident.