PDA

View Full Version : DI resin changed colors but TDS is still 0

zero26
08/03/2014, 10:00 AM
My DI resin has completely changed color and looks exhausted but my TDS is still 0.

Should I replace my DI or wait until the TDS starts to rise?

phillrodrigo
08/03/2014, 02:05 PM
I would order one and leave it in the bag it comes in. Put it in the refrigerator until you start seeing tds.

Jrhunter0000
08/03/2014, 02:23 PM
Color is just a reminder. I would order some now its gonna start showing 1+ soon

whosurcaddie
08/03/2014, 03:15 PM
Silicate can be released when the color changes. It is the hardest substance for the DI to catch and the first one to release.

ElmoC
08/04/2014, 06:46 AM
I just replaced my resin the other week when it had completely changed color. What I found was, there was still a fair amount you couldn't see in the middle that hadn't changed yet. But at Jrhunter0000 says, it is just a reminder. Get some new stuff and get ready to change soon.

fishchef
08/04/2014, 06:08 PM
I've read color change media is a waste of money. The same amount of non-color change has more capacity.

devildog12210
08/04/2014, 06:43 PM
I've read color change media is a waste of money. The same amount of non-color change has more capacity.

Got a source to back that up?

I'm a huge fan of the color change. I can see it from a distance a heck of a lot better than I can my little inline TDS meter. I still check the meter quite a bit but knowing how exhausted the resin is helps me make sure I have some in stock. I have insanely high TDS from my well along with high dissolved CO2 problems. Needless to say I go through a lot of resin. Non-color changing resin having more capacity would interest me greatly.

fishchef
08/04/2014, 07:02 PM
Run a test. Just something I read about 10 years ago. Haven't bought color change in years and I get long life, 6 months, but I don't have your conditions.
It was explained that the component that changes color replaces the media that absorbs impurities. Thus less active resin ratio.

whosurcaddie
08/05/2014, 01:47 AM

I'm a huge fan of the color change. I can see it from a distance a heck of a lot better than I can my little inline TDS meter. I still check the meter quite a bit but knowing how exhausted the resin is helps me make sure I have some in stock. I have insanely high TDS from my well along with high dissolved CO2 problems. Needless to say I go through a lot of resin. Non-color changing resin having more capacity would interest me greatly.

If your dealing with CO2 I would stick with the color change.

xtlosx
08/05/2014, 06:50 AM

+1 to this. The price difference is rather small for me at least, and when the color gets browned to the top of the canister, I know it's time to start paying attention. I generally order a handful of the color changing packets and have them on standby anyway but color changing gives me the visual heads up!

thegrun
08/05/2014, 07:35 AM
You will get more life out of your resin if you use two canisters of DI resin. There is still good resin in the canister if you change it out when your TDS first starts to increase (or the resin changes color). If you run two canisters then you get full use of the resin. When the water coming out from the second canister starts to show any TDS measurement (or 3/4 of the resin has changed to brown in the second canister) move the second canister into the #1 position and then replace the #2 canister with new resin. You will pay for the second canister with resin savings quickly.

devildog12210
08/05/2014, 11:46 AM
You will get more life out of your resin if you use two canisters of DI resin. There is still good resin in the canister if you change it out when your TDS first starts to increase (or the resin changes color). If you run two canisters then you get full use of the resin. When the water coming out from the second canister starts to show any TDS measurement (or 3/4 of the resin has changed to brown in the second canister) move the second canister into the #1 position and then replace the #2 canister with new resin. You will pay for the second canister with resin savings quickly.

Never really thought of it like that. I'll get that ordered this week and give it a shot. Worst case scenario I'm out $30.

fishchef
08/05/2014, 06:43 PM
BRS confirms, but feels the benefits out weigh the difference between color change and non-color change. Since I don't have clear chambers I rely on a hand held Hanna TDS meter.

Sinekal
08/05/2014, 08:24 PM

This is what I do as well to fully exhaust the resin, works well for me, and Phoenix has really high tds

thegrun
08/06/2014, 07:33 AM
This is what I do as well to fully exhaust the resin, works well for me, and Phoenix has really high tds

You are probably using the same Colorado River water we are (ours is mixed with about 50% well water), TDS at 420 out of the faucet.

Buckeye Hydro
08/20/2014, 03:58 AM
Color is just a reminder. I would order some now its gonna start showing 1+ soon

This is right on the money.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
08/20/2014, 03:59 AM
Silicate can be released when the color changes. It is the hardest substance for the DI to catch and the first one to release.

Not as soon as the color changes... trust your TDS meter. Think of the color change as just a visual reminder that you need to pay closer attention to the DI water TDS.

Russ

DSMpunk
08/20/2014, 07:54 AM
Is it normal to have the DI resin change color from the bottom up? Mine always seems to change color at the bottom 2-3" range for weeks before the rest starts to go.

Buckeye Hydro
08/20/2014, 08:06 AM
Yes - because the RO water flows into the bottom of the cartridge, and out the top. So the media at the bottom gets hit by the "dirtiest" water.

If you ever see a DI cart where it looks like the top changed color first, that's your clue that what you are actually looking at is a DI cart that wasn't packed tightly enough. The DI resin bed fluidized, and the anion and cation beads have separated. The less dense anion beads rose to the top. When this happens, you essentially no longer have "mixed-bed" resin. Water coming in the bottom of the cart will hit the cation beads first, then the anion beads. The bed will need to be remixed, some resin added, and the cartridge tightly repacked for optimal treatment.

Russ

DSMpunk
08/20/2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the explanation.

I've always used the regular DI cartridges in the past but I purchased a refillable cartridge this time. I was worried I packed it wrong or something.

ReeferAl
08/20/2014, 10:12 AM
Color change media isn't necessary if you have a tds meter in line and check it frequently. It doesn't hurt to use it though IMO. I second the use of 2 DI cartridges as above. Move/replace the cartridges as soon as the meter after the 2nd cartridge measures anything above 0 for best results.

Allen

Buckeye Hydro
08/20/2014, 10:31 AM
Color change media isn't necessary if you have a tds meter in line and check it frequently. It doesn't hurt to use it though IMO. I second the use of 2 DI cartridges as above. Move/replace the cartridges as soon as the meter after the 2nd cartridge measures anything above 0 for best results.

Allen

We recommend a bit different approach with 2 DI carts, assuming you have an inline TDS meter probe:
1. After the first DI, and
2. After the second DI.

When DI cart No. 1 starts outputting more than 1 ppm, move DI cart 2 to position 1, and put a fresh DI cart in position 2. This way you always have a fresh DI cart right before your final use, even in the event that you forget to check your TDS for a while and the first cart is past its useful life.

Russ

Deinonych
08/20/2014, 10:52 AM

+1

I found out about this the hard way. :(

hogfanreefer
08/20/2014, 11:37 AM
I use two DI reactors and my first is just now looking like it will need replacement (18 months).

whosurcaddie
08/20/2014, 11:16 PM
I use two DI reactors and my first is just now looking like it will need replacement (18 months).
If you swap the two every few months you will get even longer.