PDA

View Full Version : 10 year old reef tank

buzzer
08/03/2014, 10:11 AM
Hi all
just wanted to post a pic of my 65 us gallon reef tank which has now turned 10 in April.
out of the 8 fish , the lemonpeel is 10 years old along with the 3 chromis , the black and white clown is 8 .
percula clown ...5
Azure damsel ...2
And the midas blenny .....1

The last 7 years have been the easiest to look after it as the first three was a major battle with algae.
The green bta was a gift 3 years ago which i now have 10.
Luckily , 7 of the anemones are growing together which the clowns love, i might get rid of the other three to the lfs.
I have many more photos but dont want to completely bore you as i am known to do when my tank gets mentioned lol.
Hope you like.

Sugar Magnolia
08/03/2014, 10:31 AM
Beautiful tank! Thanks for sharing!

reepher315
08/03/2014, 10:42 AM
I wonder how my tank will look in a decade. Good to see people staying with the hobby that long. Nice tank

3dees
08/03/2014, 11:29 AM
hopefully someday my one year old tank will look like that.

Fibinotchi
08/03/2014, 12:05 PM
That is beautiful, but a lot of the fun in this hobby is the journey. I'm sure I will never be patient enough to let stuff just grow. I end up trading them in and getting new corals and different fish.

toku58
08/03/2014, 12:12 PM
What did you do to solve your algae issue? Your tank looks clean!

buzzer
08/03/2014, 01:47 PM
As i said , i had 3 years struggling with algae using numerous phosphate removers etc.
i got desperate and added a sea hare and within a week , ate all the hair algae up and it never returned.
perhaps the phosphate removers did their job but required the full removal which we would find hard where the sea hare was more than happy to help.
i took the sea hare back to the lfs once he had eaten himself out of home.

h2oraven
08/03/2014, 03:45 PM
Wow 3 chromis living together! I've only been able to keep 1 chromis long term.

fishchef
08/03/2014, 04:13 PM
Great Tank. I've been thinking about doing an anemone or two in my system which is about 10 years old. We need to do some re-scaping. Any words of wisdom?

buzzer
08/03/2014, 04:23 PM
No.
aquascaping is something i have never been good at.
i like where people have put islands of rock in their tanks though where you can see around the back.
This also prevents certain corals taking over the tank

TimLikesFish
08/03/2014, 04:25 PM
Nice mature, healthy looking tank. Good job:thumbsup:

buzzer
08/03/2014, 04:25 PM
@ h2oraven
i have read where loads of people have struggled with chromis.
mine have laid eggs on the corner of the glass quite regularly , do get a bit of quarrelling but they seem to agree on the order of authority.

ViktorVaughn
08/03/2014, 05:38 PM
As i said , i had 3 years struggling with algae using numerous phosphate removers etc.
i got desperate and added a sea hare and within a week , ate all the hair algae up and it never returned.
perhaps the phosphate removers did their job but required the full removal which we would find hard where the sea hare was more than happy to help.
i took the sea hare back to the lfs once he had eaten himself out of home.

While my struggle with algae was only for about 3-4 months, it sure felt like a 3 year battle. My success took a similar path as yours, I got phosphate under control while adding a sea hare to eat the existing algae. Those things are amazing at eating algae and quite amusing to watch as well. Your tank looks awesome, congrats on the 10 year mark.