PDA

View Full Version : Just was in Mexico and it was amazing!

Noah 123
08/04/2014, 11:53 AM
I just got back from Cancun, Mexico, and the trip was great! But more important it the aquatic life. I could have gotten my whole clean up crew there! Thousands of blue leg hermit crabs, scarlet hermit crabs, and yellow stripe hermit crabs. Harlequin, fancy, green, and banded serpent sea stars. Pencil, pincushion, and longspine sea urchins. Lime mantis shrimps, black mantis shrimps, nerite snails, cerith snails, trochus snails, turbo snails (Mexican of course), nassarius snails, astrea snails, sally lightfoot crabs, sand crabs, blue crabs + more!!! And that's just the inverts!

There were sponges, coral, anemones (I'm aware these are inverts too), and so many fish! Banded rabbitfish, sergeant major damsels, azure damsels, big angels, needlefish, pipefish, cleaner wrasses, bird wrasses, groupers, giant trevallys, farming damsels, it was SO COOL! And this was like 1-15 feet off the shore (not deep water at all).

We also swam in a senote (a giant natural brackish pool of water) with a mangrove-surrounded canal! There you can find oscars, cichlids, guppies, gobies, crabs, brackish stars, mollies (all wild)! Amazing!!!!!

sunfishh
08/05/2014, 01:20 AM
I am glad you had a great trip, but do you have pics of these amazing creatures?

Laura8088
08/05/2014, 11:38 AM
+1 we want pics please

jthomps123
08/05/2014, 07:08 PM
Its a wonderful place. Lots of atlantic blue tangs and butterflys too. I've been to the Mayan Riviera a few times and the sea-turtles and barracudas were a site to see...

Although the only fish to attack me was a little blue damsel that I got too close to and he bit me.