PDA

View Full Version : Reef Octopus SRO-5SS-5000INT Overflowing like crazy

demariners
08/04/2014, 06:34 PM
Hello, I own the SRO-555-5000 internal Space Saver skimmer. It typically performs great. The only issue that seems to happen is I tuned it in and again works wonderful. However, when I do a water change the skimmer will overflow for about 3 weeks straight and then finally settle back down to normal. When I change the water I also change my canister filters as well. I have 3 nuclear filters I clean and bleach and dry overnight and replace. I also change about 20% of the water once a month. I use Instant Ocean and I let it aerate overnight as well. I am not sure what to do cause I shouldn't have to tune this in monthly I would think. Furthermore I notice that unless I turn the volve ALL the way down the water will continue to overflow. It does not overflow a little. It overflows a TON and I have to run the hose into my skimmer. Also I notce that the skimmer outlet basically shoots water at the walls of my skimmer. I was under the inpression that it is suppose to gently come out? Any ideas?

icebrg5
08/04/2014, 06:48 PM
You using tap water and a water conditioner with it?

demariners
08/04/2014, 06:50 PM
No I use RODI.

AugustWest
08/04/2014, 08:07 PM
What is the water depth in the skimmer chamber?

demariners
08/04/2014, 08:09 PM
Sits at 6.5 inches. Really works great after a couple weeks but I do a water change monthly like normal people.

azjohnny
08/04/2014, 08:23 PM
The next time you do a WC try not cleaning the nuclear and canister filters. When I used to add bleach when I would clean my filter socks I noticed my skimmer would foam up. Now I just wash the filter socks in hot water. Sounds like you are increasing the surface tension of the water. Oils will reduce it. If it still happens stick your hand in the water or feed some Mysis

demariners
08/04/2014, 08:25 PM
Well I kept the filters dry for about a week in my garage....not sure how they could have any residual.....I do the same thing on my other tank wih a bubble magus...never overflows

rounder45
08/05/2014, 07:29 AM
when the skimmer overflows, does the skimmer overflow with foam or does it get watery(more clear inside the skimmer) and stop producing the usual foam?

demariners
08/05/2014, 09:07 AM
More watery and very fine bubbles.

rounder45
08/05/2014, 10:16 AM
More watery and very fine bubbles.

Oil in the water. Might want to vinegar bath everything you use with water changes . Rinse well.

demariners
08/05/2014, 06:03 PM
A Couple things to mention regarding my setup. I have tried putting my hands in there and that does't do anything. Not sure where the oil could be coming with.

Let me tell you what happens exactly. So when it is running fine it produces skimmate and a head and works great. Once a month I do the following.

- Turn off all pumps, Skimmer, Bio Pellet Reactor and Phosban reactor.
- Remove 3 canister filters and replace with clean ones (The filters are cleaned with RODI water with a little bleach overnight, then I let them dry for a couple days after power washing them with Tap water)
- Remove all fake corals from the system (They are your standard plastic corals (They are removed and also cleaned with bleach and water and sit for a couple hours to dry)
- Replace about 20-30% of the water, I use RODI water with Instant Ocean sea salt. I leave it overnight with continuous agitation.
- Then make sure corals are dry and place them back into the tank. I use a little super glue to hold them in place
- Turn all pumps back on.

At this point without touching the skimmer it overflows significantly. I would say it is not possible to stop it and it is all micro bubbles which then gets into my display and looks awful. If I turn the valve ALL the way down it STILL overflows. If I do not touch the valve it overflows and after about 2-3 weeks it settles down ands runs normally. If I keep the valve down eventually the water level goes extremely low inside the chamber.

Other things to note. Water depth is 6.5" on the skimmer. I have tried 7", 6", and 5" inches with the same result. The chamber in which is sits is very small at 14.25x12.5. I again have the SRO-SSS5000INT which I think measures 11x13. I am not sure what else I can tell you but like I mentioned before there is something happening and I can not pinpoint the culprit.

LefkoNJ
08/05/2014, 07:20 PM
Is the air intake clogged up at all? My skimmer did that and the air intake was clogged with salt/calcium build up. Had to use a screw to get it out. Just suggesting

mikeatjac
08/05/2014, 07:34 PM
Sounds like an additive getting into your tank. Only changes when you change water and filters? Try just changing just your water and I think the answer will become clear!

demariners
08/05/2014, 08:04 PM
That's what I'm thinking....air intake is not clogged and I double checked it and cleaned it this weekend.

azjohnny
08/05/2014, 08:34 PM
Could be the superglue, that has been known to make skimmers go crazy

sajihassan
08/06/2014, 04:03 AM
You have to wash the new filter pads three or four times before installing. This will surely stop overflowing.

rounder45
08/06/2014, 07:30 AM
A Couple things to mention regarding my setup. I have tried putting my hands in there and that does't do anything. Not sure where the oil could be coming with.

Let me tell you what happens exactly. So when it is running fine it produces skimmate and a head and works great. Once a month I do the following.

- Turn off all pumps, Skimmer, Bio Pellet Reactor and Phosban reactor.
- Remove 3 canister filters and replace with clean ones (The filters are cleaned with RODI water with a little bleach overnight, then I let them dry for a couple days after power washing them with Tap water)
- Remove all fake corals from the system (They are your standard plastic corals (They are removed and also cleaned with bleach and water and sit for a couple hours to dry)
- Replace about 20-30% of the water, I use RODI water with Instant Ocean sea salt. I leave it overnight with continuous agitation.
- Then make sure corals are dry and place them back into the tank. I use a little super glue to hold them in place
- Turn all pumps back on.

At this point without touching the skimmer it overflows significantly. I would say it is not possible to stop it and it is all micro bubbles which then gets into my display and looks awful. If I turn the valve ALL the way down it STILL overflows. If I do not touch the valve it overflows and after about 2-3 weeks it settles down ands runs normally. If I keep the valve down eventually the water level goes extremely low inside the chamber.

Other things to note. Water depth is 6.5" on the skimmer. I have tried 7", 6", and 5" inches with the same result. The chamber in which is sits is very small at 14.25x12.5. I again have the SRO-SSS5000INT which I think measures 11x13. I am not sure what else I can tell you but like I mentioned before there is something happening and I can not pinpoint the culprit.

oil, or something that causes the same reaction as an oil is what I mean. I would stop the bleaching of everything. Next time you clean, simply rinse and reinsert filter media(no bleaching), leave the fake plastic coral alone in the tank. Remember, this is a place for bacteria to colonize so let them use that surface area in your tank. Also, you sure the corals are safe to bleach regularly? Did the mfg. of the coral suggest you do that? I still might suggest clean all your water change pumps, containers and siphon as well with vinegar.

demariners
08/06/2014, 07:32 AM
I am leaning towards trying that thank you. I have live rock. Sorry forgot to mention that. Te whole tank is live rock with fake coral.