PDA

View Full Version : coral buying

greencrack1166
08/04/2014, 08:30 PM
Hey everybody, im new to hobby. I have a red sea max 250. My tank has been stable with fish for about a month not counting cycle time. Im looking to invest in coral. Does anyone know a reliable and cheap source to buy large coral. Not really interested in starting from frags if possible.

Crooked Reef
08/04/2014, 08:45 PM
Assuming your cycle time was adequate and your tank is truly ready, try liveaquaria or divers den on liveaquaria. I have also gotten a few from saltyunderground.com. Be aware that some corals need more care than others and you will wind up paying a premium for big pieces no matter where they are from. Stores can make more fragging them. Look on craigslist too for someone breaking down an existing system.

Oh, and of course on this site in the local forums.

radobahn
08/04/2014, 10:19 PM
One of my favorites so far is UniqueCorals.com, I've used them a few times and have never had a problem. I've also used Divers Den like Crooked Reef suggested, and also got lucky with a couple ebay purchases. Be careful with coral pics taken under actinics, blue LEDS, etc to make colors pop..

I've seen plenty of large coral colonies for sale but they definitely aren't cheap. I've always started with frags.. good luck :)

Big_Boss_77
08/05/2014, 02:01 AM
On average how long does it take a frag to turn in to a massive colony like you see in the pet store?

Titans_Reef
08/05/2014, 02:37 AM
http://www.exotic-reefs.com is pretty good and has great deals on designer clowns with anemones. All the corals I bought from him have done well and are growing. Which I got a pair of onyx clowns from him and im just waiting on it to come in.

Rob6311
08/05/2014, 07:07 AM
Well my opinion about this is that you should start off with frags, I know they don't look too great for a while but in my experience it's fun watching them grow and prosper, and plus they are cheap, why would you spend so much money on something with no guarentee that it'll live

Rob6311
08/05/2014, 08:02 AM
And especially since you are pretty new to the hobby, you can do all the research in the world and trust me it helps but there is no learning experience then actually doing the hobby because everything you do is a learning experience and I'd hate for someone to buy a $200 coral and have it die on you. Because that would be a bad learning experience, I mean it might help in the future but you'd be out $200

Mcgeezer
08/05/2014, 11:23 AM
http://www.exotic-reefs.com is pretty good and has great deals on designer clowns with anemones. All the corals I bought from him have done well and are growing. Which I got a pair of onyx clowns from him and im just waiting on it to come in.

I live local so i have seen their set up in person and can go over and hand pick my coral. They specialize in clowns. They dont have much of a selection on SPS at all, but they always carry crazy LPS pieces and always seem to find something unique like Australian Spider Sponges.

FYI-Their prices are VERY cheap

Honestly, buying frags or "small" colonies is best in the long run. Its much cheaper and you get the pleasure of watching them grow and turn into something spectacular.

NJAB
08/05/2014, 05:00 PM
Wow uniquecorals.com has $19 shipping sweet!, but i also agree with everyone on here about starting with frags it's interesting watching them spread across your rocks. If your impatient i would start with a frag of electric green star polyps they seem to spread the fastest, Zoanthids also spread moderately fast and so do mushrooms, however mushrooms I would purchase something that really pops color wise to you, as they do spread and its better to have neon colored colorful mushrooms spreading then dull brownish ones just 2 cents though.

aggie13reef
08/05/2014, 09:09 PM
I will agree with the others that say starting with frags is the way to go. I wanted the big established colonies also when I started but after a few frags and 3 months, I will say I can notice growth and it is exciting! Others may shake their head when I say this but I bought a small xenia frag and it is growing rapidly, very neat haha!