PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get my skimmer a bit dryer...

inetmug
08/05/2014, 01:20 PM
180G Predator downdraft.....

I had it dialed in pretty well, two full turns on the return gate valve, input full open and air full open... it would skim just about right, some into the overflow bottle.

I added two anenomies, one leather coral, and ever since it is wet wet. Even with the gate valve full open. The water from the overflow looks like tea, so it is doing something for sure, and the cup looks about right, so I am not exactly sure what is happening.

Looking for the general combinations of things here.

inetmug
08/05/2014, 06:52 PM
Come on you ex-predator guys.... :-)

inetmug
08/06/2014, 09:45 PM
So how do you get any skimmer dryer?

Is the idea to minimize the flow through a skimmer to get more bubble contract time?

tony727
08/06/2014, 09:56 PM
I have the same question, but I have a Vertex Omega..

ca1ore
08/06/2014, 10:19 PM
If you are asking what I think you are asking, then lowering the water level in the skimmer will generate a drier foam.

inetmug
08/06/2014, 10:44 PM
If you are asking what I think you are asking, then lowering the water level in the skimmer will generate a drier foam.

yeah, that's what I am asking, but I did that LOL. This is an external skimmer.

I opened the gate valve all the way, now I have the pump turned back a bit. I noticed if I restrict the air flow, it also comes down. Odd thing is this thing seemed perfect for a long time. Nitrates are 10, so its not like I have a super dirty tank right now.

What about dirty skimmer? THe cup has mung on it, but I see skimmers all the time that are narly.

I did have the filter pads break through, which did let a large amount of kaka into the sump.

azjohnny
08/07/2014, 04:44 AM
My guess its the coral addition, since the foam was dryer before you added them. There could be a chemical war going on between them. Adding a media reactor with carbon should help

ken6217
08/07/2014, 07:53 AM
My guess its the coral addition, since the foam was dryer before you added them. There could be a chemical war going on between them. Adding a media reactor with carbon should help

If you have you lowered the level and it still is not working for you, cut back on the air. Putting as much air into a skimmer doesn't make it better. It's a balance.
Ken