PDA

View Full Version : dripping snails

StartrTank
08/06/2014, 05:12 AM
I've had snails in my tank since day 1, they came in with my live rock and made it through the cycle with no problem. I've ordered some more snails and some cleaner shrimp from vivid. I know shrimp are sensitive and need to be drip acclimated, but what about the snails? Can the snails just be added into my tank or should I drip them too?

whosurcaddie
08/06/2014, 07:05 AM
Snails are very sensitive to salinity changes but having them shipped means ammonia is going to build up in the bag. So when you open the bag and the water gets exposed to the air the ammonia level is going to rise very fast. So the best method when you get snails shipped is to just float with the bag closed and then drop them in.

If you get any from your LFS I recommend drip acclimation to match salinity.

StartrTank
08/06/2014, 08:38 AM
Snails are very sensitive to salinity changes but having them shipped means ammonia is going to build up in the bag. So when you open the bag and the water gets exposed to the air the ammonia level is going to rise very fast. So the best method when you get snails shipped is to just float with the bag closed and then drop them in.

If you get any from your LFS I recommend drip acclimation to match salinity.

Thank you for the reply. Does the same hold true for the shrimp? Should I float the bag to acclimate them to the water temp and then drop them in or should I drip them?

thegrun
08/06/2014, 08:46 AM
I like to float the bag before opening to match temperatures to my tank. Then test a sample of the water the shrimp or snails came in and if the salinity is close to the salinity of the tank place them directly in the tank. If the salinity is off by more than 0.002 then I quickly make a small quantity of saltwater that matches the water the shrimp came in, place the shimp in that water and drip acclimate.

Nina51
08/06/2014, 08:50 AM
I like to float the bag before opening to match temperatures to my tank. Then test a sample of the water the shrimp or snails came in and if the salinity is close to the salinity of the tank place them directly in the tank. If the salinity is off by more than 0.002 then I quickly make a small quantity of saltwater that matches the water the shrimp came in, place the shimp in that water and drip acclimate.

i've been trying to figure out the best way and that ^ sounds like a winner!

when i have ordered from reefcleaners.org, they always say to just dump the snails right into the tank. i'm getting a yellow wrasse today from LA and had to order a few snails to get myself up to the minimum order amount so i will follow your suggestion!

StartrTank
08/06/2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks, I contacted Vivid and they stated they keep their water at 1.025 SG, I'll obviously double check it when I get the shipment but my DT is at exactly that, 1.025. The thing I'm more worried about is my Alk which is 11-12dKH. If they are used to being in water that is say 8 or 9 dKH, how stressful/harmful would it be to add them to my water at 11dKH? I was going to try doing another water change tonight to lower my KH but that all depends on when I get to leave work today.

Sk8r
08/06/2014, 09:24 AM
Alk mismatch is not much issue on tough species. They should be fine.

StartrTank
08/06/2014, 09:25 AM
Great!!! Thank you Sk8r, that had me worried.

whosurcaddie
08/06/2014, 03:48 PM
That's a great idea I never even thought of doing it like that. Thanks for the imput.