PDA

View Full Version : Fragging live aquaria mini colonies

theoregonian
08/06/2014, 02:50 PM
Is it ok to frag mini sps colonies into 3 or 4 small frags as soon as they arrive and are brown from shipping? Do you need to wait for the coral to acclimate, color up?

SPS Tamer
08/06/2014, 02:57 PM
I would wait if they brown. Fragging might stressed them out. Unless they are receding already. Also fragging immediately probably will void the 14 day alive guarantee.

PaleHorse
08/07/2014, 01:49 AM
I would wait if they brown. Fragging might stressed them out. Unless they are receding already. Also fragging immediately probably will void the 14 day alive guarantee.

+1 just wait, unless you need money like asap.

theoregonian
08/07/2014, 10:22 AM
Nah.. don't need the money... I don't have qt tank and am not excited about adding the small base rock to the dt... I was thinking I would chop the base rock off and cut the coral into a few frags all for my own tank. I will dip first but don't think the wife is going to be ok with another tank around the house. Do you think It would be ok to cut the base rock off and then wait a month or 2 to frag it?

Tweaked
08/07/2014, 02:10 PM
Cutting the base rock off of maricultured colonies purchased is not only common, but recommended. I would cut, dip, and mount to something of your own and wait for some coloring and new growth. More than likely the growth will come at the base first as it encrusts. GL

theoregonian
08/07/2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks... I plan on doing as you recommended.