PDA

View Full Version : Two quick questions

Rob6311
08/07/2014, 06:57 AM
1. What kind of light is required for your sump/refugium?
2. What is the point in putting little critters in your sump? Will they still contribute to the overall display tank?

Dmorty217
08/07/2014, 07:08 AM
1. I use a plant light bulb I purchased from lowes and a 8" reflector
2. The little critters aren't put in the sump but rather grow and reproduce there. Copepods,amphipods, small starfish, fan worms, bristle worms all will flourish in a sump and make their way into the DT

thegrun
08/07/2014, 07:15 AM
I have LEDs now, but I used a 16 Watt compact fluorescent flood light 5400K available at any hardware store for years.

Rob6311
08/07/2014, 12:14 PM
Like does it need to be a good light to be able to sustain anything? Or just a light to light it up?

MondoBongo
08/07/2014, 12:30 PM
depends on what you want in your fuge area.

most people who set up an actual fuge want to grow macro algae in it. otherwise it wouldn't really be a fuge i suppose. for growing macro you have a wide variety of lighting choices, but typically people look for something with a color temp around 6500K, which green plants like. as long as you can meet the spectrum and intensity requirement, the light fits, and it is safe (i.e. no electrocution hazard or overheating), you should be good to go.

i've also seen some people do a "display fuge" as well, which may or may not contain macro. if you're not trying to grow macro in it, then the lighting requirements could be different.